4 GB or only 3 GB of RAM. - Linux

This is a discussion on 4 GB or only 3 GB of RAM. - Linux ; Hi! I recently installed Slackware 10.1 with the 2.6.10 kernel on a 32-bit (Pentium 4) machine with 4 GB of RAM. The kernel is configured with high memory support (4 GB). When I take a look in /proc/meminfo (or run ...

  1. 4 GB or only 3 GB of RAM.

    Hi!

    I recently installed Slackware 10.1 with the 2.6.10 kernel on a 32-bit
    (Pentium 4) machine with 4 GB of RAM. The kernel is configured with
    high memory support (4 GB). When I take a look in /proc/meminfo (or run
    top), only (approximately) 3 GB is reported under Mem. I also
    configured the kernel with support for 64 GB of RAM but it didn't
    change anything. Is this normal behavior?

    Thanks in advance,
    Jonas

  2. Re: 4 GB or only 3 GB of RAM.

    Spake Jonas:
    > I recently installed Slackware 10.1 with the 2.6.10 kernel on a 32-bit
    > (Pentium 4) machine with 4 GB of RAM. The kernel is configured with
    > high memory support (4 GB). When I take a look in /proc/meminfo (or run
    > top), only (approximately) 3 GB is reported under Mem. I also
    > configured the kernel with support for 64 GB of RAM but it didn't
    > change anything. Is this normal behavior?

    I'm guessing wildly here...

    - BIOS settings?
    - Physical configuration (e.g. are chips all the same size)?

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    I'll probably just go into work next week and kill everyone.

  3. Re: 4 GB or only 3 GB of RAM.

    Jonas wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I recently installed Slackware 10.1 with the 2.6.10 kernel on a 32-bit
    > (Pentium 4) machine with 4 GB of RAM. The kernel is configured with
    > high memory support (4 GB). When I take a look in /proc/meminfo (or run
    > top), only (approximately) 3 GB is reported under Mem. I also
    > configured the kernel with support for 64 GB of RAM but it didn't
    > change anything. Is this normal behavior?

    Part of memory may be reserved to map PCI cards memory regions. Some BIOSes
    offer something like "Remap PCI memory gap" which effectively makes this
    memory available at addresses above 4GB, in which case you need PAE support
    (i.e. 64GB RAM support).

    =arvi=

  4. Re: 4 GB or only 3 GB of RAM.

    Hi!

    My motherboard is an Intel 925X and I saw in the manual to one of
    Intels motherboards that almost 1 GB is addressed by PCI Express. I
    can't find any setting in the bios remapping the memory gap (it's a
    Dell machine). Is there then any point in having 4 GB of RAM or is 3 GB
    the real maximum?

    Jonas

+ Reply to Thread