Flash drives? - Linux

This is a discussion on Flash drives? - Linux ; I recently received a nice little 64mb generic USB 2.0 flash drive. It works fine in my WinXP, but I have problems. First, my linux screws it up completely. As with my usb floppy drive, it goes to a bunch ...

  1. Flash drives?

    I recently received a nice little 64mb generic USB 2.0 flash drive. It
    works fine in my WinXP, but I have problems.

    First, my linux screws it up completely. As with my usb floppy drive,
    it goes to a bunch of crazy /dev/sd0,1,2,3,4 junk. What is with this?
    on another laptop, it works fine.

    Second, less oriented towards you, my win98 and 98SE computers are not
    supporting this at all. I plug it in, it asks for drivers, and it
    doesn't work. I tried sever online drivers, and none worked. Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    poly-poly man

  2. Re: Flash drives?

    Poly-poly Man wrote:
    > I recently received a nice little 64mb generic USB 2.0 flash drive.

    It
    > works fine in my WinXP, but I have problems.
    >
    > First, my linux screws it up completely. As with my usb floppy drive,
    > it goes to a bunch of crazy /dev/sd0,1,2,3,4 junk. What is with this?
    > on another laptop, it works fine.

    What do you mean by 'it goes to a bunch of crazy...', thats how linux
    works. You need to mount to one of those devices to a directory, e.g.
    as root make a directory in /mnt/ called flash then mount /dev/sd0
    /mount/flash (you might need to change sd0 until you find the right
    one, e.g. sd1, sda0 sda1). Once you've figured this out add it to
    /etc/fstab so you can mount it as a normal user.

    --
    Scott Bell
    http://www.scottbell.org/

  3. Re: Flash drives?

    Scott Bell wrote:
    > Poly-poly Man wrote:
    > > I recently received a nice little 64mb generic USB 2.0 flash drive.

    > It
    > > works fine in my WinXP, but I have problems.
    > >
    > > First, my linux screws it up completely. As with my usb floppy

    drive,
    > > it goes to a bunch of crazy /dev/sd0,1,2,3,4 junk. What is with

    this?
    > > on another laptop, it works fine.

    > What do you mean by 'it goes to a bunch of crazy...', thats how linux
    > works. You need to mount to one of those devices to a directory, e.g.
    > as root make a directory in /mnt/ called flash then mount /dev/sd0
    > /mount/flash (you might need to change sd0 until you find the right
    > one, e.g. sd1, sda0 sda1). Once you've figured this out add it to
    > /etc/fstab so you can mount it as a normal user.

    The drive comes out as /mnt/flash, and as /dev/sd0. when I try to open
    it though, it gives me an error about "incorrect superblocks". About
    the crazy junk, I was referring to Knoppix, which mounts the flash
    drive and my usb floppy as several /dev/sda's or sdb's. None of them,
    under knoppix, work.

    THanks,
    poly-p man

  4. Re: Flash drives?

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:58:50 -0800, Poly-poly Man wrote:

    > The drive comes out as /mnt/flash, and as /dev/sd0. when I try to open
    > it though, it gives me an error about "incorrect superblocks". About
    > the crazy junk, I was referring to Knoppix, which mounts the flash
    > drive and my usb floppy as several /dev/sda's or sdb's. None of them,
    > under knoppix, work.
    >
    > THanks,
    > poly-p man

    If you have not already done so, you might try making sure Linux knows the
    flash drive has a fat or vfat filesystem. Do "man mount" for details on
    the exact form of mount command to issue...

+ Reply to Thread