Setup VNC in FC3 - Linux

This is a discussion on Setup VNC in FC3 - Linux ; Hello, I just installed FC3. I am trying to administer the server remotely through vnc. i started the vncserver service. i also downloaded and installed tightvnc. when i go and use "TightVNC Viewer (Fast Compression)" and enter ip_address:5901, i get ...

  1. Setup VNC in FC3

    Hello,

    I just installed FC3. I am trying to administer the server remotely
    through vnc. i started the vncserver service. i also downloaded and
    installed tightvnc. when i go and use "TightVNC Viewer (Fast
    Compression)" and enter ip_address:5901, i get unable to connect error.
    please let me know what i am doing wrong.

    thanks,

  2. Re: Setup VNC in FC3

    shashank3@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I just installed FC3. I am trying to administer the server remotely
    > through vnc. i started the vncserver service. i also downloaded and
    > installed tightvnc. when i go and use "TightVNC Viewer (Fast
    > Compression)" and enter ip_address:5901, i get unable to connect

    error.
    > please let me know what i am doing wrong.
    >
    > thanks,

    Are you using a home router and have not setup port forwarding??
    Can you ping the ip_address atleast?

    If ping is successful, check a couple of things first:
    a) Check if vncserver setting accepts only loopback access
    b) Check if iptables on FC3 is blocking access

    hth..

  3. Re: Setup VNC in FC3

    Are you aware that it's possible to tunnel your X session via SSH?

    I wrote a tutorial on how to do it on my blog:
    http://colinhorne.blogspot.com/2005/...-with-ssh.html

    It's not VNC, but it can be used to achieve a similar effect.

    Cheers
    --Colin Horne

  4. Re: Setup VNC in FC3

    i disabled firewall and i am using ip_address:1. it works now. thank
    you.

+ Reply to Thread