help! newbie just installed debian woody and can't get xwindows torun! - Linux

This is a discussion on help! newbie just installed debian woody and can't get xwindows torun! - Linux ; i've just installed debian woody on my machine and the os runs fine. i used the apt software to catalog the 9 dist cd's i've got and then used tasksel to install several groups, including the graphical desktop stuff. but ...

  1. help! newbie just installed debian woody and can't get xwindows torun!

    i've just installed debian woody on my machine and the os runs fine. i
    used the apt software to catalog the 9 dist cd's i've got and then used
    tasksel to install several groups, including the graphical desktop
    stuff. but it won't even start. when i type startx, i get

    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file or
    directory
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xerverrc: exec: /usr/bin/X11/X: cannot
    execute: No such file or directory"

    i'm lost and can't find anything online to help with this. i tried
    running the XF86config program and was asked lots of setting questions
    about my video card, but it still didn't solve my directory problems.
    any advice??

    Thx.
    -mark

  2. Re: help! newbie just installed debian woody and can't get xwindows to run!

    looks like apt-get didn't install correctly.
    what did you type in to install X?

  3. Re: help! newbie just installed debian woody and can't get xwindowsto run!

    hyperfusion wrote:
    > looks like apt-get didn't install correctly.
    > what did you type in to install X?

    I didn't use apt-get to install x. i thought that tasksel installed it
    but it turns out tasksel just install kde and gnome, but not the xserver
    system. i've got it running now by installing x with apt-get. i'm
    learning....

    thanks for your help,
    -mark