Mother's ire puts Ballmer on defence over Vista - Linux

This is a discussion on Mother's ire puts Ballmer on defence over Vista - Linux ; Analyst installed Vista for her daughter - and two days later went right back to using the XP For a few minutes during Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's appearance at the Gartner conference in Orlando, emotionless management-speak gave way to a ...

  1. Mother's ire puts Ballmer on defence over Vista

    Analyst installed Vista for her daughter - and two days later went
    right back to using the XP

    For a few minutes during Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's appearance at
    the Gartner conference in Orlando, emotionless management-speak gave
    way to a mother's frustration with the Vista operating system.

    "I'm one of those early adopters of Vista," said Yvonne Genovese, an
    analyst who was interviewing Ballmer along with fellow analyst David
    Smith on stage at a conference forum. "My daughter comes in one day
    and says, 'Hey Mom, my friend has Vista, and it has these neat little
    things called gadgets - I need those.'"

    Said Ballmer: "I love your daughter."

    "You're not going to like her mom in about two minutes," said
    Genovese, while the crowd laughed.

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...257371000CCF44

    Another quote from Ballmer:
    "...we have had fewer vulnerabilities, fewer issues with Windows Vista
    in its first six months then any OS that preceded it."

    Translation: Other Windows versions were even worse than Vista. He's
    obviously not even counting Linux or OS/X as operating systems. The
    truth is that Vista seems to be worse than any MS OS preceding it
    except maybe ME.

  2. Re: Mother's ire puts Ballmer on defence over Vista

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 21:57:27 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

    [...]

    >> So a 13 year old girl says she "needs" desktop gadgets, and Ballmer
    >> thinks that justifies saying that Vista has "value". Well so does Mac OS
    >> X (in fact it had them first), and so does GNU/Linux. So what imaginary
    >> technical edge does Ballmer believe Vista has over a less restrictive OS
    >> like GNU/Linux. "Value" my ass.

    > OSX did not have gadgets first. Microsoft was showing that functionality
    > in 2003, and various other stuff was out about the same time as well from
    > other sources.
    >
    > You may not find them valuable, but others do.

    Here's a cool vista gadget:

    http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDeta...9d8e&bt=1&pl=1

    TOP - Vista Shutdown Control

    With this gadget you can shutdown, restart or lock your computer with
    only one click.

    [...]

    Changes in version 2:
    * You have to confirm shutdown and restart

    ?

  3. Re: Mother's ire puts Ballmer on defence over Vista

    On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:42:25 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >>[H]omer wrote:
    >>>
    >>> So a 13 year old girl says she "needs" desktop gadgets, and Ballmer
    >>> thinks that justifies saying that Vista has "value". Well so does Mac
    >>> OS X (in fact it had them first), and so does GNU/Linux. So what
    >>> imaginary technical edge does Ballmer believe Vista has over a less
    >>> restrictive OS like GNU/Linux. "Value" my ass.

    >> OSX did not have gadgets first. Microsoft was showing that
    >> functionality in 2003, and various other stuff was out about the same
    >> time as well from other sources.
    >>
    >> You may not find them valuable, but others do.

    > You fscking hypocrite.
    >
    > Do you recall what you recently wrote, Erik, in regards to a harmless
    > feature of the Nautilus file-viewer? "I'm sure it can be turned off, but
    > still... what a ****ing stupid idea."
    >
    > Perhaps you should endeavor to be more consistent in the application of
    > your "you may not find them valuable, but others do" philosophy,
    > hypocrite, not just in regards to Micro$oft products.

    Perhaps you should try to create a valid argument.

    In this case, we're talking about a feature which that doesn't actively
    annoy you, versus one that does. The Nautilus feature will start playing
    MP3's simply if you let your mouse stop over an mp3 icon for a few seconds
    and you'll have to dig through layers of configuration screens to turn it
    off. Gadgets run in the background and have a nice and easy right click
    "quit" on them to turn them off.

    Gadgets won't alert your whole office to things that are in your filesystem
    by blaring them over your speakers.

  4. Re: Mother's ire puts Ballmer on defence over Vista

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:42:25 -0500, chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >>> OSX did not have gadgets first. Microsoft was showing that
    >>> functionality in 2003, and various other stuff was out about the same
    >>> time as well from other sources.
    >>>
    >>> You may not find them valuable, but others do.

    >> You fscking hypocrite.
    >>
    >> Do you recall what you recently wrote, Erik, in regards to a harmless
    >> feature of the Nautilus file-viewer? "I'm sure it can be turned off, but
    >> still... what a ****ing stupid idea."
    >>
    >> Perhaps you should endeavor to be more consistent in the application of
    >> your "you may not find them valuable, but others do" philosophy,
    >> hypocrite, not just in regards to Micro$oft products.

    >Perhaps you should try to create a valid argument.

    Done it.

    >In this case, we're talking about a feature which that doesn't actively
    >annoy you, versus one that does.

    LOL

    Says you, Fuddie.

    >The Nautilus feature will start playing
    >MP3's simply if you let your mouse stop over an mp3 icon for a few seconds
    >and you'll have to dig through layers of configuration screens to turn it
    >off. Gadgets run in the background and have a nice and easy right click
    >"quit" on them to turn them off.

    Oh, is it really "layers of configuration screens", Fuddie? In any
    case, it's not a bad idea to make "new and unexpected behavior" like
    the Nautilus feature the default, even if some find it annoying,
    because otherwise no one would know it's even available.

    >Gadgets won't alert your whole office to things that are in your filesystem
    >by blaring them over your speakers.

    Turn it off, then, Fuddie. You may not find it valuable, but others
    do. Hypocrite.

  5. Re: Mother's ire puts Ballmer on defence over Vista

    On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 22:23:37 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

    >>> OSX did not have gadgets first.

    > Not OS X, no - but the /Mac/ did.

    No.

    >>> Microsoft was showing that functionality in 2003

    > And the Mac had widgets called "Desk Accessories" ... 22 years earlier,
    > in 1981.

    Desk Accessories were entirely differnt things. They were stand-alone
    applications, much like "calculator", things we call "Applets".

    > You're not very good at this, are you Erik?

    Not nearly as bad as you are.

    >>> and various other stuff was out about the same time as well from
    >>> other sources.

    > Yes, yes ... I know all about Active Desktop and Konfabulator. You are
    > deluded if you think Microsoft somehow invented desktop widgets. In fact
    > you are deluded if you think that Microsoft invented /anything/ of much
    > significance.

    Where did i say they invented them? You're delusional for somehow coming
    up with that.

  6. Re: Mother's ire puts Ballmer on defence over Vista

    > ____/ Linonut on Friday 12 October 2007 12:53 : \____
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, [H]omer belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu spake thusly:

    >>> Ballmer: "Users appreciate the value that we put into Vista"

    >> It's Ballmer Bull**** (BBS).

    > Wasn't that Bill's BS?

    Both. According to Ray Noorda: "Pearly" Gates and "Em" Ballmer. One
    would dazzle you with visions, the other would put your business on the
    slab.

    Pretty funny for a guy (Ballmer) who:

    "... honed his marketing skills at Procter & Gamble, where he helped
    sell Duncan Hines's Moist & Easy product line."

    "Moist & Easy" Ballmer?

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: Mother's ire puts Ballmer on defence over Vista

    ____/ Linonut on Tuesday 16 October 2007 00:14 : \____

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> ____/ Linonut on Friday 12 October 2007 12:53 : \____
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, [H]omer belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> It's Ballmer Bull**** (BBS).

    >> Wasn't that Bill's BS?

    > Both. According to Ray Noorda: "Pearly" Gates and "Em" Ballmer. One
    > would dazzle you with visions, the other would put your business on the
    > slab.
    >
    > Pretty funny for a guy (Ballmer) who:
    >
    > "... honed his marketing skills at Procter & Gamble, where he helped
    > sell Duncan Hines's Moist & Easy product line."
    >
    > "Moist & Easy" Ballmer?

    Yeah, I remember that! :-) Even quoted it somewhere. The Shark has pearly
    teeth...

    Still trying to figure out if you could call a leaping baboon "a shark". With
    animals, ascribing one's behavioural characteristics using animal comparisons
    can get a tad confusing.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Mandriva & Fedora - Gotta love them girls
    01:20:01 up 35 days, 23:26, 7 users, load average: 1.88, 1.67, 1.73

  8. Re: Mother's ire puts Ballmer on defence over Vista

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Linonut on Tuesday 16 October 2007 00:14 : \____
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Linonut on Friday 12 October 2007 12:53 : \____

    >>> Wasn't that Bill's BS?

    >> Both. According to Ray Noorda: "Pearly" Gates and "Em" Ballmer. One
    >> would dazzle you with visions, the other would put your business on the
    >> slab.
    >>
    >> Pretty funny for a guy (Ballmer) who:
    >>
    >> "... honed his marketing skills at Procter & Gamble, where he helped
    >> sell Duncan Hines's Moist & Easy product line."
    >>
    >> "Moist & Easy" Ballmer?

    > Yeah, I remember that! :-) Even quoted it somewhere. The Shark has pearly
    > teeth...
    >
    > Still trying to figure out if you could call a leaping baboon "a shark". With
    > animals, ascribing one's behavioural characteristics using animal comparisons
    > can get a tad confusing.

    Wow - how could anyone get away with a marketing tag line of "moist and
    easy".