Good time to be Microsoft - RECORD SALES and all. - Linux

This is a discussion on Good time to be Microsoft - RECORD SALES and all. - Linux ; Sweeeet. Good to see all those people out there buying laptops with Vista and other MS products. Since laptop sales are so strong you know those people ain't running linux cause linux don't have no support for wireless wifi and ...

  1. Good time to be Microsoft - RECORD SALES and all.

    Sweeeet. Good to see all those people out there buying laptops with
    Vista and other MS products. Since laptop sales are so strong you know
    those people ain't running linux cause linux don't have no support for
    wireless wifi and power management is basically a joke compared to
    what Windows can do.

    http://idc.com/getdoc.jsp;jsessionid...d=prUS20914007

    PC Market Continues To Accelerate With Boost From EMEA, According To
    IDC

    FRAMINGHAM, Mass., October 17, 2007 - Worldwide PC shipments grew by
    15.5% in the third quarter of 2007 (3Q07), according to IDC's
    Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker. Most regions continued to grow close
    to the pace of recent quarters, but EMEA saw a significant increase in
    Portable PC demand. Across regions, strong consumer and Small and
    Medium Business demand was supported by back-to-school promotions and
    competition for retail and SMB channels. A strong Euro and rising
    investment throughout EMEA helped accelerate the trend, pushing global
    growth to rates not seen since the end of 2005.

  2. Re: Good time to be Microsoft - RECORD SALES and all.

    Micoshaft Asstrotrufing Impersonator of Sinister Midget wrote on behalf
    Micoshaft Corporation:

    > Sweeeet. Good to see all those people out there buying laptops with
    > Vista and other MS products.

    We are not interested in Micoshat products.

    You are posting off topic in a Linux newsgroup.
    You are also asstroturfing here on behalf of Micoshat corporation.

    If you are unfamiliar with Linux I suggest you install some
    before posting here again.

    http://www.distrowatch.com
    http://www.livecdlist.com

  3. Re: Good time to be Microsoft - RECORD SALES and all.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7

    wrote
    on Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:49:46 GMT
    <_xQRi.33524$c_1.28254@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>:
    > Micoshaft Asstrotrufing Impersonator of Sinister Midget wrote on behalf
    > Micoshaft Corporation:
    >

    >> Sweeeet. Good to see all those people out there buying laptops with
    >> Vista and other MS products.

    > We are not interested in Micoshat products.

    Aren't we? Of course, the main reason for any interest at
    all in Vista from COLA's standpoint is simply to ensure
    that Vista hasn't overshadowed Linux in capability;
    after all, we're supposed to be better than Windows,
    and if Windows is better than Linux, then we've not
    quite succeeded. I won't say "failed"; Linux has yet to
    succeed in market revenue, and may never succeed in market
    revenue as long as Microsoft Windows remains a monopoly.

    Of course part of that is simply that Linux is far more
    inexpensive than certain other offerings; it's hard to beat
    market revenue if Vista is $349 a pop while Linux is like
    $29.95, even if the two split the number of seats 50-50.

    Couple that with Linux's infinite duplicability (legally!)
    and one has a success from an installation standpoint,
    but not from a revenue-gathering one. Big deal. I want
    something that *works*, not something that generates
    billions of dollars of revenue for a corporation a year.
    A corporation that I don't work for (although they are
    a customer and a vendor of $EMPLOYER, for better or for
    worse).

    > You are posting off topic in a Linux newsgroup.

    Well...that might be up to the real Sinister Midget,
    wherever he's gone off to. Presumably, this impersonating
    dork is trying to impugn the former's reputation, by the
    usual methods of sowing fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

    > You are also asstroturfing here on behalf of Micoshat corporation.
    >
    > If you are unfamiliar with Linux I suggest you install some
    > before posting here again.
    >
    > http://www.distrowatch.com
    > http://www.livecdlist.com

    One might also consult various websites for the listing
    of Linux preinstalls:

    http://www.linux.org/vendor/

    comes to mind.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Warning: This encrypted signature is a dangerous munition.
    Please notify the US government immediately upon reception.
    0000 0000 0000 0000 0001 0000 0000 0000 ...

  4. Re: Good time to be Microsoft - RECORD SALES and all.

    "7" schreef in bericht
    news:_xQRi.33524$c_1.28254@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    > Micoshaft Asstrotrufing
    > Micoshaft Corporation:
    > Micoshat products.
    > asstroturfing .... Micoshat corporation.

    Your spell checker is ****ed!
    B.T.W.
    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...=Windows+Vista
    WOW!!!!!!

  5. Re: Good time to be Microsoft - RECORD SALES and all.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Clogwog

    wrote
    on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:14:46 +0200
    <20071019151458.D3E2F1C00093@mwinf6101.orange.nl>:
    > "7" schreef in bericht
    > news:_xQRi.33524$c_1.28254@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    >> Micoshaft Asstrotrufing
    >> Micoshaft Corporation:
    >> Micoshat products.
    >> asstroturfing .... Micoshat corporation.

    > Your spell checker is ****ed!
    > B.T.W.
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...=Windows+Vista
    > WOW!!!!!!

    Indeed; we do need to ensure that we do this properly.
    I'll have to examine this issue.

    First off, one has to ask what one means by "spell
    checker". Clearly, there are many variants of a tool by
    which one can verify American English content (the only
    content that matters, clearly, since American English
    is the dominant language [#]). One can make a case that
    the only authorized "spell checker" utility would be one
    developed and distributed by a dominant American company,
    within the software sphere -- namely, Microsoft.

    Second off, one has to look at the requirements of that
    spell checking utility. Either the utility is part of
    Microsoft Windows or part of Microsoft Word. If it's the
    former, so be it; anyone not using Microsoft Windows cannot
    use that spell checker unless Microsoft authorizes ports of
    sufficient amounts of Windows to other operating systems
    such as Linux (assuming such are even possible[*]), or
    some enterprising hacker breaks the law (in this case,
    the DMCA, presumably) by providing unauthorized ports.
    Can't be too careful with al Qaeda running amuck; it might
    lead to dancing.

    If it's the latter, then clearly one needs to purchase
    Microsoft Word, which again only legally runs on Microsoft
    Windows.

    Therefore, Microsoft is now in a rather unique position of
    enforcing proper usage of American English. Presumably,
    the dictionary will include various terms, including:

    - Multiplatform: Any platform that can run Windows Vista.
    - Multiuser: More than one user can use a machine
    running Windows Vista, one at a time, presumably.
    - Multitask: One can do more than one thing with Windows
    Vista. [+]
    - Network: Any physical/logical transport system that can
    support Windows Vista.
    - Video: Any of a series of technologies innovated by
    Microsoft which show moving images within a window.
    (OK, so that's a bit too generic.)
    - Audio: Any of a series of technologies innovated by
    Microsoft which generate custom air vibrations
    that eventually reach a user's ear. (No, that
    doesn't count fans and drives, but bear with me.)
    - Desktop: Any computer that fits on one's desktop
    or underneath it, and is capable of running Microsoft
    Windows Vista.
    - Modern desktop: Any computer that fits on one's desktop
    or underneath it, and is capable of running Microsoft
    Windows Vista with Aero.
    - Old desktop: Any computer that fits on one's desktop
    or underneath it, and is capable of running Microsoft
    Windows Vista, but without Aero. [!]
    - Ancient desktop: Any computer that fits on one's
    desktop or underneath it, and is incapable of running
    Microsoft Windows Vista.
    - Mobile: Any portable device capable of running Microsoft
    Windows Vista (usually Embedded Edition). [@]

    .... and so on. A more sophisticated variant of the checker
    might include proper trademark, registered trademark,
    and copyright declarations, and replacing terms such
    as "windows" with the more proper "Microsoft Windows
    Vista", and allowing the user to specify which edition
    is meant in the context, if it's not otherwise obvious to
    the spell checker.

    [#] I'll admit to wondering how the Chinese and Japanese
    check their documents for linguistic accuracy.
    Regrettably, I don't know Chinese or Japanese.
    [*] www.winehq.org is one such attempt, and a darned good
    one too. I don't know as to its legality, but it has
    been reputed to run Word, and I *know* it can run IE
    6 -- since I often use IE 6 on my Linux machine here
    at work. (It's a dual-boot so it's legal AFAIK.)

    [+] Multitasking has always been a bit of a misnomer on
    single-processor, single-core machines. Basically,
    the user is fooled into thinking more than one task
    is running, though in reality the processor can do
    only one thing at a time. Of course there are many
    quirks, among them the GPU in modern video cards,
    multicore machines, auxiliary processors (the Amiga
    had some very interesting chips that could be called
    such, but even a UART could be construed as such, in
    modems more expensive than the single-bit "WinModem"
    variety), and of course a second processor in those
    machines that support it.

    [!] OK, so this definition excludes such golden oldies
    as the Amiga, Commodore 64, Atari 400, 800, 1200XC,
    520, and 1040, the TRS-80, the Osborne 1, Coleco
    Adam, the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A, the Tandy/Radio
    Shack TRS-80, the original 5150 IBM PC, the PC-AT,
    the ill-fated PCjr, the Atari 2600 (to some extent,
    but there was a keyboard option at one point for it),
    the Heathkit H8 and H11, the 1802 "Elf" and mutant
    variants, the "Homebrewcpu" (www.homebrewcpu.com),
    and the venerable Apple 1, ][, ///, and GS, and most
    Macintoshes, not to mention a number of engineering
    workstation machines such as the Apollo DOMAIN (which
    I used way back), Microvaxes, the NGEN (an obscure
    286/386 platform used at Convergent Technologies at
    one point), Sun SPARCs, HP PA Risc, IBM RS series,
    and Alpha-based stuff.

    But never mind those; Microsoft is looking *forward*,
    and the view is incredible (as they fall off the cliff,
    but that's why it's called Vista, right?)

    [@] Microsoft wishes. Admittedly, AFAIK most mobile
    systems run a variant of Symbian, though both Microsoft
    (with CE) and Linux are making some inroads therein.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #992398129:
    void f(unsigned u) { if(u < 0) ... }