Eclipse/CDT - Code Browsing/Navigating/Indexing problem - Help - Linux

This is a discussion on Eclipse/CDT - Code Browsing/Navigating/Indexing problem - Help - Linux ; We have an existing code base in unix that has its own Makefiles. they seem to build fine when issue a command such as "make install" on the command line. I am trying to use Eclipse+CDT to browse the source ...

  1. Eclipse/CDT - Code Browsing/Navigating/Indexing problem - Help

    We have an existing code base in unix that has its own Makefiles. they
    seem to build fine when issue a command such as "make install" on the
    command line.
    I am trying to use Eclipse+CDT to browse the source code. So I created
    a Standard Make C++ project. Then added the unix folder containing the
    source code as a linked in folder. The code is visible and I can click
    and open specific file.

    When every I makr a function name, and try to goto its declaration it
    fails with a Error string in red saying this operation is not supported
    for this file.
    Ive notice this works if the function declaration is also within the
    same file. But not if it is in a separate file.

    My understanding is that eclipse has to do make operation so that
    completes indexing and discovers all the include paths. So I do a "make
    install" operation through eclipse which finishes without any apparent
    error. But it still does not allow me to go from a function invocation
    to its declaration.

    Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong.

    Thanks,
    Sarvi

  2. Re: Eclipse/CDT - Code Browsing/Navigating/Indexing problem - Help

    sarvilive@gmail.com wrote:
    > We have an existing code base in unix that has its own Makefiles. they
    > seem to build fine when issue a command such as "make install" on the
    > command line.
    > I am trying to use Eclipse+CDT to browse the source code. So I created
    > a Standard Make C++ project. Then added the unix folder containing the
    > source code as a linked in folder. The code is visible and I can click
    > and open specific file.
    >
    > When every I makr a function name, and try to goto its declaration it
    > fails with a Error string in red saying this operation is not supported
    > for this file.
    > Ive notice this works if the function declaration is also within the
    > same file. But not if it is in a separate file.
    >
    > My understanding is that eclipse has to do make operation so that
    > completes indexing and discovers all the include paths. So I do a "make
    > install" operation through eclipse which finishes without any apparent
    > error. But it still does not allow me to go from a function invocation
    > to its declaration.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sarvi

    Try the Eclipse CDT mailing lists found here:

    http://www.eclipse.org/mail/index.html

    Regards,
    Larry