SuSE shutdown problem - Linux

This is a discussion on SuSE shutdown problem - Linux ; A couple of weeks ago I upgraded SuSE 9.0 -> 9.2 Since then I have been unable to shut down 'in a well organized manner'. During the shutdown sequence the following lines are written: "The system will be halted immediately ...

  1. SuSE shutdown problem

    A couple of weeks ago I upgraded SuSE 9.0 -> 9.2

    Since then I have been unable to shut down 'in a well organized manner'.

    During the shutdown sequence the following lines are written:
    "The system will be halted immediately
    Master Resource Control: runlevel 0 has been reached" - followed by:
    "stty: standard input: unable to perform all required operations".

    From there I'm unable to turn the computer off - I must force it to start
    reboot ('reset' or ctrl-alt-del) , and then turn it off!

    I have tried to modify apm- and acpi-settings in lilo.conf, but things
    haven't changed - what can I do??
    --
    Regards,
    Hans

  2. Re: SuSE shutdown problem

    Hans Henrik Hansen wrote:

    > A couple of weeks ago I upgraded SuSE 9.0 -> 9.2
    >
    > Since then I have been unable to shut down 'in a well organized manner'.
    >
    > During the shutdown sequence the following lines are written:
    > "The system will be halted immediately
    > Master Resource Control: runlevel 0 has been reached" - followed by:
    > "stty: standard input: unable to perform all required operations".
    >
    > From there I'm unable to turn the computer off - I must force it to start
    > reboot ('reset' or ctrl-alt-del) , and then turn it off!
    >
    > I have tried to modify apm- and acpi-settings in lilo.conf, but things
    > haven't changed - what can I do??

    I just hold the off button untill it turns off. 5 to 8 seconds.

    Dennis

  3. Re: SuSE shutdown problem

    Dennis wrote:
    > I just hold the off button untill it turns off. 5 to 8 seconds.

    Thanks, I'll give it a try - but isn't there some more 'elegant' solution?
    --
    med venlig hilsen
    Hans

  4. Re: SuSE shutdown problem

    Op Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:56:41 +0100, schreef Hans Henrik Hansen:

    > Thanks, I'll give it a try - but isn't there some more 'elegant' solution?
    >
    > --

    In you kernel config, select "Use real APM calls to power off" (Under
    power management)

    If you don't want to recompile your kernel, try a bios update

+ Reply to Thread