Problem with GCC 3.4.3 and libgcj - Linux

This is a discussion on Problem with GCC 3.4.3 and libgcj - Linux ; Hello, I am working with a host / target machine setup. The cpu arch is the same on both, x86_64 (athlon64), the only real difference is size, ie. my host has a 80GB HD, my targets have 1GB compact flash ...

  1. Problem with GCC 3.4.3 and libgcj

    Hello,

    I am working with a host / target machine setup. The cpu arch is the
    same on both, x86_64 (athlon64), the only real difference is size, ie.
    my host has a 80GB HD, my targets have 1GB compact flash disks (need
    this for mechanical vibration reasons). I have CentOS 3.4-x86_64 fully
    installed on my host, and my target machines have the same OS just with
    a much smaller package list.

    I am trying to get GCC 3.4.3 compiled into a relatively small footprint
    (< 200 Mb), so I can use it on my targets. I only want c, c++ and java
    installed. I downloaded the gcc-core .tar and ran the make and make
    install on that and successfully installed it on my target machine,
    taking up approximately 40MB. When I build the core along with c++ and
    java, my libraries such as libgcj.a come out to be over 100MB! Compared
    to a 20MB libgcj on my Fedora 3 machines.

    I've tried compiling with different explicit options such as:
    --enable-shared, --disable-static, --with-arch=athlon64, and a whole
    bunch of others. Nothing I've tried gets the size of the libgcj.a file
    down, nor the other big libraries. Any help or insight would be greatly
    appreciatied. Thanks.

    --
    Daniel A. Kent
    Graduate Research Assistant

  2. Re: Problem with GCC 3.4.3 and libgcj

    you said that libgcj on your fc3 was 20mb. however, your 100mb gcc-core
    had c++ with it (i understand that the stl can get really big).

    also, are you sure that you didn't enable other libraries (ada, f77,
    etc.)?

+ Reply to Thread