Anyone seen the Mplayer webpage lately? - Linux

This is a discussion on Anyone seen the Mplayer webpage lately? - Linux ; Closed for patent infringement This site has been shut down because of numerous patent violations in MPlayer. The other free software multimedia players are next. The European commission has just passed its directive on software patents, violating democratic rules and ...

  1. Anyone seen the Mplayer webpage lately?

    Closed for patent infringement

    This site has been shut down because of numerous patent violations in
    MPlayer. The other free software multimedia players are next.

    The European commission has just passed its directive on software patents,
    violating democratic rules and procedures to the sole benefit of big
    non-European corporation and Ireland and to the detriment of small and
    medium sized businesses (which comprise 99% of the European software
    industry) and free software.

    The European parliament will now be taking the last stand against software
    patents in a voting for which an absolute majority is needed. Such a
    majority is hard to come by in a parliament with a low attendance level.

    But not all is lost yet as long as you decide it is time to make a
    difference and take action. This is our last opportunity to fend off
    software patents worldwide, there will be no second chance for the
    foreseeable future. Contact your local EU representatives and educate them
    why software patents are bad and why they must attend that parliament
    session to vote against them. For in-depth information and starting points
    to get active visit software patent page of the FFII (Foundation for a
    Free Information Infrastructure) and NoSoftwarePatents.com.

    Wish us luck, we will need it.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

  2. Re: Anyone seen the Mplayer webpage lately?

    Here is the main reason for this: http://progenitor.se/luxembourg9cu.jpg

    > Wish us luck, we will need it.

    We need more than luck, we need to fight, take to weapons and see to that the
    criminals will be severly punished.

    //Aho

  3. Re: Anyone seen the Mplayer webpage lately?

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:54:39 +0100, J.O. Aho thoughtfully wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >> Closed for patent infringement
    >>
    >> This site has been shut down because of numerous patent violations in
    >> MPlayer. The other free software multimedia players are next.

    > Here is the main reason for this: http://progenitor.se/luxembourg9cu.jpg
    >

    >> Wish us luck, we will need it.

    > We need more than luck, we need to fight, take to weapons and see to that
    > the criminals will be severly punished.
    >

    > //Aho

    Yeah, the real fight is to hold the EU accountable to the people. The
    EU like the WTO is an unelected body of businessman representing big
    business interests.

  4. Re: Anyone seen the Mplayer webpage lately?

    noi writes:

    >On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:54:39 +0100, J.O. Aho thoughtfully wrote:

    >> Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >>> Closed for patent infringement
    >>>
    >>> This site has been shut down because of numerous patent violations in
    >>> MPlayer. The other free software multimedia players are next.

    >> Here is the main reason for this: http://progenitor.se/luxembourg9cu.jpg
    >>

    >>> Wish us luck, we will need it.

    >> We need more than luck, we need to fight, take to weapons and see to that
    >> the criminals will be severly punished.
    >>

    >> //Aho

    >Yeah, the real fight is to hold the EU accountable to the people. The
    >EU like the WTO is an unelected body of businessman representing big
    >business interests.

    At present this sounds like grandstanding. Ie, mplayer is NOT shut down.
    They are worried that they might be under proposed patent legislation.

  5. Re: Anyone seen the Mplayer webpage lately?

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:11:42 +0000, Bill Unruh wrote:

    > noi writes:

    >>> Here is the main reason for this: http://progenitor.se/luxembourg9cu.jpg

    >>> We need more than luck, we need to fight, take to weapons and see to that
    >>> the criminals will be severly punished.
    >>>

    >>> //Aho

    >>Yeah, the real fight is to hold the EU accountable to the people. The
    >>EU like the WTO is an unelected body of businessman representing big
    >>business interests.

    > At present this sounds like grandstanding. Ie, mplayer is NOT shut down.
    > They are worried that they might be under proposed patent legislation.

    Hey! That link to enter their site wasn't there when I posted the text
    from it a few days ago. Maybe they were trying to make a point. Well,
    good, I need the new version.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

+ Reply to Thread