reducing the output from "find" - Linux

This is a discussion on reducing the output from "find" - Linux ; When I was searching for a small pattern (using grep), I got back *MANY* pages of "Invalid argument". Is there a way to suppress printing of "Invalid argument" ??? Tnx, Charles...

  1. reducing the output from "find"

    When I was searching for a small pattern (using grep),
    I got back *MANY* pages of "Invalid argument".
    Is there a way to suppress printing of "Invalid argument" ???
    Tnx,
    Charles

  2. Re: reducing the output from "find"

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:25:56 -0600, Charles thoughtfully wrote:

    > When I was searching for a small pattern (using grep), I got back *MANY*
    > pages of "Invalid argument". Is there a way to suppress printing of
    > "Invalid argument" ??? Tnx,
    > Charles

    Wanna post the command so we can see?

    Mabye ?? $ find -name "*something*" | grep -v "bin" -v "etc"

  3. Re: reducing the output from "find"

    In article <423B0F24.4CA7215A@dunjas.com>, Charles wrote:

    >When I was searching for a small pattern (using grep),
    >I got back *MANY* pages of "Invalid argument".
    >Is there a way to suppress printing of "Invalid argument" ???

    What shell? See the man page, and look for "REDIRECTION". Your grep
    command probably wants to be 'grep pattern file[s] 2>/dev/null'

    Old guy

  4. Re: reducing the output from "find"

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:25:56 -0600, Charles wrote:

    > When I was searching for a small pattern (using grep),
    > I got back *MANY* pages of "Invalid argument".
    > Is there a way to suppress printing of "Invalid argument" ???

    You could pipe through a sed to hide the symptom but this will not fix the
    cause.

    echo Invalid argument | sed '/Invalid argument/d'

+ Reply to Thread