Re: [News] [Rights] (UK) The analogue TV shutdown has begun ... MS-BBC must guarantee digital access to all - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rights] (UK) The analogue TV shutdown has begun ... MS-BBC must guarantee digital access to all - Linux ; [H]omer did eloquently scribble: > For some, access to BBC content is now only available in a digital > format, and as Digital Terrestrial does not serve 100% of the UK, that > means many will only be able to ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rights] (UK) The analogue TV shutdown has begun ... MS-BBC must guarantee digital access to all

    [H]omer did eloquently scribble:
    > For some, access to BBC content is now only available in a digital
    > format, and as Digital Terrestrial does not serve 100% of the UK, that
    > means many will only be able to access the Beeb over the Internet (or
    > pay twice for BBC content by buying a Sky subscription /and/ paying a
    > license fee to the Beeb).

    Bad analysis, homer.
    Whitehaven is the only place currently with digital only bbc2 and they DO
    have digital terrestrial tv for that channel in the area. (and all the
    others of course)...

    And as the roll-off continues, the digital signal will be boosted in power
    in the areas where analogue is turned off so it will reach areas it doesn't
    at the moment. By the time all analogue has been turned off, digital should
    reach 100% of the UK.

  2. Re: [News] [Rights] (UK) The analogue TV shutdown has begun ... MS-BBC must guarantee digital access to all

    spike1@freenet.co.uk espoused:
    > [H]omer did eloquently scribble:
    >> For some, access to BBC content is now only available in a digital
    >> format, and as Digital Terrestrial does not serve 100% of the UK, that
    >> means many will only be able to access the Beeb over the Internet (or
    >> pay twice for BBC content by buying a Sky subscription /and/ paying a
    >> license fee to the Beeb).

    > Bad analysis, homer.
    > Whitehaven is the only place currently with digital only bbc2 and they DO
    > have digital terrestrial tv for that channel in the area. (and all the
    > others of course)...
    >
    > And as the roll-off continues, the digital signal will be boosted in power
    > in the areas where analogue is turned off so it will reach areas it doesn't
    > at the moment. By the time all analogue has been turned off, digital should
    > reach 100% of the UK.

    Also, the BBC channels on Astra and Hotbird (for BBC World) are FTA, so
    you can receive them with any satellite receiver, you don't need a Sky
    box or any subscription.

  3. Re: [News] [Rights] (UK) The analogue TV shutdown has begun ... MS-BBC must guarantee digital access to all

    Mark Kent did eloquently scribble:
    > spike1@freenet.co.uk espoused:
    >> [H]omer did eloquently scribble:
    >>> For some, access to BBC content is now only available in a digital
    >>> format, and as Digital Terrestrial does not serve 100% of the UK, that
    >>> means many will only be able to access the Beeb over the Internet (or
    >>> pay twice for BBC content by buying a Sky subscription /and/ paying a
    >>> license fee to the Beeb).

    >> Bad analysis, homer.
    >> Whitehaven is the only place currently with digital only bbc2 and they DO
    >> have digital terrestrial tv for that channel in the area. (and all the
    >> others of course)...
    >>
    >> And as the roll-off continues, the digital signal will be boosted in power
    >> in the areas where analogue is turned off so it will reach areas it doesn't
    >> at the moment. By the time all analogue has been turned off, digital should
    >> reach 100% of the UK.

    > Also, the BBC channels on Astra and Hotbird (for BBC World) are FTA, so
    > you can receive them with any satellite receiver, you don't need a Sky
    > box or any subscription.

    AND even if you do have a skybox, all you need is a free to view card for it
    and you get all the free to air channels without paying them a penny.

    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |