Study yields PROOF - Linux sucks more electricity than XP or Vista - Linux

This is a discussion on Study yields PROOF - Linux sucks more electricity than XP or Vista - Linux ; http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1 Linux vs. Windows Power Usage Published on October 16, 2007. In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu 7.10 had consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows tested (XP & Vista). Fedora ...

  1. Study yields PROOF - Linux sucks more electricity than XP or Vista

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1

    Linux vs. Windows Power Usage
    Published on October 16, 2007.

    In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu
    7.10 had consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows
    tested (XP & Vista). Fedora and Ubuntu were consuming 65 Watts while
    Windows XP had only consumed 58 Watts and Windows Vista was in the
    middle with 62 Watts.

  2. Re: Study yields PROOF - Linux sucks more electricity than XP or Vista

    ____/ Sinister Midget on Thursday 18 October 2007 00:59 : \____

    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1
    >

    > Linux vs. Windows Power Usage
    > Published on October 16, 2007.
    >
    > In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu
    > 7.10 had consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows
    > tested (XP & Vista). Fedora and Ubuntu were consuming 65 Watts while
    > Windows XP had only consumed 58 Watts and Windows Vista was in the
    > middle with 62 Watts.

    *plonk* Identity thief.

    This is not AB/Sinister Midget. Seems like Scott Douglas nymshifting again...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open syntax, Open API's, Open Source
    Tasks: 124 total, 1 running, 121 sleeping, 0 stopped, 2 zombie

  3. Re: Study yields PROOF - Linux sucks more electricity than XP or Vista

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1
    >

    > Linux vs. Windows Power Usage
    > Published on October 16, 2007.
    >
    > In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu
    > 7.10 had consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows
    > tested (XP & Vista). Fedora and Ubuntu were consuming 65 Watts while
    > Windows XP had only consumed 58 Watts and Windows Vista was in the
    > middle with 62 Watts.

    If battery life on a laptop is any indication, the power consumption of
    Linux is MUCH less. The one proviso is that a power manager be installed
    and configured correctly.

    The other thing is that the default power manager for Ubuntu 7.04 is not
    very good for laptops. I don't know how good it is on desktops. I wonder if
    this has anything to do with the power consumption figures listed.

    Ian

  4. Re: Study yields PROOF - Linux sucks more electricity than XP orVista

    Ian Hilliard wrote:
    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >

    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1
    >>

    >> Linux vs. Windows Power Usage
    >> Published on October 16, 2007.
    >>
    >> In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu
    >> 7.10 had consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows
    >> tested (XP & Vista). Fedora and Ubuntu were consuming 65 Watts while
    >> Windows XP had only consumed 58 Watts and Windows Vista was in the
    >> middle with 62 Watts.

    > If battery life on a laptop is any indication, the power consumption of
    > Linux is MUCH less. The one proviso is that a power manager be installed
    > and configured correctly.
    >
    > The other thing is that the default power manager for Ubuntu 7.04 is not
    > very good for laptops. I don't know how good it is on desktops. I wonder if
    > this has anything to do with the power consumption figures listed.

    I seem to get about the same on both Ubuntu 7.10 and Vista with my
    Inspiron 1420.

  5. Re: Study yields PROOF - Linux sucks more electricity than XP or Vista

    On Oct 18, 4:56 pm, TheLetterK wrote:
    > Ian Hilliard wrote:
    > > Sinister Midget wrote:

    > >>http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1

    > >> Linux vs. Windows Power Usage
    > >> Published on October 16, 2007.

    > >> In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu
    > >> 7.10 had consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows
    > >> tested (XP & Vista). Fedora and Ubuntu were consuming 65 Watts while
    > >> Windows XP had only consumed 58 Watts and Windows Vista was in the
    > >> middle with 62 Watts.

    > > If battery life on a laptop is any indication, the power consumption of
    > > Linux is MUCH less. The one proviso is that a power manager be installed
    > > and configured correctly.

    > > The other thing is that the default power manager for Ubuntu 7.04 is not
    > > very good for laptops. I don't know how good it is on desktops. I wonder if
    > > this has anything to do with the power consumption figures listed.

    > I seem to get about the same on both Ubuntu 7.10 and Vista with my
    > Inspiron 1420.

    How dare you install Vista, troll!!!!

    *plonk*

  6. Re: Study yields PROOF - Linux sucks more electricity than XP or Vista

    "TheLetterK" wrote in message
    > Ian Hilliard wrote:
    >> Sinister Midget wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1
    >>>

    >>> Linux vs. Windows Power Usage
    >>> Published on October 16, 2007.
    >>>
    >>> In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu
    >>> 7.10 had consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows
    >>> tested (XP & Vista). Fedora and Ubuntu were consuming 65 Watts while
    >>> Windows XP had only consumed 58 Watts and Windows Vista was in the
    >>> middle with 62 Watts.

    >> If battery life on a laptop is any indication, the power consumption of
    >> Linux is MUCH less. The one proviso is that a power manager be installed
    >> and configured correctly. The other thing is that the default power
    >> manager for Ubuntu 7.04 is not
    >> very good for laptops. I don't know how good it is on desktops. I wonder
    >> if
    >> this has anything to do with the power consumption figures listed.

    > I seem to get about the same on both Ubuntu 7.10 and Vista with my
    > Inspiron 1420.

    With my laptop I usually get about 14 hours of battery life with Windows.
    With linux it's about 1.5 hours.

  7. Re: Study yields PROOF - Linux sucks more electricity than XP orVista

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1

    > In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu 7.10 had consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows tested (XP & Vista) ..

    "All software was left at their default settings and configuration .. If
    you have any additional questions, interested in other benchmarks, or
    would like to share your thoughts, be sure to stop by the Phoronix Forums"

    Why not test the power usage after it has been tweaked ...

    Why not benchmark the software, oh wait, you have to get PERMIS~1 to do
    that ..

    re: power usage, set the hard drive to spindown when not in use, set the
    system to go into hibernate when not in use for over twenty minutes.
    Personally I want a fully responsive system which is why I don't use
    these settings. What a waste of an 'article' ...

  8. Re: Study yields PROOF - Linux sucks more electricity than XP orVista

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:35:11 -0400, Sue Romer wrote:

    > With my laptop I usually get about 14 hours of battery life with
    > Windows. With linux it's about 1.5 hours.

    Surely you're not contending that the Windows operating system is ten
    times more energy efficient?

    -Thufir

  9. Re: Study yields PROOF - Linux sucks more electricity than XP or Vista

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:35:11 -0400, Sue Romer wrote:

    > With my laptop I usually get about 14 hours of battery life with Windows.
    > With linux it's about 1.5 hours.

    Please tell us what laptop gets 14 hours from a battery while doing
    anything but sitting idle. I want one of those.

    --
    -| Bob Hauck
    -| "Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert

+ Reply to Thread