Compiling software - Linux

This is a discussion on Compiling software - Linux ; Hi, I'm trying to install some software from source (amaroK, but it could apply equally to anything), which has a number of dependancies(sp?). I install the dependencies but it doesn't recognise them when I try to re-configure amaroK. Why is ...

  1. Compiling software

    Hi,

    I'm trying to install some software from source (amaroK, but it could
    apply equally to anything), which has a number of dependancies(sp?). I
    install the dependencies but it doesn't recognise them when I try to
    re-configure amaroK. Why is this?

    TIA,
    - QS Computing.

  2. Re: Compiling software

    Op Tue, 15 Mar 2005 05:17:33 -0800, schreef QS Computing:

    > install the dependencies but it doesn't recognise them when I try to
    > re-configure amaroK. Why is this?

    try ./configure --help to see if you can specify paths where it should
    look for those deps.

    Otherwise: what error are you getting? What dependencies did you install?

  3. Re: Compiling software

    Rainmaker wrote on Tuesday 15 Mar 2005 14:53:

    > Op Tue, 15 Mar 2005 05:17:33 -0800, schreef QS Computing:
    >
    >> install the dependencies but it doesn't recognise them when I try to
    >> re-configure amaroK. Why is this?

    > try ./configure --help to see if you can specify paths where it should
    > look for those deps.

    Couldn't find anything, but I may have missed it.

    > Otherwise: what error are you getting? What dependencies did you install?

    I'm trying to install xine-lib and/or GStreamer (pref. both) right now.
    Trying xine-lib, I ./configure, make and make install, then go back to
    amaroK and ./configure and it says it can't find xine-lib.

    I also needed TagLib but I found an RPM of that which installed fine with no
    problems.

    --
    QS Computing
    http://www.qscomputing.plus.com

  4. Re: Compiling software

    Can you post the output of ./configure --help in the amarok dir? It
    should have an option along the lines of "--with-xine=DIR" or along
    those lines...

  5. Re: Compiling software

    Vfrc wrote on Tuesday 15 Mar 2005 20:07:

    > Can you post the output of ./configure --help in the amarok dir? It
    > should have an option along the lines of "--with-xine=DIR" or along
    > those lines...

    I'm going to build with arTs as the audio engine - I assume that I can
    reconfigure and make later if I get the recommended audio engines working,

    Here's the configure --help output.

    `configure' configures this package to adapt to many kinds of systems.

    Usage: ./configure [OPTION]... [VAR=VALUE]...

    To assign environment variables (e.g., CC, CFLAGS...), specify them as
    VAR=VALUE. See below for descriptions of some of the useful variables.

    Defaults for the options are specified in brackets.

    Configuration:
    -h, --help display this help and exit
    --help=short display options specific to this package
    --help=recursive display the short help of all the included
    packages
    -V, --version display version information and exit
    -q, --quiet, --silent do not print `checking...' messages
    --cache-file=FILE cache test results in FILE [disabled]
    -C, --config-cache alias for `--cache-file=config.cache'
    -n, --no-create do not create output files
    --srcdir=DIR find the sources in DIR [configure dir or `..']

    Installation directories:
    --prefix=PREFIX install architecture-independent files in PREFIX
    [the kde prefix]
    --exec-prefix=EPREFIX install architecture-dependent files in EPREFIX
    [PREFIX]

    By default, `make install' will install all the files in
    `the kde prefix/bin', `the kde prefix/lib' etc. You can specify
    an installation prefix other than `the kde prefix' using `--prefix',
    for instance `--prefix=$HOME'.

    For better control, use the options below.

    Fine tuning of the installation directories:
    --bindir=DIR user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
    --sbindir=DIR system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
    --libexecdir=DIR program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
    --datadir=DIR read-only architecture-independent data
    [PREFIX/share]
    --sysconfdir=DIR read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
    --sharedstatedir=DIR modifiable architecture-independent data
    [PREFIX/com]
    --localstatedir=DIR modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
    --libdir=DIR object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
    --includedir=DIR C header files [PREFIX/include]
    --oldincludedir=DIR C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
    --infodir=DIR info documentation [PREFIX/info]
    --mandir=DIR man documentation [PREFIX/man]

    Program names:
    --program-prefix=PREFIX prepend PREFIX to installed program
    names
    --program-suffix=SUFFIX append SUFFIX to installed program
    names
    --program-transform-name=PROGRAM run sed PROGRAM on installed program
    names

    System types:
    --build=BUILD configure for building on BUILD [guessed]
    --host=HOST cross-compile to build programs to run on HOST [BUILD]
    --target=TARGET configure for building compilers for TARGET [HOST]

    Optional Features:
    --disable-FEATURE do not include FEATURE (same as
    --enable-FEATURE=no)
    --enable-FEATURE[=ARG] include FEATURE [ARG=yes]
    --disable-fast-perl disable fast Makefile generation (needs perl)
    --enable-debug=ARG enables debug symbols (yes|no|full) default=no
    --disable-debug disables debug output and debug symbols default=no
    --enable-strict compiles with strict compiler options (may not
    work!)
    --disable-warnings disables compilation with -Wall and similar
    --enable-profile creates profiling infos default=no
    --disable-dependency-tracking Speeds up one-time builds
    --enable-dependency-tracking Do not reject slow dependency extractors
    --enable-pch enables precompiled header support (currently only
    KCC or gcc >=3.4+unsermake) default=no
    --enable-coverage use gcc coverage testing
    --enable-new-ldflags enable the new linker flags
    --enable-final build size optimized apps (experimental - needs
    lots
    of memory)
    --enable-closure delay template instantiation
    --enable-nmcheck enable automatic namespace cleanness check
    --enable-shared[=PKGS]
    build shared libraries [default=yes]
    --enable-static[=PKGS]
    build static libraries [default=no]
    --enable-libsuffix /lib directory suffix (64,32,none=default)
    --enable-fast-install[=PKGS]
    optimize for fast installation [default=yes]
    --disable-libtool-lock avoid locking (might break parallel builds)
    --enable-embedded link to Qt-embedded, don't use X
    --enable-qtopia link to Qt-embedded, link to the Qtopia
    Environment
    --enable-mac link to Qt/Mac (don't use X)
    --disable-mt link to non-threaded Qt (deprecated)
    --disable-threading disables threading even if libpthread found
    --disable-rpath do not use the rpath feature of ld
    --disable-path-check don't try to find out, where to install
    --enable-mysql build amaroK with MySql support default=disabled
    --disable-amazon disable Amazon cover download support
    default=enable

    Optional Packages:
    --with-PACKAGE[=ARG] use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
    --without-PACKAGE do not use PACKAGE (same as --with-PACKAGE=no)
    --with-gnu-ld assume the C compiler uses GNU ld [default=no]
    --with-pic try to use only PIC/non-PIC objects [default=use
    both]
    --with-tags[=TAGS]
    include additional configurations [automatic]
    --with-extra-includes=DIR
    adds non standard include paths
    --with-extra-libs=DIR adds non standard library paths
    --with-qt-dir=DIR where the root of Qt is installed
    --with-qt-includes=DIR where the Qt includes are.
    --with-qt-libraries=DIR where the Qt library is installed.
    --without-arts build without aRts default=no
    --without-gstreamer build amaroK without GStreamer default=with
    --without-xine build amaroK without xine default=with
    --with-nmm build amaroK with NMM support default=without
    --with-nmm-dir path to the NMM default=/usr/local
    --with-mas build amaroK with MAS support default=without
    --without-opengl build amaroK without OpenGL default=with
    --without-included-sqlite
    don't use the included sqlite sources default=with

    Some influential environment variables:
    CC C compiler command
    CFLAGS C compiler flags
    LDFLAGS linker flags, e.g. -L if you have libraries in a
    nonstandard directory
    CPPFLAGS C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I if you have
    headers in a nonstandard directory
    CPP C preprocessor
    CXX C++ compiler command
    CXXFLAGS C++ compiler flags
    CXXCPP C++ preprocessor
    F77 Fortran 77 compiler command
    FFLAGS Fortran 77 compiler flags
    PKGCONFIGFOUND
    Path to pkg-config

    Use these variables to override the choices made by `configure' or to help
    it to find libraries and programs with nonstandard names/locations.

    --
    QS Computing
    http://www.qscomputing.plus.com
    postmaster@qscomputing.plus.com

  6. Re: Compiling software

    QS Computing wrote:
    > Vfrc wrote on Tuesday 15 Mar 2005 20:07:
    >
    > > Can you post the output of ./configure --help in the amarok dir? It
    > > should have an option along the lines of "--with-xine=DIR" or along
    > > those lines...

    > I'm going to build with arTs as the audio engine - I assume that I

    can
    > reconfigure and make later if I get the recommended audio engines

    working,

    > Here's the configure --help output.
    >
    > `configure' configures this package to adapt to many kinds of

    systems.

    > Usage: ./configure [OPTION]... [VAR=VALUE]...
    >
    > To assign environment variables (e.g., CC, CFLAGS...), specify them

    as
    > VAR=VALUE. See below for descriptions of some of the useful

    variables.

    > Defaults for the options are specified in brackets.
    >
    > Configuration:
    > -h, --help display this help and exit
    > --help=short display options specific to this package
    > --help=recursive display the short help of all the included
    > packages
    > -V, --version display version information and exit
    > -q, --quiet, --silent do not print `checking...' messages
    > --cache-file=FILE cache test results in FILE [disabled]
    > -C, --config-cache alias for `--cache-file=config.cache'
    > -n, --no-create do not create output files
    > --srcdir=DIR find the sources in DIR [configure dir or

    `..']

> [...]

    > don't use the included sqlite sources

    default=with

    > Some influential environment variables:
    > CC C compiler command
    > CFLAGS C compiler flags
    > LDFLAGS linker flags, e.g. -L if you have libraries in

    > nonstandard directory
    > CPPFLAGS C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I if you

    have
    > headers in a nonstandard directory
    > CPP C preprocessor
    > CXX C++ compiler command
    > CXXFLAGS C++ compiler flags
    > CXXCPP C++ preprocessor
    > F77 Fortran 77 compiler command
    > FFLAGS Fortran 77 compiler flags
    > PKGCONFIGFOUND
    > Path to pkg-config
    >
    > Use these variables to override the choices made by `configure' or to

    help
    > it to find libraries and programs with nonstandard names/locations.

    Try giving --with-extra-includes=
    --with-extra-libs= to ./configure

  7. Re: Compiling software

    Make sure you run 'ldconfig' everytime you install a new program library,
    or the dynamic linker won't be able to find the new stuff when compiling
    stuff that uses the new libs.
    If it doesn't work, chech config.log in the
    directory where the configure script is for information about what goes
    wrong. Remember there are *supposed* to be stuff failing in config.log,
    it's just the script determining how things work on your system.
    /Anders Runesson

    Den Tue, 15 Mar 2005 05:17:33 -0800 skrev QS Computing:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to install some software from source (amaroK, but it could
    > apply equally to anything), which has a number of dependancies(sp?). I
    > install the dependencies but it doesn't recognise them when I try to
    > re-configure amaroK. Why is this?
    >
    > TIA,
    > - QS Computing.

+ Reply to Thread