Puzzling System Behavior - Linux

This is a discussion on Puzzling System Behavior - Linux ; Will a system free if does not get enough power? With a larger fan add, the system froze during POST. Replaced the fan with the older, smaller fan. The system works fine now....

  1. Puzzling System Behavior

    Will a system free if does not get enough power? With a larger fan
    add, the system froze during POST. Replaced the fan with the older,
    smaller fan. The system works fine now.

  2. Re: Puzzling System Behavior

    fsuarez2005@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Will a system free if does not get enough power? With a larger fan
    > add, the system froze during POST. Replaced the fan with the older,
    > smaller fan. The system works fine now.

    the newer fan probably has ranges out of sync with your bios. If I am
    right in thinking that you have an older bios, reflash it. It is
    definately not a power or cooling problem.

    -! m@

  3. Re: Puzzling System Behavior

    In article <1110934671.631548.60040@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.c om>,
    fsuarez2005@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Will a system free if does not get enough power?

    Yes

    >With a larger fan add, the system froze during POST.

    In summer, the temperature here will reach +45C. I must get some fans
    the will cool my system that well. ;-)

    >Replaced the fan with the older, smaller fan. The system works fine now.

    Did you hear the fan running OK? What about the disk drive? Did you
    have lights on the front of the system lit?

    1. Possible overload of the +5V - did not allow the "POWERGD" signal from
    the power supply. Result is the same as holding the sytem RESET button on
    the computer. You may hear noise, may see lights (although maybe not as
    bright) - but NO action from the CPU.

    2. Possible overload of the +12 volt - Power supply may detect this, in
    which case, same symptoms as above. Other symptom - disk drive doesn't
    spin up.

    3. Possibly when you were inside the computer, you moved some cables
    or other hardware that were/are loose.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread