debian kernel upgrade - network? - Linux

This is a discussion on debian kernel upgrade - network? - Linux ; Hi all, I'm new to debian, please have merci I googled for an hour but I got lost. Can't post in the debian ng's for some reason I am compiling a server. everything goes pretty smoothless, I'm in love with ...

  1. debian kernel upgrade - network?

    Hi all,

    I'm new to debian, please have merci I googled for an hour but I got
    lost. Can't post in the debian ng's for some reason

    I am compiling a server. everything goes pretty smoothless, I'm in love
    with apt-get. However I wanted to configure iptables, and uname -a told
    me I was using kernel 2.2, which doesn't support iptables. So I changed
    the lilo.conf (add initrd=/initrd line) and did

    apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18- (..) 686

    this went ok. So I rebooted, and the next thing I know is that I do not
    have network access anymore. ifconfig only shows me the loopback device.

    so my questions:

    - why is a standard debian installation (I donwloaded the latest cds)
    installing kernel 2.2??

    - Is it likely that only network access got screwed up, or is my
    complete system in trouble now

    - what do I have to do to get my network access back? a sort of step by
    step walkthrough would be ideal, but any help is appreciated.

    thanks in advance!

  2. Re: debian kernel upgrade - network?

    Garma pise na comp.os.linux:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm new to debian, please have merci I googled for an hour but I got
    > lost. Can't post in the debian ng's for some reason
    >
    > I am compiling a server. everything goes pretty smoothless, I'm in love
    > with apt-get. However I wanted to configure iptables, and uname -a told
    > me I was using kernel 2.2, which doesn't support iptables. So I changed
    > the lilo.conf (add initrd=/initrd line) and did
    >
    > apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18- (..) 686
    >
    > this went ok. So I rebooted, and the next thing I know is that I do not
    > have network access anymore. ifconfig only shows me the loopback device.
    >
    > so my questions:
    >
    > - why is a standard debian installation (I donwloaded the latest cds)
    > installing kernel 2.2??
    >
    > - Is it likely that only network access got screwed up, or is my
    > complete system in trouble now
    >
    > - what do I have to do to get my network access back? a sort of step by
    > step walkthrough would be ideal, but any help is appreciated.

    try looking in /lib/modules/2.4.18-.../ for kernel module that would
    manage your NIC.

    modprobe the module (ie. i have rtl8139 card : $modprobe rtl8139 )
    if ifconfig -a show's your NIC you will probably want to automatize the
    process of loading the coresponding module by

    echo nameofthemodule >> /etc/modules

    --
    ____ __ ___| | ___ Ignorance is .~. hrvoje.spoljar@><.pbf.hr
    (_-< '_ \/ _ \ |_/ -_) bliss, but / V \ irc # RoCkY

+ Reply to Thread