How do I install SuSE Linux on a Maschine with SCSI Raid 2120S if I have only this controller working - Linux

This is a discussion on How do I install SuSE Linux on a Maschine with SCSI Raid 2120S if I have only this controller working - Linux ; Hi How do I install SuSE 9.1 if I only have a Raid 2120S controller working on this maschine? The standard SuSE System does not recognize this controller for installation. As I read in the newsgroups SuSE forgot to implement ...

  1. How do I install SuSE Linux on a Maschine with SCSI Raid 2120S if I have only this controller working

    Hi
    How do I install SuSE 9.1 if I only have a Raid 2120S controller working on
    this maschine?

    The standard SuSE System does not recognize this controller for
    installation.

    As I read in the newsgroups SuSE forgot to implement this controller into
    their installations Scripts but it should work as it is in the supported
    list of aacraid of SuSE.

    I even found an probably working rpm Module which should be installable
    called:

    aacraid_drv_linux_1.1.5-2371.rpm

    But this all works if you have an allready running system of SuSE 9.1.

    So this question is one of the sort of chicken or egg which do you need
    first ?

    Any help welcome
    regards
    Maximilian

  2. Re: How do I install SuSE Linux on a Maschine with SCSI Raid 2120S if I have only this controller working

    On 2005-03-07, max wrote:
    > Hi
    > How do I install SuSE 9.1 if I only have a Raid 2120S controller working on
    > this maschine?
    >
    > The standard SuSE System does not recognize this controller for
    > installation.
    >
    > As I read in the newsgroups SuSE forgot to implement this controller into
    > their installations Scripts but it should work as it is in the supported
    > list of aacraid of SuSE.
    >
    > I even found an probably working rpm Module which should be installable
    > called:
    >
    > aacraid_drv_linux_1.1.5-2371.rpm
    >
    > But this all works if you have an allready running system of SuSE 9.1.
    >
    > So this question is one of the sort of chicken or egg which do you need
    > first ?

    Not really. You can select "Manual installation" which allows you to add
    additional kernel modules. Select "aacraid" there and all should be
    fine. At this stage I think you can also switch to another virtual
    console and load the required drivers. Anyway, adding aacraid worked
    for me using 9.2.

    I'd have to warn against aacraid (I had a 2420s card) using the 2.6.x
    kernels though. My problem was horrible performance (1-2 MB/sec), and
    from browsing the net I think I can say I should have been happy it ran
    without crashes. I've removed the controller and SATA drives and added a
    conventioal PATA connected to the motherboard and now the machine is
    nice and fast again (using a tapedrive for backup) :-( Be warned!

    Cheers --- Jan

  3. Re: How do I install SuSE Linux on a Maschine with SCSI Raid 2120S if I have only this controller working

    In comp.os.linux.setup Jan Wielemaker :
    > On 2005-03-07, max wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> How do I install SuSE 9.1 if I only have a Raid 2120S controller working on
    >> this maschine?
    >>
    >> The standard SuSE System does not recognize this controller for
    >> installation.
    >>
    >> As I read in the newsgroups SuSE forgot to implement this controller into
    >> their installations Scripts but it should work as it is in the supported
    >> list of aacraid of SuSE.

    Works fine with the enterprise versions, intentional? I'd try if
    another distro, Debian (sarge) or whatever works better. Or and
    ask the suse support, you got some support with buying the
    distro, even if 9.2 is available.

    > Not really. You can select "Manual installation" which allows you to add
    > additional kernel modules. Select "aacraid" there and all should be
    > fine. At this stage I think you can also switch to another virtual
    > console and load the required drivers. Anyway, adding aacraid worked
    > for me using 9.2.

    > I'd have to warn against aacraid (I had a 2420s card) using the 2.6.x

    Sure? Never heard of this card, but have pretty good experience
    with adaptec aacraid cards 2010S and alike, 'aacli' is a nice
    tool to configure, after figuring out from the 'help' command how
    to use it.

    > kernels though. My problem was horrible performance (1-2 MB/sec), and
    > from browsing the net I think I can say I should have been happy it ran
    > without crashes.

    There must be some problem, depending on the attached disks,
    adaptec controller usually fly.

    #bofh excuse 82: Yeah, yo mama dresses you funny and you need
    a mouse to delete files.

  4. Re: How do I install SuSE Linux on a Maschine with SCSI Raid 2120S if I have only this controller working

    "Jan Wielemaker" wrote in message
    > On 2005-03-07, max wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> How do I install SuSE 9.1 if I only have a Raid 2120S controller working
    >> on
    >> this maschine?
    >>
    >> The standard SuSE System does not recognize this controller for
    >> installation.
    >>
    >> As I read in the newsgroups SuSE forgot to implement this controller into
    >> their installations Scripts but it should work as it is in the supported
    >> list of aacraid of SuSE.
    >>
    >> I even found an probably working rpm Module which should be installable
    >> called:
    >>
    >> aacraid_drv_linux_1.1.5-2371.rpm
    >>
    >> But this all works if you have an allready running system of SuSE 9.1.
    >>
    >> So this question is one of the sort of chicken or egg which do you need
    >> first ?

    > Not really. You can select "Manual installation" which allows you to add
    > additional kernel modules. Select "aacraid" there and all should be
    > fine. At this stage I think you can also switch to another virtual
    > console and load the required drivers. Anyway, adding aacraid worked
    > for me using 9.2.
    >
    > I'd have to warn against aacraid (I had a 2420s card) using the 2.6.x
    > kernels though. My problem was horrible performance (1-2 MB/sec), and
    > from browsing the net I think I can say I should have been happy it ran
    > without crashes. I've removed the controller and SATA drives and added a
    > conventioal PATA connected to the motherboard and now the machine is
    > nice and fast again (using a tapedrive for backup) :-( Be warned!

    Agreed. I'd also jump to SuSE 9.2 given any opportunity.

+ Reply to Thread