Ignorance on a basic India fact - Linux

This is a discussion on Ignorance on a basic India fact - Linux ; Ivan Marsh wrote: > You are simply wrong. No, you are wrong and won't admit it. > Well, appears you are wrong again: No, it appears you are wrong again. > # Columns are separated by a single tab. > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Ignorance on a basic India fact

  1. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > You are simply wrong.


    No, you are wrong and won't admit it.

    > Well, appears you are wrong again:


    No, it appears you are wrong again.

    > # Columns are separated by a single tab.
    > # The table is sorted first by country, then an order within the country that
    > # (1) makes some geographical sense, and
    > # (2) puts the most populous zones first, where that does not contradict (1).
    >
    > It's not inaccurate or erroneous.


    Um, where are you getting this from? Whose columns? Which table?


    > You mean crap like this:


    > According to this article here:
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/dev...9189593,00.htm
    >
    > "[Alan] Cox said that Torvalds does not always let people know when he
    > has fixed a security bug in the kernel."
    >
    > A bit like Microsoft! But seriously, this can't be a good situation.



    Yes, a reasonable comment in the circumstances, complete with
    attribution, followed up by a luser comment from someone who no doubt
    didn't read the article. I was after all quoting from Alan Cox. Quite
    the horse's mouth, one might say. So, not crap, just a comment, followed
    up by a goober like you.

    > Sorry, you lose, thanks for playing.


    No, you haven't answered the question. I can see your problem now: you
    are one of those extremely arrogant Linux lusers who do absolutely
    nothing for Linux or the community except whine when people ask you
    tricky questions.

    You don't like it when someone asks a reasonable question. You reply
    with nonsense along with other lusers.

    So, let's try again:

    If you think the responses, including yours, show the Linux community
    up in a good light, please explain how.

    If you don't answer this we may all assume that you have nothing
    relevent to say.

  2. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:56:16 +0000, Frem wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > No, it appears you are wrong again.
    >
    >> # Columns are separated by a single tab. # The table is sorted first by
    >> country, then an order within the country that # (1) makes some
    >> geographical sense, and # (2) puts the most populous zones first, where
    >> that does not contradict (1).
    >>
    >> It's not inaccurate or erroneous.

    >
    > Um, where are you getting this from? Whose columns? Which table?


    The timezones file from linux explaining why and how the timezones are
    selected.

    >> You mean crap like this:

    >
    >> According to this article here:
    >>
    >> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/dev...9189593,00.htm
    >>
    >> "[Alan] Cox said that Torvalds does not always let people know when he
    >> has fixed a security bug in the kernel."
    >>
    >> A bit like Microsoft! But seriously, this can't be a good situation.

    >
    > Yes, a reasonable comment in the circumstances, complete with
    > attribution, followed up by a luser comment from someone who no doubt
    > didn't read the article. I was after all quoting from Alan Cox. Quite
    > the horse's mouth, one might say. So, not crap, just a comment, followed
    > up by a goober like you.


    Once again comparing linux to Microsoft... how does that support the linux
    community? I should also point out that this thread and the current one is
    apparently the only contribution you've ever made in the linux groups.

    Oh, and amusingly enough, I did read the article, and I'm the luser that
    commented and ended your wintroll thread on this occasion also.

    >> Sorry, you lose, thanks for playing.

    >
    > No, you haven't answered the question. I can see your problem now: you
    > are one of those extremely arrogant Linux lusers who do absolutely
    > nothing for Linux or the community except whine when people ask you
    > tricky questions.
    >
    > You don't like it when someone asks a reasonable question. You reply
    > with nonsense along with other lusers.


    There has yet to be a question about linux posed beyond comparing it to
    Windows and whining about something irrelevant.

    > So, let's try again:
    >
    > If you think the responses, including yours, show the Linux community
    > up in a good light, please explain how.
    >
    > If you don't answer this we may all assume that you have nothing
    > relevent to say.


    Oh, is this a last word contest now?

    I think if you look at the archives for this group and the majority of
    other linux groups my contribution is obvious, positive and helpful...
    unless the poster in question begins their question by telling everyone
    why linux sucks because it's not like Windows.

    ....and, as I pointed out above, I think the, apparently, two threads
    you've been involved in are a good indication of your contribution...
    Neither of which helped anyone out with anything.

    Shall we continue?

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV


  3. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    In article <3a43d3ef.0503031201.4f610c4d@posting.google.com>, Nicholas wrote:

    >I'm surprised that the Linux OS keeps commiting the mistake of showing
    >Calcutta when selecting the time zone.


    Perhaps if you looked further into the problem, you would discover that
    this information comes from the time zone files (part of glibc), not from
    the distribution. If you then bothered to look at the Asian zone file,
    you would find:

    # @(#)asia 7.74

    # This data is by no means authoritative; if you think you know better,
    # go ahead and edit the file (and please send any changes to
    # tz@elsie.nci.nih.gov for general use in the future).

    >(Mandrake and Red Hat are the ones I've seen having this glaring error
    >so far)


    Perhaps the rather glaring error is in the extreme lack of knowledge of the
    accuser. Mandrake and Red Hat (and indeed most Unix clones not just Linux)
    use libc. It seems that you failed to do any research at all.

    >I would like to see all Linux versions switch over to either New Delhi or
    >a list of the largest Indian cities like in Windows.


    See above. As all of India seems to be on IST (+5:30) I'm not sure what
    adding such a list would do except to further bloat up the zone files.
    But I would suggest reading the extensive documentation that comes with
    the zone files before you make any more obvious gaffs.

    Old guy


  4. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > Shall we continue?


    .... who still hasn't answered the question. What a luser.


  5. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > The timezones file from linux explaining why and how the timezones are
    > selected.


    Which distro of Linux is that? There is no one "linux"...

    > Once again comparing linux to Microsoft... how does that support the linux
    > community? I should also point out that this thread and the current one is
    > apparently the only contribution you've ever made in the linux groups.


    Actually taking a quote from Alan Cox, and making a pertinent point. Yet
    I suppose you think the rubbish you have put in are "contributions".
    They are not.

    > Oh, and amusingly enough, I did read the article, and I'm the luser that
    > commented and ended your wintroll thread on this occasion also.


    Yes, showing you are a luser again. I'm not a wintroll, but you most
    definitely are a goober luser.

    > There has yet to be a question about linux posed beyond comparing it to
    > Windows and whining about something irrelevant.


    Stop trying to change the subject. The question is

    If you think the responses, including yours, show the Linux community
    up in a good light, please explain how.

    It's not a "word contest". It is a sensible question which you have
    singularly failed to answer. You have failed to answer because you
    actually have nothing useful to contribute. You are a luser, who thinks
    he knows something about Linux and as a result has become a
    self-righteous zealot! Your "contributions" haven't helped anyone, they
    just show you up to be a loser (along with your two fellow travellers)
    and show Linux and the community in a bad light. You and your two goober
    friends are thankfully not representitive of the community as a whole,
    thank God.

    > I think if you look at the archives for this group and the majority of
    > other linux groups my contribution is obvious, positive and helpful...
    > unless the poster in question begins their question by telling everyone
    > why linux sucks because it's not like Windows.


    Your contribution was certainly obvious, but it was not positive or helpful.

    > ...and, as I pointed out above, I think the, apparently, two threads
    > you've been involved in are a good indication of your contribution...
    > Neither of which helped anyone out with anything.


    And in this case, your contribution helped noone.

    > Shall we continue?


    I'm bored with this. I have you down now as a luser.

  6. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    Nicholas wrote:
    > I'm surprised that the Linux OS keeps commiting the mistake of

    showing
    > Calcutta when selecting the time zone. (Mandrake and Red Hat are the
    > ones I've seen having this glaring error so far) The Indian Standard
    > Time is calculated from Allahabad. Calcutta (now Kolkata) is neither
    > the capital of India nor the nation's largest city. I would like to
    > see all Linux versions switch over to either New Delhi or a list of
    > the largest Indian cities like in Windows.

    The cities used in TimeZones go all the way back to early BSD unix
    distros. I think they were taken from the major nodes in the air
    traffic radio beacon chains used for civil aviation in the 1970s.



    > I would also like to see Indian English (en-in) added to the list of
    > available languages.


    That is rather a big issue - but it can be done.
    The language codes are specified in ISO 639, the country codes in ISO
    3166.
    The creation of a new locale can be done for your own purposes, using
    one of the many tools for this purpose.
    (http://www.ez.no/ez_publish/document...ew_translation)

    I have looked in the localedata/MAINTAINERS file on my distro, and
    found the following entry:
    en_IN
    Author: Kentaroh Noji
    Author: Tetsuji Orita

    That made it worth looking at
    http://indlinux.org/downloads/locale/Locales/en_IN


  7. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    > I'm bored with this. I have you down now as a luser.

    Considering that luser was originally a contraction of linux and user.
    And that you are posting to comp.os.linux, it is implied that you too are
    luser. Aside from the post headers that say mozilla thunderbird under
    windows, which makes you a wintroll.

    S7

  8. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    Shadow_7 wrote:

    > windows, which makes you a wintroll.


    Actually it doesn't. It means I use Windows as well as Linux, which
    means your comment makes you an ignorant goober.

    > S7


  9. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:30:08 -0600, Ivan Marsh
    wrote:

    Ivan, killfile him and move on - you're wasting your time. I just did
    some basic research and "frem" is just another troll.


    Mike-

    --
    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.
    --

    Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed site-wide spam
    filters at catherders.com. If email from you bounces, try non-HTML, non-encoded,
    non-attachments.

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  10. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    I don't know why such there is so much unnecessary hot air being blown
    about on this topic. I know that Allahabad is not that well known
    internationally as Calcutta, but a compromise would be to have the
    entire list as [Indian Standard Time]. My grouse is that Calcutta is
    neither the capital nor the location where the time is calculated
    from. All I want is that the authors of future versions correct this
    anomaly because I'm sure some of them monitor the forums.

    I've been labelled an accuser and what not; but if I can't share my
    concerns on what is a genuine error, in what is a global colloboration
    in these forums; I'd be mighty dissapointed in the community here.

    Nicholas

  11. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    In article <3a43d3ef.0503051115.5b7900f6@posting.google.com>, Nicholas wrote:

    >I don't know why such there is so much unnecessary hot air being blown
    >about on this topic.


    Then perhaps you would have done better to choose less inflammatory
    words in your post.

    >I know that Allahabad is not that well known internationally as Calcutta,
    >but a compromise would be to have the entire list as [Indian Standard Time].


    While Allahabad is slightly nearer to the center of the country (Jabalpur
    might be a better choice if that were the criteria), what would make it
    a better choice than the more well know cities?

    >All I want is that the authors of future versions correct this
    >anomaly because I'm sure some of them monitor the forums.


    On the 15th of every month, an article is posted to the newsgroups
    news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and news.lists.misc with the subject
    "List of Big Eight Newsgroups". This article lists the 4771 standard
    groups that should be carried on every news server. This group is not one
    of them, and is thus only seen on servers that are misconfigured.

    As was pointed out to you, it is not a Linux problem, but a libc problem.
    Have you bothered to send your "correction" to the authors listed address?

    >I've been labelled an accuser and what not; but if I can't share my
    >concerns on what is a genuine error, in what is a global colloboration
    >in these forums; I'd be mighty dissapointed in the community here.


    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

    You are using a throw-away posting address, but I'd wager that you got it
    into a lot of killfiles. Perhaps you may learn from that.

    Old guy


  12. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > In article <3a43d3ef.0503051115.5b7900f6@posting.google.com>, Nicholas wrote:


    >
    > While Allahabad is slightly nearer to the center of the country (Jabalpur
    > might be a better choice if that were the criteria), what would make it
    > a better choice than the more well know cities?


    Because Indian time is measured from Allahabad. You have just once again
    highlighted the problem: you don't know what you are talking about, but
    there you are on your podium having a go at somebody who does know. If
    you really don't know, why don't you go and look it up?

    > Old guy


    Old fart, more like.


  13. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    Nicholas wrote:
    > All I want is that the authors of future versions correct this
    > anomaly because I'm sure some of them monitor the forums.

    I doubt it very much. They are too busy working on the systems - that
    is why there are separate mechanisms for contacting them. look at the
    man pages on your distribution for these.

    > I've been labelled an accuser and what not; but if I can't share my
    > concerns on what is a genuine error, in what is a global

    colloboration
    > in these forums; I'd be mighty dissapointed in the community here.


    These forums are very much 'secondary' - a milling assortment of users.
    They have no formal link with the development process.

    See my other posting for other remarks. You do raise an important
    point, the geopolitical awareness of the early californian programmers
    was not exceptional, and the world has changed much faster than the
    contents of TIMEZONE. This is a job for the ISO really, but someone
    would have to pay for it...


  14. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    robertharvey@my-deja.com wrote:

    > See my other posting for other remarks. You do raise an important
    > point, the geopolitical awareness of the early californian programmers
    > was not exceptional, and the world has changed much faster than the
    > contents of TIMEZONE.


    Yes, but Indian Standard Time was has been around since 1905...

    > This is a job for the ISO really, but someone
    > would have to pay for it...


    You're ducking the point.

  15. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 11:53:00 +0000, Frem wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> Shall we continue?

    >
    > ... who still hasn't answered the question. What a luser.


    I've answered your questions quite well and completely.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV


  16. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 11:15:33 -0800, Nicholas wrote:

    > I don't know why such there is so much unnecessary hot air being blown
    > about on this topic. I know that Allahabad is not that well known
    > internationally as Calcutta, but a compromise would be to have the
    > entire list as [Indian Standard Time]. My grouse is that Calcutta is
    > neither the capital nor the location where the time is calculated from.
    > All I want is that the authors of future versions correct this anomaly
    > because I'm sure some of them monitor the forums.
    >
    > I've been labelled an accuser and what not; but if I can't share my
    > concerns on what is a genuine error, in what is a global colloboration
    > in these forums; I'd be mighty dissapointed in the community here.
    >
    > Nicholas


    Assuming you aren't Frem...

    You haven't been accused of being anything... except maybe a nitpicker.

    What you're concerned with isn't an error, it's nationalism.

    Why do you care what city is shown in the timezone selector? It's an
    application you use once at install and the list is sorted by timezone not
    city. Do you search up and down the list looking for a city you know is in
    your timezone or look for your timezone?

    ....and like it's been suggested, you can very easily put in a feature
    request with the authors of the software.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV


  17. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    >
    > I've answered your questions quite well and completely.
    >


    Actually you didn't. Don't try and pretend you did.

  18. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > What you're concerned with isn't an error,


    Yes it is. Go and look up Indian Standard Time. You are still wrong. You
    always have been wrong and you show no signs of correcting yourself.



  19. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:20:35 +0000, Frem wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> What you're concerned with isn't an error,

    >
    > Yes it is. Go and look up Indian Standard Time. You are still wrong. You
    > always have been wrong and you show no signs of correcting yourself.


    You obviously don't understand logic:

    **** INDIAN STANDARD TIME! It has nothing to do with it.

    If the software designers intentions were met, and the guidelines they set
    for themselves were met then it CANNOT logically be an error.

    Stop being dumb.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV


  20. Re: Ignorance on a basic India fact

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > You obviously don't understand logic:
    >
    > **** INDIAN STANDARD TIME! It has nothing to do with it.


    Actually it has everything to do with it. Look at the subject of this
    post! And there is no need to shout. People who shout have the least to
    say, and in this particular case you really have nothing to say.

    > If the software designers intentions were met, and the guidelines they set
    > for themselves were met then it CANNOT logically be an error.


    If the guidelines are wrong, then they cannot possibly have been right,
    can they? I have no idea what guidelines the "software designers" were
    working to, and I suspect you don't either.

    To give you and analogy, as I know you like them(!), Pitcairn Island was
    mapped wrongly hundreds of years ago, which is why the Bounty mutineers
    managed to escape justice. The fact that the charts were all drawn up
    correctly from incorrect data did not make the charts correct. They were
    in fact all wrong.

    > Stop being dumb.


    You make a dumb response originally, then you follow it up with yet more
    dumbness.

    I have realised now that you are not merely being obtuse. You actually
    don't understand either Nicholas's post, the reason why he is right and
    you are wrong. This means you are in fact dumb.

    Let's leave it at that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast