Linux for older laptop to access desktop of SUSE 9.2 - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux for older laptop to access desktop of SUSE 9.2 - Linux ; I have an older laptop (300 MHz, 96MB memory) that I would like to access the desktop of another PC on a home network. The other PC will be running SUSE 9.2. (I apologize for putting it in these terms, ...

  1. Linux for older laptop to access desktop of SUSE 9.2

    I have an older laptop (300 MHz, 96MB memory) that I would like to
    access the desktop of another PC on a home network. The other PC will
    be running SUSE 9.2.

    (I apologize for putting it in these terms, but I want the concept of
    Microsoft NetMeeting, to get to the more powerful PC from the laptop.)

    Also, simple internet browsing, text editing type stuff would be nice.

    Can someone recommend a Linux distributation that may work well for
    this? SUSE indicates minimum requirements of 128MB. Maybe a limited
    installation would run ok? Interested in any thoughts.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Linux for older laptop to access desktop of SUSE 9.2

    Ok, I think I can clarify this... I think I want the laptop to act as
    an X-Server. To allow the remote KDE to display on the laptop. I could
    go with Cygwin/XFree86 (the laptop currently runs Win2K). But I'm
    interested in a Linux distribution. Thanks again.

  3. Re: Linux for older laptop to access desktop of SUSE 9.2

    BrianSE wrote:
    > Ok, I think I can clarify this... I think I want the laptop to act

    as
    > an X-Server. To allow the remote KDE to display on the laptop. I

    could
    > go with Cygwin/XFree86 (the laptop currently runs Win2K). But I'm
    > interested in a Linux distribution. Thanks again.

    Almost any distro that will boot on your laptop can be used to access
    your main machine, using X. or remote KDE.

    Why not try the 'live' distros? There should even be a live version of
    Suse in your packaging, there was with mine.

    Or you could try Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc. The big advantage is that you
    won't have to disturb the existing installation while you try it out.

    Have aook at http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

+ Reply to Thread