Anyone upgrade qt3 manually? - Linux

This is a discussion on Anyone upgrade qt3 manually? - Linux ; I recently built qt3.3.4 on a Suse 8.1 machine, after removing the old qt3.2 and devel packages. I get a clean compile and I can conditionally link against the libraries but now, ANY application that uses the qt3 libraries will ...

  1. Anyone upgrade qt3 manually?

    I recently built qt3.3.4 on a Suse 8.1 machine, after removing the old
    qt3.2 and devel packages. I get a clean compile and I can conditionally
    link against the libraries but now, ANY application that uses the qt3
    libraries will NOT display any fonts (just blank character boxes). If I
    login as root I see the fonts but when running non-privileged I have
    no characters at all.

    The libraries are all world readable, as far as I can tell.

    This fudges pretty much anything in KDE too since most KDE stuff
    links to qt3 libraries.

  2. Re: Anyone upgrade qt3 manually?

    noone@uber.usachoice.net (Wiseguy) scribbled on the stall wall:

    I should add that the problem seems to be in fontconfig. the
    root .fonts.cache-1 file is built properly but the system will not
    rebuild a local font cache for non-root users. fc-list shows
    nothing unless logged in as root. To get around the problem I copied
    the /root/.font.cache-1 file to my user account and can now see text
    in qt windows but this isn't a solution. any clues why fontconfig
    is broken?