Live CD for old laptop - Linux

This is a discussion on Live CD for old laptop - Linux ; Anyone know a live distro that will run on an old Toshiba 225cds? P133, 16mb, 2.1Gb HD I tried a bunch with no luck (SuSe, Knoppix, Slax, Beatrix, Linspire, ubuntu) I want to try an OS out before loading it ...

  1. Live CD for old laptop

    Anyone know a live distro that will run on an old Toshiba 225cds?
    P133, 16mb, 2.1Gb HD

    I tried a bunch with no luck (SuSe, Knoppix, Slax, Beatrix, Linspire,
    ubuntu)

    I want to try an OS out before loading it for the long haul.

    Any suggestions (besides using the laptop as a paperweight)?

  2. Re: Live CD for old laptop

    xrobevansx wrote:

    > Anyone know a live distro that will run on an old Toshiba 225cds?
    > P133, 16mb, 2.1Gb HD

    lol: not possible if you want to run an X-server (so no windowing
    environment). otherwise: perfect for commandline linux. but that's going to
    ask for some custom tweaking. don't expect to use this happily as a
    personal work-machine ...

    > I tried a bunch with no luck (SuSe, Knoppix, Slax, Beatrix, Linspire,
    > ubuntu)
    >
    > I want to try an OS out before loading it for the long haul.
    >
    > Any suggestions (besides using the laptop as a paperweight)?

  3. Re: Live CD for old laptop

    xrobevansx wrote:
    > Anyone know a live distro that will run on an old Toshiba 225cds?
    > P133, 16mb, 2.1Gb HD
    >
    > I tried a bunch with no luck (SuSe, Knoppix, Slax, Beatrix, Linspire,
    > ubuntu)
    >
    > I want to try an OS out before loading it for the long haul.
    >
    > Any suggestions (besides using the laptop as a paperweight)?

    Sorry to sound negative, but 'forget it'.

  4. Re: Live CD for old laptop

    Aw, come on ...you guys are being way too pessimistic!

    A pentium I is still good enough for a lightwieght WM (even for a desktop,
    from my experience). I'd just add a few more sticks of RAM

    LiveCD? I doubt it ...for most you need at least 64MB of RAM.
    But if you're persistant on having a LiveCD try Slax, Dynebolic or some tiny
    livecd.

    good luck,

    Matija

  5. Re: Live CD for old laptop

    xrobevansx wrote:
    > Anyone know a live distro that will run on an old Toshiba 225cds?
    > P133, 16mb, 2.1Gb HD
    >
    > I tried a bunch with no luck (SuSe, Knoppix, Slax, Beatrix, Linspire,
    > ubuntu)
    >
    > I want to try an OS out before loading it for the long haul.
    >
    > Any suggestions (besides using the laptop as a paperweight)?

    Slackware .

  6. Re: Live CD for old laptop

    Jonas Lyckegård wrote:
    > Slackware .

    I second to that.

    I was running Slackware on my 486/DX2 8MB ram with no problems at all for
    years! - X worked fine (with Blackbox and WindowMaker; and a bit choppy
    with KDE-2.x)

    maitja

  7. Re: Live CD for old laptop

    Hi,

    Try Kanotix or PC Linux or XFLD. I have tried many liveCD distros and
    so far I have seen Kanotix supports most hardwares. You could see a
    complete list here.

    http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php.

    Thanks,
    Balaji.

    Matija Šuklje wrote:
    > Jonas Lyckegård wrote:
    > > Slackware .

    > I second to that.
    >
    > I was running Slackware on my 486/DX2 8MB ram with no problems at all

    for
    > years! - X worked fine (with Blackbox and WindowMaker; and a bit

    choppy
    > with KDE-2.x)
    >
    > maitja

  8. Re: Live CD for old laptop