FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously. - Linux

This is a discussion on FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously. - Linux ; (from http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9798715-38.html ) October 16, 2007 5:56 PM PDT RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously. Posted by Declan McCullagh The Recording Industry Association of America has found a new legal target for a copyright lawsuit: Usenet. In a ...

  1. FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    (from http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9798715-38.html )

    October 16, 2007 5:56 PM PDT
    RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.
    Posted by Declan McCullagh
    The Recording Industry Association of America has found a new legal target
    for a copyright lawsuit: Usenet.

    In a lawsuit filed on October 12, the RIAA says that Usenet newsgroups
    contain "millions of copyrighted sound recordings" in violation of federal
    law.

    Only Usenet.com is named as a defendant for now, but the same logic would
    let the RIAA sue hundreds of universities, Internet service providers, and
    other newsgroup archives. AT&T offers Usenet, as does Verizon, Stanford
    University and other companies including Giganews.

    That's what makes this lawsuit important. If the RIAA can win against
    Usenet.com, other Usenet providers are at legal risk, too.

    For those of you who are relative newcomers to the Internet, Usenet was a
    wildly popular way to distribute conversations and binary files long before
    the Web or peer-to-peer networks existed. It's divided up into tens of
    thousands of "newsgroups"--discussion areas arranged hierarchically and
    sporting names like sci.med.aids, rec.motorcycles, and comp.os.linux.admin.
    A handful are moderated; most are not. For efficiency's sake, recent posts
    to newsgroups are stored on the Usenet provider's server (as opposed to
    saved on a subscriber's computer as mailing lists are).

    Some newsgroups, like alt.binaries.pictures, are devoted to the distribution
    of binary files. Of particular relevance to the RIAA lawsuit is that there
    are around 652 newsgroups with the phrase "MP3" in their names. (For storage
    space reasons, not all Usenet providers offer binary newsgroups. Google's
    Web-based interface to Usenet doesn't, for instance.)

    The RIAA sued Usenet.com, which is based in Fargo, N.D., in the southern
    district of New York. The lawsuit claims Usenet.com encourages its customers
    to pay up to $19 a month by enticing them with copyrighted music, and asks
    for a permanent injunction barring the company from "aiding, encouraging,
    enabling, inducing, causing, materially contributing to, or otherwise
    facilitating" copyright infringement.

    There are some differences between Usenet.com and some of the other
    newsgroup providers that will help the RIAA. Usenet.com boasts that signing
    up for an account "gives you access to millions of MP3 files and also
    enables you to post your own files the same way and share them with the
    whole world."

    Clearly they didn't run that language by their lawyers first.

    So will the RIAA win? Thanks to improvident boasts like that, they stand a
    good chance. One reason the U.S. Supreme Court ruled against Grokster is
    that the justices believed that StreamCast's executives had tried to lure
    pirates into using the Morpheus application. The justices also said that
    neither company filtered copyrighted material and "the business models
    employed by Grokster and StreamCast confirm that their principal object was
    use of their software to download copyrighted works."

    What the RIAA's doing here is a classic litigation strategy: sue someone who
    a judge is likely to say is a clear offender, and then invoke that decision
    when targeting someone who's a more marginal case. Usenet.com may be first,
    in other words, but newsgroup providers like AT&T, Verizon, and Stanford may
    well be next.

  2. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    In article , jim@home.net
    says...
    > (from http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9798715-38.html )
    >
    > October 16, 2007 5:56 PM PDT
    > RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.
    > Posted by Declan McCullagh
    > The Recording Industry Association of America has found a new legal target
    > for a copyright lawsuit: Usenet.
    >
    > In a lawsuit filed on October 12, the RIAA says that Usenet newsgroups
    > contain "millions of copyrighted sound recordings" in violation of federal
    > law.
    >
    > Only Usenet.com is named as a defendant for now, but the same logic would
    > let the RIAA sue hundreds of universities, Internet service providers, and
    > other newsgroup archives. AT&T offers Usenet, as does Verizon, Stanford
    > University and other companies including Giganews.
    >
    > That's what makes this lawsuit important. If the RIAA can win against
    > Usenet.com, other Usenet providers are at legal risk, too.
    >
    > For those of you who are relative newcomers to the Internet, Usenet was a
    > wildly popular way to distribute conversations and binary files long before
    > the Web or peer-to-peer networks existed. It's divided up into tens of
    > thousands of "newsgroups"--discussion areas arranged hierarchically and
    > sporting names like sci.med.aids, rec.motorcycles, and comp.os.linux.admin.
    > A handful are moderated; most are not. For efficiency's sake, recent posts
    > to newsgroups are stored on the Usenet provider's server (as opposed to
    > saved on a subscriber's computer as mailing lists are).

    I think it will be a great day, like the early days of Usenet, when they
    stop allowing mime encoded attachments to messages. If usenet went back
    to non-binaries it would be a great place again, and ISP's would not
    have to outsource their service to larger companies that specialize in
    Usenet service.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  3. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 07:03:19 -0400, Leythos wrote:

    > In article , jim@home.net
    > says...
    >> (from http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9798715-38.html )
    >>
    >> October 16, 2007 5:56 PM PDT
    >> RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.
    >> Posted by Declan McCullagh
    >> The Recording Industry Association of America has found a new legal target
    >> for a copyright lawsuit: Usenet.
    >>
    >> In a lawsuit filed on October 12, the RIAA says that Usenet newsgroups
    >> contain "millions of copyrighted sound recordings" in violation of federal
    >> law.
    >>
    >> Only Usenet.com is named as a defendant for now, but the same logic would
    >> let the RIAA sue hundreds of universities, Internet service providers, and
    >> other newsgroup archives. AT&T offers Usenet, as does Verizon, Stanford
    >> University and other companies including Giganews.
    >>
    >> That's what makes this lawsuit important. If the RIAA can win against
    >> Usenet.com, other Usenet providers are at legal risk, too.
    >>
    >> For those of you who are relative newcomers to the Internet, Usenet was a
    >> wildly popular way to distribute conversations and binary files long before
    >> the Web or peer-to-peer networks existed. It's divided up into tens of
    >> thousands of "newsgroups"--discussion areas arranged hierarchically and
    >> sporting names like sci.med.aids, rec.motorcycles, and comp.os.linux.admin.
    >> A handful are moderated; most are not. For efficiency's sake, recent posts
    >> to newsgroups are stored on the Usenet provider's server (as opposed to
    >> saved on a subscriber's computer as mailing lists are).

    > I think it will be a great day, like the early days of Usenet, when they
    > stop allowing mime encoded attachments to messages. If usenet went back
    > to non-binaries it would be a great place again, and ISP's would not
    > have to outsource their service to larger companies that specialize in
    > Usenet service.

    I agree with that, there shouldn't be a need to pass binaries in news
    groups. At one time if the news group needed extra content you would just
    run a web site for the extra parts.

    Forums and other private groups are probably much beeter for that. In the
    forums I use we do pass script and source code around, it has a size limit
    of about 2M but rarely comes close to that as much of it is samples of
    single functions/classes. Sometimes a jokey video has been passed, but now
    this sort of thing tends to be embedded with a link to the source.

    I do like to have some markup language in the forums, for hilights and
    such, I don't think there is as much need for pure text news groups as
    there once was. The problem there is if you allow a bit of markup, people
    will always ask for more, until you get close to a full html.

    odf may be better, because readers can simply filter out those bits the
    user opts out of, or will miss out any section it doesn't understand. So
    it should satisfy those that want to use a simple reader/editor as well as
    those who want it pretty, without the loss of text.

  4. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:21:17 +0100, BearItAll wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 07:03:19 -0400, Leythos wrote:
    >
    >> In article , jim@home.net
    >> says...
    >>> (from http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9798715-38.html )
    >>>
    >>> October 16, 2007 5:56 PM PDT
    >>> RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously. Posted by Declan
    >>> McCullagh
    >>> The Recording Industry Association of America has found a new legal
    >>> target for a copyright lawsuit: Usenet.
    >>>
    >>> In a lawsuit filed on October 12, the RIAA says that Usenet newsgroups
    >>> contain "millions of copyrighted sound recordings" in violation of
    >>> federal law.
    >>>
    >>> Only Usenet.com is named as a defendant for now, but the same logic
    >>> would let the RIAA sue hundreds of universities, Internet service
    >>> providers, and other newsgroup archives. AT&T offers Usenet, as does
    >>> Verizon, Stanford University and other companies including Giganews.
    >>>
    >>> That's what makes this lawsuit important. If the RIAA can win against
    >>> Usenet.com, other Usenet providers are at legal risk, too.
    >>>
    >>> For those of you who are relative newcomers to the Internet, Usenet
    >>> was a wildly popular way to distribute conversations and binary files
    >>> long before the Web or peer-to-peer networks existed. It's divided up
    >>> into tens of thousands of "newsgroups"--discussion areas arranged
    >>> hierarchically and sporting names like sci.med.aids, rec.motorcycles,
    >>> and comp.os.linux.admin. A handful are moderated; most are not. For
    >>> efficiency's sake, recent posts to newsgroups are stored on the Usenet
    >>> provider's server (as opposed to saved on a subscriber's computer as
    >>> mailing lists are).

    >> I think it will be a great day, like the early days of Usenet, when
    >> they stop allowing mime encoded attachments to messages. If usenet went
    >> back to non-binaries it would be a great place again, and ISP's would
    >> not have to outsource their service to larger companies that specialize
    >> in Usenet service.

    > I agree with that, there shouldn't be a need to pass binaries in news
    > groups. At one time if the news group needed extra content you would
    > just run a web site for the extra parts.

    Why shouldn't there be a need?

    Just because you don't have the need, why can't someone else have it?

    If you don't want binaries or don't need binaries then don't go to binary
    groups. It's really simple.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  5. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    BearItAll wrote:

    > I agree with that, there shouldn't be a need to pass binaries in news
    > groups. At one time if the news group needed extra content you would
    > just run a web site for the extra parts.

    We run into this conflict all the time, as in "No one NEEDS an assault
    rifle!"

    "Need" is not the operative word; "Want" is.

  6. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    In article ,
    nospam.noway@screwspammers.com says...
    > > I agree with that, there shouldn't be a need to pass binaries in news
    > > groups. At one time if the news group needed extra content you would
    > > just run a web site for the extra parts.

    > Why shouldn't there be a need?
    >
    > Just because you don't have the need, why can't someone else have it?
    >
    > If you don't want binaries or don't need binaries then don't go to binary
    > groups. It's really simple.

    My guess is that you didn't know about Usenet until after your first MS
    PC, and MS was late getting into the Usenet world.

    Usenet was setup to allow groups to share information on related topics.
    In the early days you could not pass files (mime attachments), but when
    it was updated to also work over SMTP it had to follow the email
    standards which included attachments.

    Since the time that people started posting attachments to replies/posts,
    Usenet has suffered for it, causing some service providers to drop
    Usenet access some to block it, others invest massive resources into
    maintaining it, others have little retention, etc....

    The only reason to share files via usenet is anonymity - meaning that
    you can post as an unknown and share that file with the unknown masses.
    This makes it a perfect means to pirate or distribute media that you
    would not want to be associated with normally.

    It's not as simple as avoiding the binary groups - idiots post files to
    non-binary groups all the time, and if we did away with the entire
    binary designation, in order to fight piracy, they would still post to
    Usenet in some other group.

    Almost 1TB per day is associated with binaries on busy servers.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  7. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:51:21 -0400, Leythos wrote:

    >Since the time that people started posting attachments to replies/posts,
    >Usenet has suffered for it, causing some service providers to drop
    >Usenet access some to block it, others invest massive resources into
    >maintaining it, others have little retention, etc....
    >
    >The only reason to share files via usenet is anonymity - meaning that
    >you can post as an unknown and share that file with the unknown masses.
    >This makes it a perfect means to pirate or distribute media that you
    >would not want to be associated with normally.
    >
    >It's not as simple as avoiding the binary groups - idiots post files to
    >non-binary groups all the time, and if we did away with the entire
    >binary designation, in order to fight piracy, they would still post to
    >Usenet in some other group.
    >
    >Almost 1TB per day is associated with binaries on busy servers.

    When will you babbling idiots ever STFU? I mean to begin with you
    NEVER know WHAT you're babbling about. You seem to have a distorted
    view of newsgroups. Ask any ISP or third party provider that offers
    access to premium news servers for a fee and they'll all tell you the
    same thing. BINARIES by far makes up the vast majority of traffic,
    some claim over 90% of what travels over Usenet, most of it porn
    distributed in thousands of different newsgroups. So-called warez
    group where pirated copies of software or simply copies of legit
    software are posted complete with cracks, passwords and other keys
    makes up a tiny fraction of traffic as does music posted to a handful
    of newsgroups set up for that purpose.

    As far as idiots, you seem to be a member in good standing of that
    club. Usenet was formed with one purpose in mind. NO RULES. I know. I
    was there from the beginning. Yet there are always bozos like you that
    always attempt to impose and enforce rules you think would fit your
    distorted view of what others may enjoy. For example posting binary
    attachments to so-called non-binary groups. Since newsgroups by nature
    have no rules and even if they did nobody could enforce them such
    thinking is half-ass backwards. Over the 100,000+ newsgroups in
    existence, a small handful, meaning in the dozens, are moderated. Only
    those have "rules" that mean anything. Everywhere else, just some bozo
    trying to enforce HIS idea of what should or shouldn't be posted.

  8. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:39:57 -0400, Leythos wrote:

    >> As far as idiots, you seem to be a member in good standing of that
    >> club. Usenet was formed with one purpose in mind. NO RULES.

    >Bull crap - only an idiot would believe that.
    >
    >> I know. I
    >> was there from the beginning.

    >I was posting to Usenet in 84, I don't believe you were using it then,
    >you certainly don't have the technical skills to have used a computer
    >that long.

    Seeing some the slop you've posted what you believe and reality rarely
    meet. You fanboy wannabe types are quite funny to read when you get
    your underwear all bunched up like yours obviously are right now. If
    you first started posting in 1984, you came to the party very late. It
    began quite innocently in late 1979.

  9. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    Leythos wrote in

    > Almost 1TB per day is associated with binaries on busy servers.

    Actually Leythos....the latest estimates are upwards of 3 TB/day.

  10. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    In article , AA@ABC.net
    says...
    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:39:57 -0400, Leythos wrote:
    >

    > >> As far as idiots, you seem to be a member in good standing of that
    > >> club. Usenet was formed with one purpose in mind. NO RULES.

    > >Bull crap - only an idiot would believe that.
    > >
    > >> I know. I
    > >> was there from the beginning.

    > >I was posting to Usenet in 84, I don't believe you were using it then,
    > >you certainly don't have the technical skills to have used a computer
    > >that long.

    > Seeing some the slop you've posted what you believe and reality rarely
    > meet. You fanboy wannabe types are quite funny to read when you get
    > your underwear all bunched up like yours obviously are right now. If
    > you first started posting in 1984, you came to the party very late. It
    > began quite innocently in late 1979.

    And you were not there then and not there until, well, you're not all
    here now either.

    So, you've proven my point again sonny.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  11. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:14:43 -0400, Leythos wrote:

    >In article , AA@ABC.net
    >says...

    >> >Bull crap - only an idiot would believe that.

    >> >I was posting to Usenet in 84, I don't believe you were using it then,
    >> >you certainly don't have the technical skills to have used a computer
    >> >that long.

    >> Seeing some the slop you've posted what you believe and reality rarely
    >> meet. You fanboy wannabe types are quite funny to read when you get
    >> your underwear all bunched up like yours obviously are right now. If
    >> you first started posting in 1984, you came to the party very late. It
    >> began quite innocently in late 1979.

    >And you were not there then and not there until, well, you're not all
    >here now either.

    >So, you've proven my point again sonny.

    How would you know? You're just another self-important idiot like
    Frank. Thanks for proving whatever you say comes out of thin air or
    your ass. Tell us Which.

  12. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    Adam Albright wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:14:43 -0400, Leythos wrote:
    >

    >>In article , AA@ABC.net
    >>says...

    >>>Seeing some the slop you've posted what you believe and reality rarely
    >>>meet. You fanboy wannabe types are quite funny to read when you get
    >>>your underwear all bunched up like yours obviously are right now. If
    >>>you first started posting in 1984, you came to the party very late. It
    >>>began quite innocently in late 1979.

    >>And you were not there then and not there until, well, you're not all
    >>here now either.

    >>So, you've proven my point again sonny.

    > How would you know? You're just another self-important idiot like
    > Frank. Thanks for proving whatever you say comes out of thin air or
    > your ass. Tell us Which.

    Frank has taken over whats left of your demented brain. Frank was won
    all battles with you yet you keep flapping your fat jowls like a chicken
    with it's head cut off.
    You are the ng's best, biggest and most famous loud mouth h as*hole idiot.
    A title you so warmly deserve.
    Congratulations!
    Frank

  13. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    On Oct 17, 3:50 am, "jim" wrote:
    > (fromhttp://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9798715-38.html)
    >
    > October 16, 2007 5:56 PM PDT
    > RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    So what's the over-under (in years or months) that the RIAA will
    officially declare Linux to be a tool for piracy.

  14. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    Darth Chaos wrote:
    > On Oct 17, 3:50 am, "jim" wrote:
    >> (fromhttp://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9798715-38.html)
    >>
    >> October 16, 2007 5:56 PM PDT
    >> RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    > So what's the over-under (in years or months) that the RIAA will
    > officially declare Linux to be a tool for piracy.

    Rather depends on when Steve Ballmer thinks of it (Looks at watch)

  15. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:54:23 -0700, Frank wrote:

    >Adam Albright wrote:
    >> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:14:43 -0400, Leythos wrote:
    >>

    >>>In article , AA@ABC.net
    >>>says...

    >>>And you were not there then and not there until, well, you're not all
    >>>here now either.

    >>>So, you've proven my point again sonny.

    >> How would you know? You're just another self-important idiot like
    >> Frank. Thanks for proving whatever you say comes out of thin air or
    >> your ass. Tell us Which.
    >>

    >Frank has taken over whats left of your demented brain. Frank was won
    >all battles with you yet you keep flapping your fat jowls like a chicken
    >with it's head cut off.
    >You are the ng's best, biggest and most famous loud mouth h as*hole idiot.
    >A title you so warmly deserve.
    >Congratulations!
    >Frank

    I sure can make you babble. "Frank was won all battles with you..."

  16. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    Adam Albright wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:54:23 -0700, Frank wrote:
    >

    >>Adam Albright wrote:

    >>>How would you know? You're just another self-important idiot like
    >>>Frank. Thanks for proving whatever you say comes out of thin air or
    >>>your ass. Tell us Which.
    >>>

    >>Frank has taken over whats left of your demented brain. Frank was won
    >>all battles with you yet you keep flapping your fat jowls like a chicken
    >>with it's head cut off.
    >>You are the ng's best, biggest and most famous loud mouth h as*hole idiot.
    >>A title you so warmly deserve.
    >>Congratulations!
    >>Frank

    > I sure can make you babble. "Frank was won all battles with you..."

    You're such a good little Pavlov dog aren't you..yap, yap!
    Frank

  17. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    ____/ Darth Chaos on Thursday 18 October 2007 03:22 : \____

    > On Oct 17, 3:50 am, "jim" wrote:
    >> (fromhttp://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9798715-38.html)
    >>
    >> October 16, 2007 5:56 PM PDT
    >> RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    > So what's the over-under (in years or months) that the RIAA will
    > officially declare Linux to be a tool for piracy.

    No, leave that to eBay.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open syntax, Open API's, Open Source
    Tasks: 124 total, 1 running, 121 sleeping, 0 stopped, 2 zombie

  18. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:14:27 -0500, Adam Albright wrote:

    > As far as idiots, you seem to be a member in good standing of that
    > club. Usenet was formed with one purpose in mind. NO RULES.

    That is completely wrong.

    Usenet was formed on the back of bulletin boards. It was innitially just
    an easier way to find groups or boards, before then you had to wait until
    someone invited you, the groups were to talk about things you are
    interested in.

    Obviously there were many UNIX bulletin boards, because bulletin
    boards started on UNIX. But you also got many other groups as things
    picked up speed.

    The only reason rules started to come into play was because of the
    spoilers, those who would set up a script to pour gunge into the boards.
    Then later spam and adverts.

    The news groups are full of spoiled groups, some ran their course and died
    naturally, others were attempting to be free of control and were simply
    destroyed with spam.

    > I know. I
    > was there from the beginning. Yet there are always bozos like you that
    > always attempt to impose and enforce rules you think would fit your
    > distorted view of what others may enjoy.

    There are two sorts of rules, those that try to limit what the posters can
    say, I am fully against those. I don't like the little hitlers banning
    people from groups or filtering posts, because it always ends up with them
    filtering out any post that disagrees with their own stance, what ever the
    subject.

    The other rules are those that try to protect the users so that they can
    say what they want to say. These have limited success.

    As fot the binaries though, you have to remember that not everyone is on
    broadband and not everyone likes to boot into a gui. A huge block of mime
    can tie up a farmers PC for ages. For those on text only readers it is
    just a huge block of crap.

    Binaries are much better out of the news group, just a link to another
    place.

    I would be interested to know why you were so insulting to lythos. I
    thought his comments were reasonable.

    And yes, I too was there at the start, so don't try to use the 'I was on
    the first BB' argument with me because those days are long gone and it
    just don't wash as a modern argument, the people are different, not
    better and not worse, just different. We were all 100% techies/geeks in
    those days and many of the groups were pretty much the same thing, mates
    talking pewters, arranging the next beer fest, oops I mean UNIX show and
    sharing bits and bobs.

    If the modern news groups were pure geek as they were then, no one would
    join them, including myself. Such things have a limited life.

  19. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:13:33 -0500, Adam Albright wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:39:57 -0400, Leythos wrote:
    >

    >>> As far as idiots, you seem to be a member in good standing of that
    >>> club. Usenet was formed with one purpose in mind. NO RULES.

    >>Bull crap - only an idiot would believe that.
    >>
    >>> I know. I
    >>> was there from the beginning.

    >>I was posting to Usenet in 84, I don't believe you were using it then,
    >>you certainly don't have the technical skills to have used a computer
    >>that long.

    > Seeing some the slop you've posted what you believe and reality rarely
    > meet. You fanboy wannabe types are quite funny to read when you get
    > your underwear all bunched up like yours obviously are right now. If
    > you first started posting in 1984, you came to the party very late. It
    > began quite innocently in late 1979.

    Right, and as I knew most of the UNIX men because we all used the
    same few server spaces to chat etc then likely we have talked
    before. That is, it you are UK/Europe/Japan/Aussy), I don't know why but I
    really can never remember any americans on the boards. No doubt they had
    they own over there.

    But why are you taking such a bad attitude over this subject? Lythos
    hasn't said anything negative, only you have. Is it an age thing?

  20. Re: FYI: RIAA tries to pull plug on Usenet. Seriously.

    On 2007-10-17, Leythos wrote:
    > In article ,
    > nospam.noway@screwspammers.com says...
    >> > I agree with that, there shouldn't be a need to pass binaries in news
    >> > groups. At one time if the news group needed extra content you would
    >> > just run a web site for the extra parts.

    >> Why shouldn't there be a need?
    >>
    >> Just because you don't have the need, why can't someone else have it?
    >>
    >> If you don't want binaries or don't need binaries then don't go to binary
    >> groups. It's really simple.

    > My guess is that you didn't know about Usenet until after your first MS
    > PC, and MS was late getting into the Usenet world.
    >
    > Usenet was setup to allow groups to share information on related topics.
    > In the early days you could not pass files (mime attachments), but when
    > it was updated to also work over SMTP it had to follow the email
    > standards which included attachments.

    MIME? Are you kidding?

    Did you just fall off the turnip truck yesterday?

    [deletia]

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread