[News] Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic - Linux ; Summary: Open Season interview with Mark Shuttleworth ,----[ Quote ] | Interestingly, one of the interviewers asked who Ubuntu's biggest competitors | are. Shuttleworth defied expectations by stating that Ubuntu really isn't | competing against other major Linux distros -- ...

  1. [News] Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Interestingly, one of the interviewers asked who Ubuntu's biggest competitors
    | are. Shuttleworth defied expectations by stating that Ubuntu really isn't
    | competing against other major Linux distros -- really it's a competition
    | between the proprietary and open source ideologies.
    `----

    http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/368

    Don't look to Linus Torvalds for leadership

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linus Torvalds seems to be trying very hard to make the latest Linux kernel
    | update as boring as possible.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Last week, for example, Steve Ballmer confirmed many users' fears by saying
    | the company wants compensation from anyone who isn't using Novell's Suse or a
    | distribution provided by one of its other partners. That's a lot more direct
    | than couching its alliance with Novell as an exercise in interoperability. It
    | means that if you don't use Linux in a way that Microsoft approves, you face
    | potential litigation. Someone needs to provide a response to that. Who better
    | than the operating system's creator?
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...-torvalds.html

    Why can't he be vocal like Shuttleworth?

  2. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Interestingly, one of the interviewers asked who Ubuntu's biggest
    > | competitors are. Shuttleworth defied expectations by stating that Ubuntu
    > | really isn't competing against other major Linux distros -- really it's
    > | a competition between the proprietary and open source ideologies.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/368
    >
    > Don't look to Linus Torvalds for leadership
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Linus Torvalds seems to be trying very hard to make the latest Linux
    > | kernel update as boring as possible.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Last week, for example, Steve Ballmer confirmed many users' fears by
    > | saying the company wants compensation from anyone who isn't using
    > | Novell's Suse or a distribution provided by one of its other partners.
    > | That's a lot more direct than couching its alliance with Novell as an
    > | exercise in interoperability. It means that if you don't use Linux in a
    > | way that Microsoft approves, you face potential litigation. Someone
    > | needs to provide a response to that. Who better than the operating
    > | system's creator?
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxworld.com

    news/2007/101107-dont-look-to-linus-torvalds.html

    > Why can't he be vocal like Shuttleworth?

    Linus stated often enough that he doesn't care.
    Whereas the freedom movement does.
    There is nothing inherently wrong - its just a case of listening
    and asking the right persons to do the right things.
    If you care about free software, you go to Stallman.

  3. Re: Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic

    On Oct 16, 11:03 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Interestingly, one of the interviewers asked who Ubuntu's biggest competitors
    > | are. Shuttleworth defied expectations by stating that Ubuntu really isn't
    > | competing against other major Linux distros -- really it's a competition
    > | between the proprietary and open source ideologies.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/368

    "This turned into predictions on how long it will be before Linux
    desktop software is ready for a broader user base."

    "Next, the participants engaged in a long discussion of the weak
    points of the OpenOffice.org office suite. Mark describes the current
    state of OO.org as being "a bit of a tragedy." He believes that the
    problem with it is the bungling interaction between the "corporate
    folks" and the community, also remarking that potential contributors
    are deterred from participating due to extremely long build times for
    OO.org -- 8 to 9 hours. He says if he doesn't see signs of a
    turnaround in the next few months he'll start looking elsewhere for
    Ubuntu's included office suite."

  4. Re: Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic

    After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Oct 16, 11:03 am, Roy Schestowitz
    >>
    >> http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/368

    > "This turned into predictions on how long it will be before Linux
    > desktop software is ready for a broader user base."
    >
    > "Next, the participants engaged in a long discussion of the weak
    > points of the OpenOffice.org office suite. Mark describes the current
    > state of OO.org as being "a bit of a tragedy." He believes that the
    > problem with it is the bungling interaction between the "corporate
    > folks" and the community, also remarking that potential contributors
    > are deterred from participating due to extremely long build times for
    > OO.org -- 8 to 9 hours. He says if he doesn't see signs of a
    > turnaround in the next few months he'll start looking elsewhere for
    > Ubuntu's included office suite."

    "He believes that ultimately the success of OpenOffice.org in
    specific, and community-developed software in general, requires that
    it switch to a Firefox-style model in which the core software is
    small, streamlined, and handled by a small team, and additional
    functionality can be easily added by the wider community through
    extensions, without the need to compile a massive amount of code or
    have commit access."

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic

    ____/ 7 on Tuesday 16 October 2007 23:19 : \____

    >> Why can't he be vocal like Shuttleworth?

    > Linus stated often enough that he doesn't care.
    > Whereas the freedom movement does.
    > There is nothing inherently wrong - its just a case of listening
    > and asking the right persons to do the right things.
    > If you care about free software, you go to Stallman.

    To be fair, he /did/ slam the patent FUD, but all the mess higher up in the
    stack he is totally uninvolved with.

    Probably APIs in his head, not Linux news...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #FFFFFFF4 ADD &R1, "9999999", &BankAccount
    run-level 2 2007-10-16 15:14 last=

  6. Re: Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic

    On Oct 16, 7:40 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >

    > > On Oct 16, 11:03 am, Roy Schestowitz

    > >>http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/368

    > > "This turned into predictions on how long it will be before Linux
    > > desktop software is ready for a broader user base."

    > > "Next, the participants engaged in a long discussion of the weak
    > > points of the OpenOffice.org office suite. Mark describes the current
    > > state of OO.org as being "a bit of a tragedy." He believes that the
    > > problem with it is the bungling interaction between the "corporate
    > > folks" and the community, also remarking that potential contributors
    > > are deterred from participating due to extremely long build times for
    > > OO.org -- 8 to 9 hours. He says if he doesn't see signs of a
    > > turnaround in the next few months he'll start looking elsewhere for
    > > Ubuntu's included office suite."

    > "He believes that ultimately the success of OpenOffice.org in
    > specific, and community-developed software in general, requires that
    > it switch to a Firefox-style model in which the core software is
    > small, streamlined, and handled by a small team, and additional
    > functionality can be easily added by the wider community through
    > extensions, without the need to compile a massive amount of code or
    > have commit access."

    So Linux doesn't have a broad user base, and OO is a bit of a tragedy
    at the moment, but plans are in place for its improvement. Now you
    tell me, was the most important point of that article that
    Shuttleworth wants open source to win? There were plenty of better
    points to advocate on.

  7. Re: Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic

    After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Oct 16, 7:40 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >> > "This turned into predictions on how long it will be before Linux
    >> > desktop software is ready for a broader user base."

    >> > "Next, the participants engaged in a long discussion of the weak
    >> > points of the OpenOffice.org office suite. Mark describes the current
    >> > state of OO.org as being "a bit of a tragedy." He believes that the
    >> > problem with it is the bungling interaction between the "corporate
    >> > folks" and the community, also remarking that potential contributors
    >> > are deterred from participating due to extremely long build times for
    >> > OO.org -- 8 to 9 hours. He says if he doesn't see signs of a
    >> > turnaround in the next few months he'll start looking elsewhere for
    >> > Ubuntu's included office suite."

    >> "He believes that ultimately the success of OpenOffice.org in
    >> specific, and community-developed software in general, requires that
    >> it switch to a Firefox-style model in which the core software is
    >> small, streamlined, and handled by a small team, and additional
    >> functionality can be easily added by the wider community through
    >> extensions, without the need to compile a massive amount of code or
    >> have commit access."

    > So Linux doesn't have a broad user base, and OO is a bit of a tragedy
    > at the moment, but plans are in place for its improvement. Now you
    > tell me, was the most important point of that article that
    > Shuttleworth wants open source to win? There were plenty of better
    > points to advocate on.

    ????

    --
    Tux rox!

  8. Re: Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic

    On Oct 17, 7:06 am, Linonut wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >

    > > On Oct 16, 7:40 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > >> After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > >> "He believes that ultimately the success of OpenOffice.org in
    > >> specific, and community-developed software in general, requires that
    > >> it switch to a Firefox-style model in which the core software is
    > >> small, streamlined, and handled by a small team, and additional
    > >> functionality can be easily added by the wider community through
    > >> extensions, without the need to compile a massive amount of code or
    > >> have commit access."

    > > So Linux doesn't have a broad user base, and OO is a bit of a tragedy
    > > at the moment, but plans are in place for its improvement. Now you
    > > tell me, was the most important point of that article that
    > > Shuttleworth wants open source to win? There were plenty of better
    > > points to advocate on.

    > ????

    I don't understand what you're confused about. Mr. Schestowitz took a
    perfectly good Linux article, with honest opinions from Shuttleworth
    and a link to the entire interview, found one tiny paragraph that
    doesn't begin to describe what the article was about, and then linked
    to it. What was the point?

  9. Re: Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic

    After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Oct 17, 7:06 am, Linonut wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >> > So Linux doesn't have a broad user base, and OO is a bit of a tragedy
    >> > at the moment, but plans are in place for its improvement. Now you
    >> > tell me, was the most important point of that article that
    >> > Shuttleworth wants open source to win? There were plenty of better
    >> > points to advocate on.

    >> ????

    > I don't understand what you're confused about. Mr. Schestowitz took a
    > perfectly good Linux article, with honest opinions from Shuttleworth
    > and a link to the entire interview, found one tiny paragraph that
    > doesn't begin to describe what the article was about, and then linked
    > to it. What was the point?

    That's what I'm asking.

    --
    Tux rox!

  10. Re: Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic

    On Oct 18, 7:16 am, Linonut wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >

    > > On Oct 17, 7:06 am, Linonut wrote:
    > >> After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > >> ????

    > > I don't understand what you're confused about. Mr. Schestowitz took a
    > > perfectly good Linux article, with honest opinions from Shuttleworth
    > > and a link to the entire interview, found one tiny paragraph that
    > > doesn't begin to describe what the article was about, and then linked
    > > to it. What was the point?

    > That's what I'm asking.

    Well ask Roy then.

  11. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ 7 on Tuesday 16 October 2007 23:19 : \____
    >
    >>> Why can't he be vocal like Shuttleworth?

    >> Linus stated often enough that he doesn't care.
    >> Whereas the freedom movement does.
    >> There is nothing inherently wrong - its just a case of listening
    >> and asking the right persons to do the right things.
    >> If you care about free software, you go to Stallman.

    > To be fair, he /did/ slam the patent FUD, but all the mess higher up in the
    > stack he is totally uninvolved with.
    >
    > Probably APIs in his head, not Linux news...

    We can't all do everything.

  12. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Wants Open Source to Win, Linus Claimed to be Somewhat Apathetic

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 19 October 2007 15:22 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ 7 on Tuesday 16 October 2007 23:19 : \____

    >>> Linus stated often enough that he doesn't care.
    >>> Whereas the freedom movement does.
    >>> There is nothing inherently wrong - its just a case of listening
    >>> and asking the right persons to do the right things.
    >>> If you care about free software, you go to Stallman.

    >> To be fair, he /did/ slam the patent FUD, but all the mess higher up in the
    >> stack he is totally uninvolved with.
    >>
    >> Probably APIs in his head, not Linux news...
    >>

    > We can't all do everything.

    Yes, he's doing the right thing. I said this before. Let him do what he does
    best. As he said once (not exact quote, because I can't recall), "think of me
    (Linus) as the engineer and of Stallman as the great philosopher."

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GNU is Not Universal (begin recursion)
    run-level 2 2007-10-16 15:14 last=