change grub loader order - Linux

This is a discussion on change grub loader order - Linux ; I have a dual boot pc (linux and windows 2000). By default on start up it selects linux and boots it, unless I physically change it into windows during the specified time interval (8 seconds i guess). I want to ...

  1. change grub loader order

    I have a dual boot pc (linux and windows 2000). By default on start up
    it selects linux and boots it, unless I physically change it into
    windows during the specified time interval (8 seconds i guess). I want
    to make windows the default os to be booted. how to achieve this
    without reinstalling linux.

  2. Re: change grub loader order

    nin234@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I have a dual boot pc (linux and windows 2000). By default on start up
    > it selects linux and boots it, unless I physically change it into
    > windows during the specified time interval (8 seconds i guess). I want
    > to make windows the default os to be booted. how to achieve this
    > without reinstalling linux.

    Login as 'root' and edit the file '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.

    Your menu entries are listed in-order there. The first
    entry is considered entry number zero (0), and is usually the entry
    for booting Linux. One of the entries (probaby the second - that is
    entry number one (1) as far as grub is concerned) is for booting
    Windows.

    The default OS to boot is defined by the line 'default x', eg:

    default 0

    The above line makes entry number zero (the first one) the
    default OS to boot. So, if Windows is the second OS listed,
    change the line to:

    default 1

    Save the file, and on the next boot Windows should be the default.

    Regards,
    Larry

  3. Re: change grub loader order

    nin234@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I have a dual boot pc (linux and windows 2000). By default on start up
    > it selects linux and boots it, unless I physically change it into
    > windows during the specified time interval (8 seconds i guess). I want
    > to make windows the default os to be booted. how to achieve this
    > without reinstalling linux.

    All that's needed is for you to modify the grub.conf file. On my
    system (FC3), the file is in /boot/grub/grub.conf. You will have to
    be su to change it, and you should make a backup of the file just in
    case.
    Note that there's a "default= " line high up in the file. In my
    case, it's default=0 which means that the first listing in the
    "title" lines that follow (since the count begins from zero) is the
    one that will be booted as the default, and in my case that's the
    Fedora kernel.
    If I wanted to boot into Windows, I would change the default to a
    number that corresponds to the position in the list of the entry
    shown as Other (counting from zero).
    If you have only two "title" entries, one for Linux and one for
    Windows, just change the default to default=1, save the file, and
    you should automatically boot into Windows after you restart.
    HTH,

    -- Ron

  4. Re: change grub loader order

    in fc2 at least, there is a x grub editor. It's in the menu "system
    settings" or something.
    Poly-p man

+ Reply to Thread