Hangup modem from another phone - Linux

This is a discussion on Hangup modem from another phone - Linux ; I'm looking for a way to cause my modem to hangup when a phone on the same line is picked up. Is this possible or is there something in /dev/ that I can monitor for this to work? TIA...

  1. Hangup modem from another phone

    I'm looking for a way to cause my modem to hangup when a phone on the
    same line is picked up. Is this possible or is there something in /dev/
    that I can monitor for this to work?

    TIA

  2. Re: Hangup modem from another phone

    J Smith wrote:

    > I'm looking for a way to cause my modem to hangup when a phone on the
    > same line is picked up. Is this possible or is there something in /dev/
    > that I can monitor for this to work?

    There's no way for the computer to know that another phone has been picked
    up. However, years ago, there were devices ("hold boxes"), which could be
    used to place a phone on hold, then would disconnect that phone, when
    another was picked up. That function is now built into many phones, so
    those boxes may be hard to find. You'd need some circuit, that recognizes
    the voltage drop, when another phone is picked up, and then disconnect the
    modem.

  3. Re: Hangup modem from another phone

    J Smith wrote:
    > I'm looking for a way to cause my modem to hangup when a phone on the
    > same line is picked up. Is this possible or is there something in /dev/
    > that I can monitor for this to work?
    >
    > TIA

    Just dial a digit and hold the button.. the tone cause the modem to
    stop receiving a clean signal and the modem will time out and disconnect
    after a short while.

    I did this for years before getting DSL

+ Reply to Thread