Small Requirements, Full featured - Linux

This is a discussion on Small Requirements, Full featured - Linux ; Hi there- I use Xandros OCE on my 2nd PC. Before that I tried Mandrake, Knoppix, SuSe, and MK10. I have an OLD laptop (Toshiba Satellite from about 1997-98) with a very small HD (appx 2 gig) What OS could ...

  1. Small Requirements, Full featured

    Hi there-

    I use Xandros OCE on my 2nd PC. Before that I tried Mandrake, Knoppix,
    SuSe, and MK10.

    I have an OLD laptop (Toshiba Satellite from about 1997-98) with a very
    small HD (appx 2 gig)

    What OS could I use on there that is:
    1. Easy to install
    2. Fairly full featured with built in software
    3. Will work with this piece of antiquated machinary

    ANY help appreciated-

    Rob in NJ

  2. Re: Small Requirements, Full featured

    > 1. Easy to install
    > 2. Fairly full featured with built in software
    > 3. Will work with this piece of antiquated machinary

    Well ,you're unlikely to get anything particularly full featured on a
    2G HDD, but you can safely fit XFree86, a window manager, and Mozilla
    etc on 2 gigs.

    I'd recommend slackware linux as a distro, and windowmaker as a window
    manager. Windowmaker takes a bit of getting used to, but it'll run much
    smoother than KDE or GNOME on an old machine.

    Also, gentoo's good but I have no experience with it.

    Cheers
    --Colin Horne

  3. Re: Small Requirements, Full featured

    Failed to mention: 16 mb RAM...'oh!

  4. Re: Small Requirements, Full featured

    xrobevansx wrote:
    > Failed to mention: 16 mb RAM...'oh!

    Try Vector Linux.

    http://www.vectorlinux.com/

    >From their version 1.8 - I believe 2.2x kernel

    "System Requirements:
    VL is designed to run well even on older hardware. To run VL,
    you'll need at least a 386 processor and 16MB RAM. A full install
    of VL requires 350MB hard drive space. "

    I think that with version 2.0 they started to use kernel 2.4x

  5. Re: Small Requirements, Full featured

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:25:05 -0800, Colin Horne wrote:

    > Also, gentoo's good but I have no experience with it.

    Although I use (and love) Gentoo, I would not recommend it for use on
    such an old system just for the fact that you are going to have to
    compile just about everything. This could be very frustrating on a
    slow system and could even be bad for an old laptop (heat issues and
    such).

    --
    Trevor Fancher
    PGP Key ID: BE946191

  6. Re: Small Requirements, Full featured

    What version is best for my hardware? Basically, this is the rundown:
    Model Toshiba 225CDS
    Manufacturer Toshiba
    Product Line Satellite
    Battery Type Lithium Ion
    Average Battery Life 3 H
    Input Device Keyboard, Trackpoint
    Weight 7.0546 Lb
    Processor Manufacturer Intel
    Processor Type Pentium
    Processor Speed 133 MHz
    Bus Speed 66 MHz
    Level 2 Cache 256 KB
    Hard Drive Capacity 1.4 GB
    Hard Drive Interface IDE / EIDE
    Installed Memory 16 MB
    RAM Type EDO DRAM
    Max Supported RAM 144 MB
    Drive Type CD-ROM
    Screen Type LCD Passive Matrix
    Video Memory 2 MB
    Max Resolution 1280 x 1024

    I saw the download sites but wasn't sure about which version was best,
    as well as how to unzip a bz2 (or b2z) file?

    Little confused... :\

    Rob in NJ

+ Reply to Thread