turn off colors in VI - Linux

This is a discussion on turn off colors in VI - Linux ; I am running Fedora Core 3. When I edit script files, it colors everything. The colors are distracting. I have tried man vi and man bash. In ls, one can select --color=never , but a search of the man pages ...

  1. turn off colors in VI

    I am running Fedora Core 3.
    When I edit script files, it colors everything.
    The colors are distracting.
    I have tried man vi and man bash.
    In ls, one can select --color=never ,
    but a search of the man pages for VI and BASH
    does not find color.
    Tnx,
    Charles

  2. Re: turn off colors in VI

    * Charles wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > I am running Fedora Core 3.
    > When I edit script files, it colors everything.
    > The colors are distracting.
    > I have tried man vi and man bash.
    > In ls, one can select --color=never ,
    > but a search of the man pages for VI and BASH
    > does not find color.
    > Tnx,
    > Charles

    From WITHIN vim:

    :help

    Scroll down until you find the topic on syntax hilighting and press
    CTL-]

    --
    David
    It may be bad manners to talk with your mouth full, but it isn't too

  3. Re: turn off colors in VI

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Charles wrote in comp.os.linux:
    >
    >>I am running Fedora Core 3.
    >>When I edit script files, it colors everything.
    >>The colors are distracting.
    >>I have tried man vi and man bash.
    >>In ls, one can select --color=never ,
    >>but a search of the man pages for VI and BASH
    >>does not find color.
    >>Tnx,
    >>Charles

    > From WITHIN vim:
    >
    > :help
    >
    > Scroll down until you find the topic on syntax hilighting and press
    > CTL-]

    Modify / create a .vimrc in your home which will override the global one
    in etc.
    The line you need is
    syntax on

    you want
    syntax off

    Rage

    --
    ***********************************
    * *

  4. Re: turn off colors in VI

    Rage wrote:

    > Modify / create a .vimrc in your home which will override the global one
    > in etc.
    > The line you need is
    > syntax on
    >
    > you want