USB Switches - Linux

This is a discussion on USB Switches - Linux ; I need to share a multi-function USB printer (Epson R320) between a Win 2K box and a Linux (SuSE Pro 9.2) box. We had been using the QVS US2-401, "USB 2.0 Manual Share Switch", to share the printer between two ...

  1. USB Switches

    I need to share a multi-function USB printer (Epson R320)
    between a Win 2K box and a Linux (SuSE Pro 9.2) box.

    We had been using the QVS US2-401, "USB 2.0 Manual Share Switch",
    to share the printer between two Win 2K boxes; but that switch won't
    work with Linux because it relies on the Windows "Scroll Lock" key
    as the switching mechanism:
    Tap the "Scroll Lock" key twice and the QVC switch switches
    the USB printer connection from the other pc to your pc.
    No drivers had to be installed; so I guess the "Scroll Lock"
    key does some 'magic' as far as the Windows USB interface is
    concerned. I tried it (the "Scroll Lock" key) on Linux, but
    the QVC switch didn't respond.

    So, we need a hardware only (no device driver req'd) USB
    switch that uses pushbuttons on the switch itself (rather
    than Windows hotkeys) to switch the printer connection from
    one pc to another.

    IOGEAR has such a switch: the IOGEAR GUB401. The GUB401 has
    physical pushbuttons to switch the printer from pc to pc.
    It also has s/w for Windows that supports additional functionality
    (above and beyond connection switching). Their spec on the
    GUB401 says it works with Windows and Mac (the optional s/w is
    "Windows only").

    So, the questions are (before I waste any more money):

    1) Should the GUB401 also work with Linux (via it's onboard
    pushbutton)?

    2) Has anyone had any experience with the IOGEAR GUB401 switch
    and Linux.

    Refs:
    http://www.qvs.com/switch-usb.asp
    http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUB401

    Thanks & Regards,
    Larry

  2. Re: USB Switches

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 22:34:45 GMT
    Larry I Smith wrote:

    > I need to share a multi-function USB printer (Epson R320)
    > between a Win 2K box and a Linux (SuSE Pro 9.2) box.

    First of all, is this really necessary? If these boxes are connected via
    a network, simply share the printer. Or have you tried this?

    If they are *not* on a network, ignore this post . . . :-)

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.8-24.11-default
    10:44pm up 30 days 10:40, 12 users, load average: 0.06, 0.12, 0.09

  3. Re: USB Switches

    Kevin Nathan wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 22:34:45 GMT
    > Larry I Smith wrote:
    >
    >>I need to share a multi-function USB printer (Epson R320)
    >>between a Win 2K box and a Linux (SuSE Pro 9.2) box.

    > First of all, is this really necessary? If these boxes are connected via
    > a network, simply share the printer. Or have you tried this?
    >
    > If they are *not* on a network, ignore this post . . . :-)

    No network. Also, it's a multi-function printer, and many of
    those don't work correctly via the network (usually just the
    'printer part' works).

    Larry

  4. Re: USB Switches

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:40:05 GMT
    Larry I Smith wrote:

    > No network.

    I feared as much. Plus, you're right about multi-function problems; I
    guess I wasn't paying very good attention . . . :-)

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.8-24.11-default
    9:51pm up 31 days 9:47, 9 users, load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.03

  5. Re: USB Switches

    Larry I Smith wrote:
    > I need to share a multi-function USB printer (Epson R320)
    > between a Win 2K box and a Linux (SuSE Pro 9.2) box.
    >
    > We had been using the QVS US2-401, "USB 2.0 Manual Share Switch",
    > to share the printer between two Win 2K boxes; but that switch won't
    > work with Linux because it relies on the Windows "Scroll Lock" key
    > as the switching mechanism:
    > Tap the "Scroll Lock" key twice and the QVC switch switches
    > the USB printer connection from the other pc to your pc.
    > No drivers had to be installed; so I guess the "Scroll Lock"
    > key does some 'magic' as far as the Windows USB interface is
    > concerned. I tried it (the "Scroll Lock" key) on Linux, but
    > the QVC switch didn't respond.
    >
    > So, we need a hardware only (no device driver req'd) USB
    > switch that uses pushbuttons on the switch itself (rather
    > than Windows hotkeys) to switch the printer connection from
    > one pc to another.
    >
    > IOGEAR has such a switch: the IOGEAR GUB401. The GUB401 has
    > physical pushbuttons to switch the printer from pc to pc.
    > It also has s/w for Windows that supports additional functionality
    > (above and beyond connection switching). Their spec on the
    > GUB401 says it works with Windows and Mac (the optional s/w is
    > "Windows only").
    >
    > So, the questions are (before I waste any more money):
    >
    > 1) Should the GUB401 also work with Linux (via it's onboard
    > pushbutton)?
    >
    > 2) Has anyone had any experience with the IOGEAR GUB401 switch
    > and Linux.
    >
    > Refs:
    > http://www.qvs.com/switch-usb.asp
    > http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUB401
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    > Larry

    Just in case someone else has this question...

    I went ahead and bought the IOGEAR GUB401 USB Switch
    (for $60 USD).

    It DOES work flawlessly with Linux (SuSE Pro v9.2).

    Regards,
    Larry