No cursor in console - Linux

This is a discussion on No cursor in console - Linux ; Hello, I experience problem with no cursor at linux console, using kernel 2.6.11.2 and frame-buffer? There is no cursor nor on bash prompt, nor in editors like mcedit, nano, vi? How can I solve this problem?...

  1. No cursor in console

    Hello,

    I experience problem with no cursor at linux console, using kernel
    2.6.11.2 and frame-buffer? There is no cursor nor on bash prompt, nor
    in editors like mcedit, nano, vi? How can I solve this problem?

  2. Re: No cursor in console

    tomas.vilda@gmail.com wrote in news:1110654922.436497.72410
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I experience problem with no cursor at linux console, using kernel
    > 2.6.11.2 and frame-buffer? There is no cursor nor on bash prompt, nor
    > in editors like mcedit, nano, vi? How can I solve this problem?

    I really don't know, but you might want to post your distro information so
    that someone with a similar system might be able to help you.

    --
    ~Ohmster
    ohmster at newsguy dot com

  3. Re: No cursor in console

    Spake tomas.vilda@gmail.com:
    > I experience problem with no cursor at linux console, using kernel
    > 2.6.11.2 and frame-buffer? There is no cursor nor on bash prompt, nor
    > in editors like mcedit, nano, vi? How can I solve this problem?

    Simple solution: Switch to another console (Ctrl+Alt+F1 through F6), log
    in and run "killall -9 bash" as root. That should terminate any
    applications hogging that console (it will also log everyone out).

    If you can login but the display is broken, try logging in from another
    machine (you have SSH running, right?) starting X as the root user (just
    "X", or possible "X :1"). Then type Ctrl+C to kill X and (hopefully)
    restore your console display.

    From the console, you can try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart the machine
    safely. If all else fails, turn it off at the wall.

    PS: With some hardware+software configurations, X won't restore your
    console correctly when you leave / terminate X. I don't know how to fix
    that short of restarting the machine.

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    Stubborness will get you where self-esteem won't let you go.

  4. Re: No cursor in console

    My system is "linux from scratch" I'm not running nor xwindows
    system, nor ssh server, rebooting computer doesn't help, if I disable
    frame-buffer everything is O.K.

  5. Re: No cursor in console

    Spake tomas.vilda@gmail.com:
    > My system is "linux from scratch" I'm not running nor xwindows
    > system, nor ssh server, rebooting computer doesn't help, if I disable
    > frame-buffer everything is O.K.

    Oh I see. So by `cursor' you actually mean `cursor' :-)

    Sorry, can't help you there. Can't you change the cursor style with
    VT100 codes? Or possibly fiddling the with console character set.

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    Asked whether Microsoft could threaten Linux, Torvalds said: "What can

  6. Re: No cursor in console

    Hi all

    I think, to get a cursor in the console you'll need either 'selection'
    or 'gpm' running (gpm being the more favourable).

    See: http://linux.schottelius.org/gpm/

    Cheers
    --Colin Horne

  7. Re: No cursor in console

    Spake Colin Horne:
    > I think, to get a cursor in the console you'll need either 'selection'
    > or 'gpm' running (gpm being the more favourable).

    In this context I think cursor means the flashing underline / block that
    shows where text will be inserted if you type. The thing controlled by
    a pointing device (e.g. mouse) is called a pointer.

    I think the OP is saying that the console is completely blank when
    running framebuffer (e.g. vga=790), but not in normal 80x25 mode (i.e.
    vga=normal).

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    Of course they're pallid and mushroom-like, Howard!

  8. Re: No cursor in console

    Hi Trent

    Good point :-)

+ Reply to Thread