Database spreadsheet front end? - Linux

This is a discussion on Database spreadsheet front end? - Linux ; I'm wondering whether there's a program which lets me edit a database (either MySql or sqlite) with a spreadsheet-like interface. I just have a simple one-table database that I only access locally and I want to be able to edit ...

  1. Database spreadsheet front end?

    I'm wondering whether there's a program which lets me edit a database
    (either MySql or sqlite) with a spreadsheet-like interface. I just
    have a simple one-table database that I only access locally and I want
    to be able to edit it more easily than modifying the originating
    tab-separated text file and re-importing it.

    Can OpenOffice be used for this? I tried but couldn't figure out how
    to do it that way.

  2. Re: Database spreadsheet front end?

    Spake Adam:
    > I'm wondering whether there's a program which lets me edit a database
    > (either MySql or sqlite) with a spreadsheet-like interface. I just
    > have a simple one-table database that I only access locally and I want
    > to be able to edit it more easily than modifying the originating
    > tab-separated text file and re-importing it.

    Not the answer you want, but you could:

    - Just use CSV files instead of a complete database.

    - Write a script to automate exporting the table, opening a table
    editor and then reimporting the changed table.

    > Can OpenOffice be used for this? I tried but couldn't figure out how
    > to do it that way.

    I hear OpenOffice 2.0 suite has a Microsoft Access-type application; a
    beta version was released recently. It'll be a while before it is
    included in the default Fedora install, however (I'd guess 3 to 6
    months).

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    "I'm not a liberal, I'm a militant radical."

+ Reply to Thread