Find Linux OS Brand and Version - Linux

This is a discussion on Find Linux OS Brand and Version - Linux ; Given a Linux harddisk, how can I find out the brand and version of the Linux OS installed? Any readme or text file or any command I can use pls? Thanks....

  1. Find Linux OS Brand and Version

    Given a Linux harddisk, how can I find out the brand and version of the
    Linux OS installed?

    Any readme or text file or any command I can use pls?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Find Linux OS Brand and Version

    Klist Smith wrote in news:4227d8df_1
    @news.tm.net.my:

    > Given a Linux harddisk, how can I find out the brand and version of the
    > Linux OS installed?

    uname -a

    --
    ~Ohmster
    ohmster at newsguy dot com

  3. Re: Find Linux OS Brand and Version

    Ohmster wrote:
    > Klist Smith wrote in news:4227d8df_1
    > @news.tm.net.my:
    >
    >>Given a Linux harddisk, how can I find out the brand and version of the
    >>Linux OS installed?

    > uname -a

    I run SuSE Pro 9.2, and 'uname -a' displays this:

    Linux linux 2.6.8-24.11-default #1 Fri Jan 14 13:01:26 UTC 2005 i686
    i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    'SuSE 9.2' is not part of the info displayed by 'uname'.

    As far as I know, there's no fool proof way to determine
    the distro name and version without examining files in
    various directories. For example, if '/etc/SuSEconfig'
    exists, then we know it's SuSE, but we still don't know
    which version.

    Regards,
    Larry

  4. Re: Find Linux OS Brand and Version

    Larry I Smith wrote:
    > Ohmster wrote:
    >> Klist Smith wrote in news:4227d8df_1
    >> @news.tm.net.my:
    >>
    >>> Given a Linux harddisk, how can I find out the brand and version of the
    >>> Linux OS installed?

    >> uname -a
    >>

    > I run SuSE Pro 9.2, and 'uname -a' displays this:
    >
    > Linux linux 2.6.8-24.11-default #1 Fri Jan 14 13:01:26 UTC 2005 i686
    > i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    >
    > 'SuSE 9.2' is not part of the info displayed by 'uname'.
    >
    > As far as I know, there's no fool proof way to determine
    > the distro name and version without examining files in
    > various directories. For example, if '/etc/SuSEconfig'
    > exists, then we know it's SuSE, but we still don't know
    > which version.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Larry

    Some distros put a '*-release' or '*-version' file
    in /etc. Here are some examples:

    /etc/redhat-release
    /etc/debian_version
    /etc/SuSE-release
    /etc/slackware-version
    /etc/gentoo-release

    You could do 'cat /etc/*-release' or 'cat /etc/*-version'.

    You could create a script to be a ittle smarter about it...

    Regards,
    Larry

  5. Re: Find Linux OS Brand and Version

    [ Followup-To -> comp.os.linux.setup ]

    In comp.os.linux.setup Klist Smith :
    > Given a Linux harddisk, how can I find out the brand and version of the
    > Linux OS installed?

    > Any readme or text file or any command I can use pls?
    > Thanks.

    There's no guarantee, the most promising:

    cat /etc/*release

    #bofh excuse 2: solar flares

  6. Re: Find Linux OS Brand and Version

    Klist Smith wrote:
    > Given a Linux harddisk, how can I find out the brand and version of the
    > Linux OS installed?
    >
    > Any readme or text file or any command I can use pls?
    > Thanks.

    Try /etc/issue and /etc/isssue.net. That's how the system
    defines itself. But have in mind that it can be forged.

    Regards.

    --

    Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
    Director Tecnico de bgSEC

    like fabulous yellow Roman candles.
    -- Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

  7. Re: Find Linux OS Brand and Version

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:41:42 +0800, Klist Smith wrote:

    > Given a Linux harddisk, how can I find out the brand and version of the
    > Linux OS installed?

    If you're booting from the disk, then 'uname -a' should give the kernel
    version. Otherwise, check system logs under /var/log or /var/adm (if the
    two aren't linked) on the drive for boot messages, as I think the kernel
    always announces its version at startup and this should get logged.

    (/var/log/syslog probably, although I think Redhat sticks everything into
    /var/adm/messages from memory)

    Finding the distribution is more tricky, and I don't know of a standard
    way. Some distros will send root a welcome email when first installed,
    which may still be present - try /root/mbox on the drive. Other than that
    it's just a case of poking around on the disk to see what you can find I'm
    afraid.

    cheers

    Jules

  8. Re: Find Linux OS Brand and Version

    Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when Klist Smith wrote:
    > Given a Linux harddisk, how can I find out the brand and version of the
    > Linux OS installed?

    uname -a

    cbbrowne@wolfe:~> uname -a
    Linux wolfe 2.6.7 #3 Sun Jul 11 16:30:11 EDT 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

    That gives full information about which version of Linux is in use.
    --
    select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ntlug.org';
    http://linuxdatabases.info/info/rdbms.html

  9. Re: Find Linux OS Brand and Version

    In article , Larry I Smith wrote:
    >Larry I Smith wrote:

    >> As far as I know, there's no fool proof way to determine
    >> the distro name and version without examining files in
    >> various directories.

    True

    >Some distros put a '*-release' or '*-version' file in /etc.

    Actually, _most_ distributions to that now. If your distribution is
    compliant with the Linux Standard Base (http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/),
    it should also have a lsb_release command which can provide some clues.
    From the LSB-Core.txt

    lsb_release -- print distribution specific information

    If your distribution has that command, see the man page that comes
    with it.

    >You could create a script to be a ittle smarter about it...

    There was a system inventory tool released around 1996 that did this
    to identify distribution and release. I've _no_ idea what it was called,
    and scanning the ./system/ directories at sunsite doesn't show anything
    that rings a bell. The Post-Installation-Checklist mini-howto also fails
    to mention it.

    Old guy

  10. Re: Find Linux OS Brand and Version

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > In article , Larry I Smith wrote:
    >>Larry I Smith wrote:

    >>>As far as I know, there's no fool proof way to determine
    >>>the distro name and version without examining files in
    >>>various directories.

    > True
    >
    >>Some distros put a '*-release' or '*-version' file in /etc.

    > Actually, _most_ distributions to that now. If your distribution is
    > compliant with the Linux Standard Base (http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/),
    > it should also have a lsb_release command which can provide some clues.
    > From the LSB-Core.txt
    >
    > lsb_release -- print distribution specific information
    >
    > If your distribution has that command, see the man page that comes
    > with it.

    No 'lsb_release' found on SuSE Pro v9.2...

    >>You could create a script to be a ittle smarter about it...

    > There was a system inventory tool released around 1996 that did this
    > to identify distribution and release. I've _no_ idea what it was called,
    > and scanning the ./system/ directories at sunsite doesn't show anything
    > that rings a bell. The Post-Installation-Checklist mini-howto also fails
    > to mention it.
    >
    > Old guy

    Larry

  11. Re: Find Linux OS Brand and Version

    "Ohmster" wrote in message
    > Klist Smith wrote in news:4227d8df_1
    > @news.tm.net.my:
    >
    >> Given a Linux harddisk, how can I find out the brand and version of the
    >> Linux OS installed?

    > uname -a

    That's the kernel. You may also want "cat /etc/issue.net" or "cat
    /etc/*-release".

+ Reply to Thread