USB support,; is it still work in progress? - Linux

This is a discussion on USB support,; is it still work in progress? - Linux ; Just a quick question: is Linux USB code still actively maintained? I'm a little confused. USB Linux docs around seem to be very old and outdated (e.g. www.linux-usb.org ). It seems to me that there is something in the kernel ...

  1. USB support,; is it still work in progress?

    Just a quick question: is Linux USB code still actively maintained?
    I'm a little confused. USB Linux docs around seem to be very old and
    outdated (e.g. www.linux-usb.org).

    It seems to me that there is something in the kernel (2.6 makes use of
    Linus' USB code, right?) but there is much more in the wild (very many
    USB peripherals modules which generally don't collaborate with each
    other; see the various webcam modules around).

    I am a very fan of Linux, I'm switching back to Linux after a long time
    spent with MS, but I don't like this scenario. Is there something I am
    missing?

    Robi

  2. Re: USB support,; is it still work in progress?

    Another example:

    USB Mass Storage Driver for Linux
    Last updated 14 July 2002.
    http://www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~mdharm/linux-usb/

    Robi

  3. Re: USB support,; is it still work in progress?

    Robicd wrote:

    > Just a quick question: is Linux USB code still actively maintained?

    Yep; http://www.linux-usb.org/

  4. Re: USB support,; is it still work in progress?

    > Just a quick question: is Linux USB code still actively maintained? I'm
    > a little confused. USB Linux docs around seem to be very old and
    > outdated (e.g. www.linux-usb.org).

    Yes, it's still maintained. And still a WIP. Just check the changelogs
    on kernel.org

    There's quite a few quirky boards though that may never be "fully"
    supported. usb-storage works mostly since 2.4.23 for me. 2.6.11 seems to
    work to, although dri seems to have broke in that version. But at least
    acpi appears to be fixed.

    As long as you don't have a via board you should be okay. My KT133/KM133
    laptop has always been quirky with regards to linux usb. My mom's KM400
    board is still too new(although technically old now) to tell much, but
    snd-via82xx puts out messages to try dsx_ parms and crackles a lot. And
    the agpgart on 2.4.29 barks about not being able to detect the apperture
    size. And at least 20% of the lspci returns are "unknown device"'s.

    Shadow_7

+ Reply to Thread