Code Browsing Techniques - Linux

This is a discussion on Code Browsing Techniques - Linux ; HI I am CS student studying in London and I have had an interest in developing open source software however after looking around at projects that I might want to start making contributions too I realised the amount of code ...

  1. Code Browsing Techniques

    HI

    I am CS student studying in London and I have had an interest in
    developing open source
    software however after looking around at projects that I might want to
    start making
    contributions too I realised the amount of code that I have to go
    through just to
    get an understanding of the underlying architecture of the system.

    Does anybody have any tips ( preferabbly from personal experience ) of
    how they got to
    know the code . Oh by the i know about mailing lists thats what almost
    everybody suggests. ... are there more suggestions on how to understand
    a code base well enough to make some kind of technical contribution.
    We have learnt Java at uni however I have programmed in C for a while
    and not that much in C++ ...

    thx

  2. Re: Code Browsing Techniques

    I'd suggest the fastest way would be to get as much documentation as possible,
    see if there's a spec of the modules used in the project code and study
    their interfaces (as well as the data structures being used) so that you
    can visually map it and decide on where you would like to make contributions.
    Knowing what each part of the system does significantly decreases the pain
    and time spent on learning the code.

    Hope this helps.

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:14:14 -0800, Antwarrior wrote:

    > HI
    >
    > I am CS student studying in London and I have had an interest in
    > developing open source
    > software however after looking around at projects that I might want to
    > start making
    > contributions too I realised the amount of code that I have to go
    > through just to
    > get an understanding of the underlying architecture of the system.
    >
    > Does anybody have any tips ( preferabbly from personal experience ) of
    > how they got to
    > know the code . Oh by the i know about mailing lists thats what almost
    > everybody suggests. ... are there more suggestions on how to understand
    > a code base well enough to make some kind of technical contribution.
    > We have learnt Java at uni however I have programmed in C for a while
    > and not that much in C++ ...
    >
    > thx

  3. Re: Code Browsing Techniques

    So I guess code analysers arent such a good idea. I thought thtat they
    would help
    in seeing the structure of the application.... thx though.

  4. Re: Code Browsing Techniques

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:14:14 -0800, Antwarrior thoughtfully wrote:

    > HI
    >
    > I am CS student studying in London and I have had an interest in
    > developing open source
    > software however after looking around at projects that I might want to
    > start making
    > contributions too I realised the amount of code that I have to go through
    > just to
    > get an understanding of the underlying architecture of the system.
    >
    > Does anybody have any tips ( preferabbly from personal experience ) of how
    > they got to
    > know the code . Oh by the i know about mailing lists thats what almost
    > everybody suggests. ... are there more suggestions on how to understand a
    > code base well enough to make some kind of technical contribution. We
    > have learnt Java at uni however I have programmed in C for a while and not
    > that much in C++ ...
    >
    > thx

    I say start small. Pick your favorite enhancement an work from there.
    Maybe get your feet wet writing an extension for Firefox or other
    small C or Java front-end project that is self contained.

+ Reply to Thread