version of Fedora - Linux

This is a discussion on version of Fedora - Linux ; ~]# uname -a Linux ls2 2.6.9-1.667 #1 Tue Nov 2 14:41:25 EST 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux How can I tell from this which version of Fedora is running?...

  1. version of Fedora

    ~]# uname -a
    Linux ls2 2.6.9-1.667 #1 Tue Nov 2 14:41:25 EST 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

    How can I tell from this which version of Fedora is running?

  2. Re: version of Fedora

    cat /etc/redhat-release

    :crp: wrote:
    > ~]# uname -a
    > Linux ls2 2.6.9-1.667 #1 Tue Nov 2 14:41:25 EST 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
    >
    > How can I tell from this which version of Fedora is running?

  3. Re: version of Fedora

    Todd Blake wrote in news:kNidnepxGr_4tKPfRVn-
    jA@comcast.com:

    > cat /etc/redhat-release

    Wow, that really works.

    [ohmster@ohmster ohmster]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
    Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
    [ohmster@ohmster ohmster]$

    Thanks for the tip.

    --
    ~Ohmster
    ohmster at newsguy dot com

  4. Re: version of Fedora

    Ohmster wrote:

    > Todd Blake wrote in news:kNidnepxGr_4tKPfRVn-
    > jA@comcast.com:
    >
    >> cat /etc/redhat-release

    > Wow, that really works.
    >
    > [ohmster@ohmster ohmster]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
    > Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
    > [ohmster@ohmster ohmster]$
    >
    > Thanks for the tip.

    Another way is cat /etc/issue or cat /etc/issue.net
    this is the same info you see at a login screen or
    virtual console (like Alt+Cntl+F3 )
    Mark

  5. Re: version of Fedora

    Gumby wrote in news:L_r%d.11056$GI6.8335@trnddc05:

    > Another way is cat /etc/issue or cat /etc/issue.net
    > this is the same info you see at a login screen or
    > virtual console (like Alt+Cntl+F3 )
    > Mark

    Kewl! I love tips like this, thanks Mark.

    --
    ~Ohmster
    ohmster at newsguy dot com

  6. Re: version of Fedora

    }
    }> Another way is cat /etc/issue or cat /etc/issue.net
    }> this is the same info you see at a login screen or
    }> virtual console (like Alt+Cntl+F3 )
    }> Mark

    Thanks all, it was a big help. I thought uname took info from these files
    but I guess not.

  7. Re: version of Fedora

    Ohmster wrote:
    > Gumby wrote in news:L_r%d.11056$GI6.8335@trnddc05:
    >

    >>Another way is cat /etc/issue or cat /etc/issue.net
    >>this is the same info you see at a login screen or
    >>virtual console (like Alt+Cntl+F3 )
    >>Mark

    > Kewl! I love tips like this, thanks Mark.

    Actually all security minded sys admins delete that info
    from /etc/issue*. Because issue* is shown to anyone
    without logging in, it is dangerous to show your exact
    system and kernel version there. Evil-minded hackers
    can use that information better than your legitimate
    users. Your issue* files should be more useful to
    users than evil-doers, something like:

    Welcome to MySystem.org!

    to identify which system they are connected to.

    -Wayne

+ Reply to Thread