Cleaning Temporary Dirs and Files in Linux - Ubuntu/Debian specifically - Linux

This is a discussion on Cleaning Temporary Dirs and Files in Linux - Ubuntu/Debian specifically - Linux ; I am new to Linux and have a couple of simple questions - I have just installed Kubuntu (Ubuntu variant with KDE) and I would like to image my machine for Disaster Recovery. Before I do so, I would like ...

  1. Cleaning Temporary Dirs and Files in Linux - Ubuntu/Debian specifically

    I am new to Linux and have a couple of simple questions - I have just
    installed Kubuntu (Ubuntu variant with KDE) and I would like to image my
    machine for Disaster Recovery. Before I do so, I would like to clean out
    the TEMPORARY directories and files. In Windows, I clean out the Windows
    Temp Directories and User Profiles Temp Directories - what is this
    equivalent to in Linux (more Ubuntu hopefully).

    So far I have deleted /var/cache/* - is there any other locations I can
    delete to reduce and clean out the system?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Cleaning Temporary Dirs and Files in Linux - Ubuntu/Debian specifically

    OKAY! Thats was not good to delete my /var/cache contents - broke my APT -
    oh well (still learning Linux), good thing I imaged it before doing that.
    But I am still wanting a "pristine" image without the temp stuff - please
    let me know - thank you.

    "KT" wrote in message
    news:zf3%d.16144$WK2.4589@newssvr30.news.prodigy.c om...
    >I am new to Linux and have a couple of simple questions - I have just
    > installed Kubuntu (Ubuntu variant with KDE) and I would like to image my
    > machine for Disaster Recovery. Before I do so, I would like to clean out
    > the TEMPORARY directories and files. In Windows, I clean out the Windows
    > Temp Directories and User Profiles Temp Directories - what is this
    > equivalent to in Linux (more Ubuntu hopefully).
    >
    > So far I have deleted /var/cache/* - is there any other locations I
    > can
    > delete to reduce and clean out the system?
    >

    > Thank you.

  3. Re: Cleaning Temporary Dirs and Files in Linux - Ubuntu/Debian specifically

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:14:23 +0000, KT or one of his clones wrote:

    > I would like to clean out the TEMPORARY directories and files. In
    > Windows, I clean out the Windows Temp Directories and User Profiles Temp
    > Directories - what is this equivalent to in Linux (more Ubuntu
    > hopefully).

    apt-get clean

    Furthmore install deborphan and localepurge

    apt-get install deborphan
    deborphan | xargs apt-get remove --purge -y apt-get install localepurge
    localepurge
    rm -fr /var/log

    --
    de Palo Andrea - thrillseeka
    Using Pan: A newsreader for GNOME

  4. Re: Cleaning Temporary Dirs and Files in Linux - Ubuntu/Debian specifically

    Thank you.

    "de Palo Andrea" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.03.20.00.55.17.872066@fastwebnet.it...
    > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:14:23 +0000, KT or one of his clones wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to clean out the TEMPORARY directories and files. In
    >> Windows, I clean out the Windows Temp Directories and User Profiles Temp
    >> Directories - what is this equivalent to in Linux (more Ubuntu
    >> hopefully).

    > apt-get clean
    >
    > Furthmore install deborphan and localepurge
    >
    > apt-get install deborphan
    > deborphan | xargs apt-get remove --purge -y apt-get install localepurge
    > localepurge
    > rm -fr /var/log
    >
    > --
    > de Palo Andrea - thrillseeka
    > Using Pan: A newsreader for GNOME

  5. Re: Cleaning Temporary Dirs and Files in Linux - Ubuntu/Debianspecifically

    Spake KT:
    > I would like to image my machine for Disaster Recovery.

    I believe the canonical program is mondo, althought I haven't tried it
    myself.

    http://www.mondorescue.org/

    > Before I do so, I would like to clean out the TEMPORARY directories
    > and files. In Windows, I clean out the Windows Temp Directories and
    > User Profiles Temp Directories - what is this equivalent to in Linux
    > (more Ubuntu hopefully).

    The /tmp directory serves both roles.

    DO NOT attempt to rm -rf /tmp manually -- programs like X11 (the GUI
    system) need files in /tmp to run correctly.

    Examine /etc/rcS.d/S35mountall.sh -- it should have "bootclean mountall"
    near the bottom -- meaning that temporary directories are emptied
    automatically whenever your reboot.

    > So far I have deleted /var/cache/*

    As you have found, this is not a good move. Gratuitous deletion will
    cause problems on Linux.

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    The best answer when anybody asks you if you're any good with explosives

  6. Re: Cleaning Temporary Dirs and Files in Linux - Ubuntu/Debian specifically

    "Trent Buck" wrote in message
    > Spake KT:
    >> I would like to image my machine for Disaster Recovery.

    > I believe the canonical program is mondo, althought I haven't tried it
    > myself.
    >
    > http://www.mondorescue.org/
    >
    >> Before I do so, I would like to clean out the TEMPORARY directories
    >> and files. In Windows, I clean out the Windows Temp Directories and
    >> User Profiles Temp Directories - what is this equivalent to in Linux
    >> (more Ubuntu hopefully).

    > The /tmp directory serves both roles.
    >
    > DO NOT attempt to rm -rf /tmp manually -- programs like X11 (the GUI
    > system) need files in /tmp to run correctly.
    >
    > Examine /etc/rcS.d/S35mountall.sh -- it should have "bootclean mountall"
    > near the bottom -- meaning that temporary directories are emptied
    > automatically whenever your reboot.
    >
    >> So far I have deleted /var/cache/*

    > As you have found, this is not a good move. Gratuitous deletion will
    > cause problems on Linux.
    >
    > --
    > Trent Buck, Student Errant
    > The best answer when anybody asks you if you're any good with explosives
    > is to hold up two open hands and simply say "Ten". -- adb

    Thanks Trent - you are right about deleting the /var/log - it hosed my
    system again - wheew thanks for Ghost! Anyhow, still learning this system
    (Debian based - Kubuntu).

  7. Re: Cleaning Temporary Dirs and Files in Linux - Ubuntu/Debian specifically

    Try
    apt-get clean

    to empty /var/cache.

    --