qmail rounting through isp - Linux

This is a discussion on qmail rounting through isp - Linux ; I need to route qmail messages through my ISP Can anyone let me know where I would put my ISP's IP address for their mail server Thanks...

  1. qmail rounting through isp

    I need to route qmail messages through my ISP

    Can anyone let me know where I would put my ISP's IP address for their
    mail server

    Thanks

  2. Re: qmail rounting through isp

    >I need to route qmail messages through my ISP
    Why? qmail is a MTA...Mail Transfer Agent. If you have your DNS setup
    correctly, and the network working, it will mail all by itself. One
    problem that you will run into though, is that more than likely you
    have a dynamic address from your ISP. Most internet mail servers will
    automatically block addresses from the dynamic pool. (Your outbound
    mail will get dropped at the door by them.)

    --
    Jamie

  3. Re: qmail rounting through isp

    Jacco wrote:
    > I need to route qmail messages through my ISP
    >
    > Can anyone let me know where I would put my ISP's IP address for their
    > mail server
    >
    > Thanks

    The paragraph below is taken from
    http://www.mail-abuse.com/an_rteoutgoing.html

    Qmail takes explicit routes from the file /var/qmail/control/smtproutes.
    If your ISP's mail host is smtp.yourisp.net, put in it a line containing

    :smtp.yourisp.net

    (The part before the colon is the domain to route through that server,
    with nothing before the colon meaning to make it the default.)

    You may also want to put your ISP's domain name into
    /var/qmail/control/defaulthost so that name appears as the domain part
    of From: and envelope "mail from" addresses. The defaulthost setting
    lets you work with mail servers that permit relay based on domain name.
    You can also control the outgoing domain with environment variables, see
    the man page for qmail-inject.

    Courtesy of John Levine. See http://www.qmail.org/ for more resources.

+ Reply to Thread