New network card - Linux

This is a discussion on New network card - Linux ; hi all, I am running a suse 9.2 box with a built in network card. it has been running great for two months or so. well i installed a new PCI nic in the machine. it comes up ok, but ...

  1. New network card

    hi all,

    I am running a suse 9.2 box with a built in network card. it has been
    running great for two months or so. well i installed a new PCI nic in
    the machine. it comes up ok, but when i get to the login prompt, i log
    in and it takes forever to get to the prompt, when it does it says
    this:

    mwilkes@(none):~>

    where as before, the (none) was the hostname obviously. I have set the
    hostname several times and every time i reboot, it states none again.
    this only happened after i installed the new nic. is this a common
    thing? i have never seen this happen. i did get the new nic installed
    and working, but this bothers me. any thoughts??

    TIA,

  2. Re: New network card

    >where as before, the (none) was the hostname obviously

    $ echo "hostname" >> /etc/hostname

    --
    Jamie

  3. Re: New network card

    that doesnt make it stick after reboot. i am pretty familiar with
    linux, but i have never seen this.

  4. Re: New network card

    >that doesnt make it stick after reboot
    Is the hostname also set in the /etc/sysconfig/network ?

    --
    Jamie

  5. Re: New network card

    rhltechie@gmail.com wrote in message news:<1109776620.533667.262540@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>...
    > I have set the
    > hostname several times and every time i reboot, it states none again.

    How are you changing the hostname? Suse has a series of
    meta-configuration files handled by YAST (set network card) , and some
    of these take precidence over the old-established BSD style files in
    /etc/ or things like the hostname command. Have a look in
    /etc/sysconfig/network for a start.

    Don't forget that some DHCP servers try and set your hostname, and
    there is a swtich in Yast to specify whether you want to allow this.

+ Reply to Thread