spinning down hard disk - Linux

This is a discussion on spinning down hard disk - Linux ; Hi all, I was reading the book "Beginning Ubuntu Linux" by thomas keir. In this book there is a tip given to spin down the hard disk. the author says that it will help a lot in power savings. he ...

  1. spinning down hard disk

    Hi all,

    I was reading the book "Beginning Ubuntu Linux" by thomas keir. In
    this book there
    is a tip given to spin down the hard disk. the author says that it
    will help a lot in power savings.

    he gives the tip as follows

    all modern hard disks come with the ability to spin down their motors
    to save energy.Then,when data is requested,the motors spin up again.
    There may be a slight delay while this happens, and some people
    dislike using disk spin-down because of this. However on a notebook,
    it can lead to a substantial increase in battery life.On a desktop
    system ,it's worth considering.because over the lifetime of a
    computer, it can save a lot of electricity.

    on terminal type
    gksu gedit /etc/hdparm.conf

    spindown_time=24

    you can alter the value to anything you want.each time unit is 5
    seconds,so 24 equates to 120 seconds or 2 minutes

    when u are finished,save the file.

    Reboot for the settings to take effect

    Now question is how effective is this tip ???
    will it lead to substantial power savings?????

  2. Re: spinning down hard disk

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 04:32:52 +0000, sulekha wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I was reading the book "Beginning Ubuntu Linux" by thomas keir. In
    > this book there
    > is a tip given to spin down the hard disk. the author says that it
    > will help a lot in power savings.
    >
    > he gives the tip as follows
    >
    > all modern hard disks come with the ability to spin down their motors
    > to save energy.Then,when data is requested,the motors spin up again.
    > There may be a slight delay while this happens, and some people
    > dislike using disk spin-down because of this. However on a notebook,
    > it can lead to a substantial increase in battery life.On a desktop
    > system ,it's worth considering.because over the lifetime of a
    > computer, it can save a lot of electricity.
    >
    > on terminal type
    > gksu gedit /etc/hdparm.conf
    >
    > spindown_time=24
    >
    > you can alter the value to anything you want.each time unit is 5
    > seconds,so 24 equates to 120 seconds or 2 minutes
    >
    > when u are finished,save the file.
    >
    > Reboot for the settings to take effect
    >
    > Now question is how effective is this tip ???
    > will it lead to substantial power savings?????

    Why not try it and find out? Or ask in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, where you'll
    get answered by people who are using Ubuntu and know a lot about it.

    --
    Kier

  3. Re: spinning down hard disk

    sulekha :
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I was reading the book "Beginning Ubuntu Linux" by thomas keir. In
    > this book there
    > is a tip given to spin down the hard disk. the author says that it
    > will help a lot in power savings.
    >
    > he gives the tip as follows
    >
    > all modern hard disks come with the ability to spin down their motors
    > to save energy.Then,when data is requested,the motors spin up again.
    > There may be a slight delay while this happens, and some people
    > dislike using disk spin-down because of this. However on a notebook,
    > it can lead to a substantial increase in battery life.On a desktop
    > system ,it's worth considering.because over the lifetime of a
    > computer, it can save a lot of electricity.
    >
    > on terminal type
    > gksu gedit /etc/hdparm.conf
    >
    > spindown_time=24
    >
    > you can alter the value to anything you want.each time unit is 5
    > seconds,so 24 equates to 120 seconds or 2 minutes

    Yep. From the man page:

    -S

    Set the standby (spindown) timeout for the drive. This value
    is used by the drive to determine how long to wait (with no
    disk activity) before turning off the spindle motor to save
    power. Under such circumstances, the drive may take as long
    as 30 seconds to respond to a subsequent disk access, though
    most drives are much quicker. The encoding of the timeout
    value is somewhat peculiar. A value of zero means "timeouts
    are disabled": the device will not automatically enter standby
    mode. Values from 1 to 240 specify multiples of 5 seconds,
    yielding timeouts from 5 seconds to 20 minutes. Values from
    241 to 251 specify from 1 to 11 units of 30 minutes, yielding
    timeouts from 30 minutes to 5.5 hours. A value of 252 signi-
    fies a timeout of 21 minutes. A value of 253 sets a vendor-
    defined timeout period between 8 and 12 hours, and the value
    254 is reserved. 255 is interpreted as 21 minutes plus 15
    seconds. Note that some older drives may have very different
    interpretations of these values.

    so the command:

    # hdparm -S 24 /dev/[hs]d[abcd]

    will set the spindown for those drives to two minutes or whatever.
    Ubuntu probably has the file /etc/hdparm.conf for reference by startup
    scripts. Slackware doesn't use that so I can't confim that it'll work
    for you.

    > when u are finished,save the file.
    >
    > Reboot for the settings to take effect
    >
    > Now question is how effective is this tip ???
    > will it lead to substantial power savings?????

    It could. For example I have four HDs on my machine, only two of which I
    access frequently. It'd probably ba a Good Thing to spin down the ones I
    dont use.

    --
    You LIVE in that head?

    http://www.websterscafe.com