Looking for the best backup software in the world - Linux

This is a discussion on Looking for the best backup software in the world - Linux ; Hi I am looking for a backup tool implementing the best out of duplicity and rsnapshot. Duplicity is the closest to what I need, but there is the drawback that you always have to choose between full and incremental. Stacking ...

  1. Looking for the best backup software in the world

    Hi

    I am looking for a backup tool implementing the best out of duplicity
    and rsnapshot.

    Duplicity is the closest to what I need, but there is the drawback that
    you always have to choose between full and incremental.
    Stacking incremental backups is dangerous, but full backup stores
    another full set of data, without reusing any bit of information even if
    the files didn't change.

    rsnapshot is very efficient to this regard, since it uses filesystem
    hard links to link the same data as many times as necessary.
    Therefore, backups are always incremental, and it is never required to
    store the same file version twice. However, it works only with a
    filesystem supporting hard links.

    I am looking for a tool which would allow that, but without relying on
    the filesystem, to be able to backup to FTP, or any other destination
    where hard links are not an option.

    I am aware that the tool will then have to implement a catalog of all
    files versions, and a reference counter to be able to free them when
    possible. Basically, re-implementing the filesystem feature...

    Is there anything similar already, before I start yet another backup
    tool?

  2. Re: Looking for the best backup software in the world

    Olivier Croquette wrote:

    > I am looking for a tool which would allow that, but without relying
    > on the filesystem, to be able to backup to FTP, or any other
    > destination where hard links are not an option.
    >
    > I am aware that the tool will then have to implement a catalog of
    > all files versions, and a reference counter to be able to free them
    > when possible. Basically, re-implementing the filesystem feature...
    >
    > Is there anything similar already, before I start yet another backup
    > tool?

    You may want to take a look at (Beer) Stow by Poul-Henning Kamp.

    Greetings,

    Jacob
    --
    »USA fights for the right of the individual.«
    »Yes. Those of the individual George W. Bush.«

  3. Re: Looking for the best backup software in the world

    Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote, On 14/10/07 20:58:
    >> Is there anything similar already, before I start yet another backup
    >> tool?

    > You may want to take a look at (Beer) Stow by Poul-Henning Kamp.

    Hi Jacob

    Thanks for the info.
    I will have a look deeper, even if it looks like it stayed at the
    prototype phase.
    I don't think it will match however, since Stow seems to require a
    intelligent server, while I am looking for a solution where the server
    is only a dump storage place (like FTP).

    Some pointers for whoever might be interested:
    http://www.nabble.com/STOW:-backup-o...-t2317555.html
    http://phk.freebsd.dk/Stow/

  4. Re: Looking for the best backup software in the world

    On Oct 14, 6:00 pm, Olivier Croquette
    wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am looking for a backup tool implementing the best out of duplicity
    > and rsnapshot.
    >
    > Duplicity is the closest to what I need, but there is the drawback that
    > you always have to choose between full and incremental.
    > Stacking incremental backups is dangerous, but full backup stores
    > another full set of data, without reusing any bit of information even if
    > the files didn't change.
    >
    > rsnapshot is very efficient to this regard, since it uses filesystem
    > hard links to link the same data as many times as necessary.
    > Therefore, backups are always incremental, and it is never required to
    > store the same file version twice. However, it works only with a
    > filesystem supporting hard links.
    >
    > I am looking for a tool which would allow that, but without relying on
    > the filesystem, to be able to backup to FTP, or any other destination
    > where hard links are not an option.
    >
    > I am aware that the tool will then have to implement a catalog of all
    > files versions, and a reference counter to be able to free them when
    > possible. Basically, re-implementing the filesystem feature...
    >
    > Is there anything similar already, before I start yet another backup
    > tool?

    Have a look at rsync. I use it (wrapped in a shell script) to do a
    nightly backup of more than 1GB of documents and other stuff (counting
    on the fact that just a handful of files are changed during the day)
    on a remote computer using a simple internet connection. If you want
    I send you my script.

  5. Re: Looking for the best backup software in the world

    Dupie wrote, On 22/10/07 22:21:
    >> I am looking for a tool which would allow that, but without relying on
    >> the filesystem, to be able to backup to FTP, or any other destination
    >> where hard links are not an option.

    > Have a look at rsync. I use it (wrapped in a shell script) to do a
    > nightly backup of more than 1GB of documents and other stuff (counting
    > on the fact that just a handful of files are changed during the day)
    > on a remote computer using a simple internet connection. If you want
    > I send you my script.

    I am looking for something working with FTP as a storage, which is not
    the case of rsync.
    Thanks anyway!

+ Reply to Thread