Xprint - How do I configure X to print to an HP Laserjet 4 ? - Linux

This is a discussion on Xprint - How do I configure X to print to an HP Laserjet 4 ? - Linux ; I wish to configure X to print to my HP Laserjet 4. I am using X11 and I have installed the Debian package xprt-xprint. My printer works from the console using lpr, eg: $ echo hello|lpr -Plucy This produces output ...

  1. Xprint - How do I configure X to print to an HP Laserjet 4 ?

    I wish to configure X to print to my HP Laserjet 4.

    I am using X11 and I have installed the Debian package xprt-xprint.

    My printer works from the console using lpr, eg:

    $ echo hello|lpr -Plucy

    This produces output on my lazer printer, which appears when the form feed is
    pressed.

    My questions are as follows:

    How do I tell X that "lucy" is the printer that I want it to print to ?

    How do I tell X that the printer is an HP Laserjet 4 and therefore requires HP
    Laserjet control codes ?

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 422 6580

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  2. Re: Xprint - How do I configure X to print to an HP Laserjet 4 ?

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > I wish to configure X to print to my HP Laserjet 4.
    >
    > I am using X11 and I have installed the Debian package xprt-xprint.
    >
    > My printer works from the console using lpr, eg:
    >
    > $ echo hello|lpr -Plucy
    >
    > This produces output on my lazer printer, which appears when the form feed is
    > pressed.
    >
    > My questions are as follows:
    >
    > How do I tell X that "lucy" is the printer that I want it to print to ?
    >
    > How do I tell X that the printer is an HP Laserjet 4 and therefore requires HP
    > Laserjet control codes ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    I have experienced nothing but problems from xprnt. Try removing xprnt
    all together and using cups. You can always reinstall the xprint
    package. I think (but i'm not sure) that cups is becoming the standard
    method for printing on linux.

  3. Re: Xprint - How do I configure X to print to an HP Laserjet 4 ?

    yes, it's becoming standard.
    distros like fedora (and redhat) and suse are using cups for printing.
    cups is very flexible and includes a web admin interface
    (127.0.0.1:something)

  4. Re: Xprint - How do I configure X to print to an HP Laserjet 4 ?

    In alt.comp.linux Jake Nelson wrote:

    > I have experienced nothing but problems from xprnt. Try removing xprnt
    > all together and using cups. You can always reinstall the xprint
    > package. I think (but i'm not sure) that cups is becoming the standard
    > method for printing on linux.

    Yeah, I've used CUPS in the past. I don't like that package though. I want to
    use Xprint.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 422 6580

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  5. Re: Xprint - How do I configure X to print to an HP Laserjet 4 ?

    In alt.comp.linux Mark Hobley wrote:
    > My printer works from the console using lpr, eg:
    >
    > $ echo hello|lpr -Plucy
    >
    > How do I tell X that "lucy" is the printer that I want it to print to ?

    $ xplsprinters
    printer: lp@:64
    printer: xp_ps_spooldir_HOME_Xprintjobs@:64
    printer: xp_pdf_spooldir_HOME_Xprintjobs@:64

    There is no mention of "lucy" how do I add "lucy" to the list of printers ?

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 422 6580

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  6. Re: Xprint - How do I configure X to print to an HP Laserjet 4 ?

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > I wish to configure X to print to my HP Laserjet 4.
    >
    > I am using X11 and I have installed the Debian package xprt-xprint.
    >
    > My printer works from the console using lpr, eg:
    >
    > $ echo hello|lpr -Plucy
    >
    > This produces output on my lazer printer, which appears when the form feed is
    > pressed.
    >
    > My questions are as follows:
    >
    > How do I tell X that "lucy" is the printer that I want it to print to ?
    >
    > How do I tell X that the printer is an HP Laserjet 4 and therefore requires HP
    > Laserjet control codes ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    The question should be: how do I avoid asking this questions in n NG's,
    where n > 1

  7. Re: Xprint - How do I configure X to print to an HP Laserjet 4 ?

    hyperfusion wrote:
    > yes, it's becoming standard.
    > distros like fedora (and redhat) and suse are using cups for printing.
    > cups is very flexible and includes a web admin interface
    > (127.0.0.1:something)

    it's localhost:631/printers

    And /etc/cups/cupsd.conf can be changed to allow remote admin,
    and also AuthType Basic , AuthClass Group , AuthGroupName
    so you don't need to use generate md5sum passwords for access.

    I love cups and IPP, it just rock, all my problems with it in the past is forgotten.

    RIP, all my Lexmarks printers that only worked limited with buggy drivers for lprng :-(

    LL to my Epson photo printer that work perfectly with cups :-)

    And cups will rock your HP lj4 so you will forget the linux printing problems from the past.

    /bb

  8. Re: Xprint - How do I configure X to print to an HP Laserjet 4 ?

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > In alt.comp.linux Jake Nelson wrote:
    >
    >>I have experienced nothing but problems from xprnt. Try removing xprnt
    >>all together and using cups. You can always reinstall the xprint
    >>package. I think (but i'm not sure) that cups is becoming the standard
    >>method for printing on linux.

    > Yeah, I've used CUPS in the past. I don't like that package though. I want to
    > use Xprint.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    CUPS was a big mess some years ago, try it now and notice the difference.

    As a SuSE user, I had to wait until 9.2 before it worked with my printers.

    /bb

  9. Re: Xprint - How do I configure X to print to an HP Laserjet 4 ?

    In alt.comp.linux Mark Hobley wrote:

    >> How do I tell X that "lucy" is the printer that I want it to print to ?

    > $ xplsprinters
    > printer: lp@:64
    > printer: xp_ps_spooldir_HOME_Xprintjobs@:64
    > printer: xp_pdf_spooldir_HOME_Xprintjobs@:64
    >
    > There is no mention of "lucy" how do I add "lucy" to the list of printers ?

    I have managed to fix this bit:

    $ su root
    # /etc/init.d/xprint restart
    # exit
    $ xplsprinters

    printer: samantha@:64
    printer: lucy@:64
    printer: xp_ps_spooldir_HOME_Xprintjobs@:64
    printer: xp_pdf_spooldir_HOME_Xprintjobs@:64

    I don't know what the @:64 bit means though, but hey, I can send data to the
    printer, albeit incorrect.

    >> How do I tell X that the printer is an HP Laserjet 4 and therefore requires HP
    >> Laserjet control codes ?

    I'm still stuck on this bit. I send a print job to lucy. I get a document that
    begins:

    %!PS-Adobe-3.0
    %%Creator: T X Print Server's Postscript DDX (xprint.mozdev.or

    I guess that the system thinks that my printer uses Postscript control codes.
    I need to configure the system that my printer is an HP Laserjet 4, and thus
    requires HP Laserjet 4 control codes.

    How do I do this ?

    $ cd /etc/Xprint/C/print
    $ tree
    |-- Xprinters
    |-- attributes
    | |-- document
    | |-- job
    | `-- printer
    `-- ddx-config
    `-- raster
    |-- pcl
    `-- postscript

    Hmmm ...

    $ cd attributes
    $ cat printer

    # USUALLY SET BY THE model-config FILE
    # All lines in this file begine with a hash
    # I don't know what the hell to do with this stuff
    #

    $ model-config
    bash: model-config: command not found

    What do I do next ?