[News] [OT] RIAA Will Not Survive with Its Broken Business Model - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [OT] RIAA Will Not Survive with Its Broken Business Model - Linux ; Business Model Gone Bad: The Music and Movie Edition ,----[ Quote ] | How Realistic is this new Business Model? | | How realistic is this? I think it is very realistic. `---- http://www.5thwind.com/?p=58 Related: Radiohead album bets on fast ...

  1. [News] [OT] RIAA Will Not Survive with Its Broken Business Model

    Business Model Gone Bad: The Music and Movie Edition

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | How Realistic is this new Business Model?
    |
    | How realistic is this? I think it is very realistic.
    `----

    http://www.5thwind.com/?p=58

    Related:

    Radiohead album bets on fast release, open pricing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The release of popular rock group Radiohead's new album next week is the
    | latest wake-up call for a music industry still struggling to deal with the
    | advent of digital music, experts say. *
    `----

    http://www.news.com/Radiohead-album-...l?tag=nefd.top

    Defendant: RIAA abusing courts to shore up "failing business model"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After the lawsuit was filed, Njuguna said she boxed up the PC reportedly used
    | for infringement and purchased a new one. She then filed a series of
    | counterclaims to the RIAA's lawsuit in an attempt to have the lawsuit
    | dismissed and her name cleared. One of those accuses the record labels of
    | failing to negotiate in good faith. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Njugana also accuses the RIAA of engaging in deceptive and unfair trade
    | practices, arguing that the record labels have demonstrated repeated behavior
    | that has an "adverse effect on the public interest." She also cites former
    | RIAA defendant Tanya Andersen's lawsuit (which seeks class-action status) as
    | evidence that, unless the courts step in at some point, the RIAA will
    | continue its campaign. * *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ess-model.html

    The RIAA will come to regret its court win

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And, he told his blog readers: "If [the industry tries to] keep up the
    | strategy of 'you need us badly and therefore we make the rules' you will lose
    | the artists, their managers... and the audience. Another 12 months for this
    | Radiohead experiment to become the default approach. Get engaged or get
    | outmoded. And do it soon."
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10..._riaa_comment/

    Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed suit today against Universal
    | Music Publishing Group (UMPG), asking a federal court to protect the fair use
    | and free speech rights of a mother who posted a short video of her toddler
    | son dancing to a Prince song on the Internet. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/g...sic-dmca-abuse

    Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

    ..----
    | The eagerly awaited new album by Prince is being launched as a free
    | CD with a national Sunday newspaper in a move that has drawn
    | widespread criticism from music retailers.
    `----

    http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

  2. Re: [News] [OT] RIAA Will Not Survive with Its Broken Business Model

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    uhm.... this ain't news.

  3. Re: [News] [OT] RIAA Will Not Survive with Its Broken Business Model

    ____/ Rob Hughes on Friday 19 October 2007 00:20 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > uhm.... this ain't news.

    True.

  4. Re: [OT] RIAA Will Not Survive with Its Broken Business Model

    On Oct 18, 7:20 pm, Rob Hughes wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    > uhm.... this ain't news.

    It is, to me... :-)

    -RFH

  5. Re: [News] [OT] RIAA Will Not Survive with Its Broken Business Model

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Business Model Gone Bad: The Music and Movie Edition

    > Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed suit today
    > against Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG), asking a
    > federal court to protect the fair use and free speech rights
    > of a mother who posted a short video of her toddler son
    > dancing to a Prince song on the Internet.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/g...sic-dmca-abuse

    Yes, rather sad. It discourages amateur efforts at expression.
    In a way it reminds me of the thriving amateur software industry
    until Windows 95 took over. A lot of that effort ceased and
    people became plain users.

    This is why I am happy that Linux is available. It restores a
    lot of the software tools that can be used by average people for
    creativity, that were taken away by the software monopolies due
    to high cost.

    Those tools are of professional grade and available for use, a
    decent learning laboratory.

    --
    HPT

+ Reply to Thread