su don't give me ANY priviliges - Linux

This is a discussion on su don't give me ANY priviliges - Linux ; Hi all, I'm relatively new in Linux... I installed RedHat Enterprise Edition (AS3.0). Everything is working properly when I log in as root. however, if i login (in SSH) as user (ex. alpha) and i do "su", i enter the ...

  1. su don't give me ANY priviliges

    Hi all,
    I'm relatively new in Linux... I installed RedHat Enterprise Edition
    (AS3.0). Everything is working properly when I log in as root. however,

    if i login (in SSH) as user (ex. alpha) and i do "su", i enter the root

    password, the prompt changes to [root@hostname /] but i can't perform
    any commands (not even ifconfig !!!!)

    can anyone assist me with this problem,
    thanks a lot

    Ze Man

  2. Re: su don't give me ANY priviliges

    Dear Ze,

    try typing "su -" and give the password after u login

    venkat

  3. Re: su don't give me ANY priviliges

    >password, the prompt changes to [root@hostname /] but i can't perform
    >any commands (not even ifconfig !!!!)

    More than likely the problem has to do with your path not updating.
    Try typing :

    $ source /etc/profile

    This will update your path with the correct locations of the binaries.

    Hope this helps

    --
    Jamie

  4. Re: su don't give me ANY priviliges

    [snip]
    >try typing "su -" and give the password after u login

    His prompt changed. His password was correct.

    --
    Jamie

  5. Re: su don't give me ANY priviliges

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 06:32:22 -0800, jamiethacker wrote:

    > [snip]
    >>try typing "su -" and give the password after u login

    > His prompt changed. His password was correct.

    Yes, but his problem is probably that he doesn't have root's
    environment/path/etc... which is why, I'm guessing, he thinks the
    commands aren't available.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

  6. Re: su don't give me ANY priviliges

    >probably that he doesn't have root's environment/path/etc...
    Which is why is suggested that he source /etc/profile. He will have to
    do that anyway to get the apps that are in root's path....ie /sbin/

    --
    Jamie

  7. Re: su don't give me ANY priviliges

    jamie@nospam.com wrote:
    >>probably that he doesn't have root's environment/path/etc...

    > Which is why is suggested that he source /etc/profile. He will have to
    > do that anyway to get the apps that are in root's path....ie /sbin/

    If he use the "-" it will give him root's environment which
    includes its paths.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

  8. Re: su don't give me ANY priviliges

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:55:00 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > jamie@nospam.com wrote:
    >>>probably that he doesn't have root's environment/path/etc...

    >> Which is why is suggested that he source /etc/profile. He will have to
    >> do that anyway to get the apps that are in root's path....ie /sbin/
    >>

    > If he use the "-" it will give him root's environment which
    > includes its paths.

    Yes. You don't have to do anything to /etc/profile.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

+ Reply to Thread