Missing mails.. - Linux

This is a discussion on Missing mails.. - Linux ; Hi, I have downloaded the PC linux 2004 liveCD ISO image ( http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php ) from the net and burnt it on a CD. I took the CD to my work place, booted the PC from the CD. It worked great ...

  1. Missing mails..

    Hi,

    I have downloaded the PC linux 2004 liveCD ISO image
    (http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php) from the net and burnt
    it on a CD. I took the CD to my work place, booted the PC from the CD.
    It worked great and PC linux is really cool. I configured the mail
    clients (KMail, KContact, Mozilla thunderbird) that were supplied with
    the linux distro and I was able to read all my mails with out any
    problems. After sometime, when I rebooted my PC from the hard disk,
    windows 2000 pro came up as usual, but my inbox was empty. It looks
    like once I read the messages in linux, it has deleted the mails from
    the mail server. How do I prevent this in future (when I boot with PC
    linux next time)?.

    Does any one have suggestions?.

    Thanks in advance,
    Balaji.

  2. Re: Missing mails..

    Balaji Pooruli wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have downloaded the PC linux 2004 liveCD ISO image
    > (http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php) from the net and burnt
    > it on a CD. I took the CD to my work place, booted the PC from the CD.
    > It worked great and PC linux is really cool. I configured the mail
    > clients (KMail, KContact, Mozilla thunderbird) that were supplied with
    > the linux distro and I was able to read all my mails with out any
    > problems. After sometime, when I rebooted my PC from the hard disk,
    > windows 2000 pro came up as usual, but my inbox was empty. It looks
    > like once I read the messages in linux, it has deleted the mails from
    > the mail server. How do I prevent this in future (when I boot with PC
    > linux next time)?.

    You need to configure your mail clients on Linux to leave
    your email on the server. There is usually a flag or
    something that needs to be set and usually can be done in
    the client before you download anything. If you are using a
    liveCD then you will need to do this each time you start it,
    unless you can save the configuration information to your
    hard disk.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

  3. Re: Missing mails..

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:21:41 -0800, Balaji Pooruli wrote:
    > I have downloaded the PC linux 2004 liveCD ISO image
    > (http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php) from the net and burnt
    > it on a CD. I took the CD to my work place, booted the PC from the CD.
    > It worked great and PC linux is really cool. I configured the mail
    > clients (KMail, KContact, Mozilla thunderbird) that were supplied with
    > the linux distro and I was able to read all my mails with out any
    > problems. After sometime, when I rebooted my PC from the hard disk,
    > windows 2000 pro came up as usual, but my inbox was empty. It looks
    > like once I read the messages in linux, it has deleted the mails from
    > the mail server. How do I prevent this in future (when I boot with PC
    > linux next time)?.

    Look for an option like "leave messages on server" or "delete downloaded
    messages from server" in your Linux mail clients.

    Alternatively, if your mail server supports the IMAP protocol (which
    manipulates messages on the server instead of using local copies), use
    that instead of POP3.

    Cheers,
    Minderbinder.

+ Reply to Thread