Problems with kernel source RPM for Fedora C3 - Linux

This is a discussion on Problems with kernel source RPM for Fedora C3 - Linux ; Hello, Is there a problem with the kernel source rpm? I've downloaded it (file name is kernel-2.6.9-1.667.src.rpm) and installing it appears to work, but no source code in unpacked anywhere. When doing rpm -qa | grep kernel it doesn't show ...

  1. Problems with kernel source RPM for Fedora C3

    Hello,

    Is there a problem with the kernel source rpm? I've downloaded it (file
    name is kernel-2.6.9-1.667.src.rpm) and installing it appears to work,
    but no source code in unpacked anywhere. When doing rpm -qa | grep
    kernel it doesn't show the source rpm as being installed.

    I decided to open the file using gvim and noticed that in the header it
    appears to have the same name as the kernel rpm (i.e.
    kernel-2.6.9-1.667). Is there a problem with this rpm? I downloaded
    the sources for the AMD-64 port. Incidentally, I have a box at work
    that runs FC-3 on i386 and I had the same problem when trying to install
    this package at work.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Andy

  2. Re: Problems with kernel source RPM for Fedora C3

    On 2005-02-27, Andrew Falanga wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is there a problem with the kernel source rpm? I've downloaded it (file
    > name is kernel-2.6.9-1.667.src.rpm) and installing it appears to work,
    > but no source code in unpacked anywhere. When doing rpm -qa | grep
    > kernel it doesn't show the source rpm as being installed.

    Source RPMs are different from others.

    You will not find it in the database of installed packages (no executable
    package was installed).

    What you should find is the source code in

    /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

    and the *.spec file in

    /usr/src/redhat/SPECS

    You can rebuild the binary package by

    cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS

    and

    rpmbuild -bb [spec.file.name]

    (as root)

    and find the binary RPMs in

    /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/[varies]

    (e.g. [varies] will probably be i386)

    If you installed THOSE rpms (in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/[varies])
    they will show up in the data base of installed RPMs.

    There is an RPM (NOT src.rpm) for kernel-source which can be used
    to install the kernel source code (configured and set up for your
    kernel) instead of using the src.rpm.

    An advantage of using the src rpm is when you have changed something
    (a library, etc.) on your system and the package could compile and
    install but the binary rpm is configured to DEMAND certain versions
    of libraries. In that case you may be able to get away with rebuilding
    the binary RPMs or may actually have to install manually from source
    (not a binary RPM).

    Using Fedora Core 2, I have built the xorg-x11-6.8.2-1 src rpm
    (from the fedora development site) and installed it and have a
    more recent version of X running than do most Core 3 users!

    If you have problems (something does not work) in building the
    binary rpm, be sure to clean out the /var/tmp directory (which
    is used in compiling the source code) or it will take up a lot
    of space. Also, after building, clean out the /usr/src/redhat
    tree (especially /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/ which will take up
    a LOT of space).

    I usually backup (burn to CD) the *src.rpm I downloaded (in case
    I have to rebuild) as well as the binary RPMs I created (in case
    I don't have to rebuild but want to reinstall).

  3. Re: Problems with kernel source RPM for Fedora C3

    On 2005-02-27, Spamless wrote:

    > An advantage of using the src rpm is when you have changed something
    > (a library, etc.) on your system and the package could compile and
    > install but the binary rpm is configured to DEMAND certain versions
    > of libraries. In that case you may be able to get away with rebuilding
    > the binary RPMs or may actually have to install manually from source
    > (not a binary RPM).

    Another advantage is to be able to update using RPMs for packages
    which provide spec files. E.g. gqview 2 just came out.
    I got the *tar.gz file (they have a FC3 rpm but I don't want even
    to try using that on FC2). That contains a *spec file.
    Putting the *spec fild in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS and the *tar.gz
    file in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES, I can build the binary RPM and
    install.

    Of course if a spec file is not available then it may be a
    matter of ./configure && make && make install

  4. Re: Problems with kernel source RPM for Fedora C3

    Andrew Falanga wrote:

    > Is there a problem with the kernel source rpm?

    I believe that the whole kernel source situation in linux has changed
    recently. If it works then it must have unpacked the source and it is
    probably in the new location:
    /lib/modules/2.6.9-xyz/source although that may be a symlnk to build in the
    same place.

    I dont think it is any longer placed in /usr/src/linux although either
    location can be THE location and symlnked to the other.

    andrew k

  5. Re: Problems with kernel source RPM for Fedora C3

    Andrew Falanga wrote:
    > Is there a problem with the kernel source rpm?

    No.

    > I've downloaded it
    > (file name is kernel-2.6.9-1.667.src.rpm) and installing it appears to
    > work,
    > but no source code in unpacked anywhere.

    Read the Release Notes for Fedora Core 3, either in
    file:/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3/RELEASE-NOTES-x86-en.html or
    http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  6. Re: Problems with kernel source RPM for Fedora C3

    Markku Kolkka wrote:
    > Andrew Falanga wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a problem with the kernel source rpm?

    > No.
    >

    >>I've downloaded it
    >>(file name is kernel-2.6.9-1.667.src.rpm) and installing it appears to
    >>work,
    >>but no source code in unpacked anywhere.

    > Read the Release Notes for Fedora Core 3, either in
    > file:/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3/RELEASE-NOTES-x86-en.html or
    > http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/

    Thank you. If memory serves, simply installing the src.rpm file in FC-2
    was sufficient. In any event, this process seems ok. However, while
    following the instructions in the release notes you pointed me to
    (thanks by the way) I now get this error when I try to do 'make xconfig':

    [root@localhost linux-2.6.9]# make xconfig
    HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/qconf
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lqt
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/qconf] Error 1
    make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

    What's up with this?

    Andy

  7. Re: Problems with kernel source RPM for Fedora C3

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:52:19 -0700 Andrew Falanga wrote:

    > Thank you. If memory serves, simply installing the src.rpm file in FC-2
    > was sufficient. In any event, this process seems ok. However, while

    No, up to FC2 there was a kernel-sourcecode RPM available.

    > following the instructions in the release notes you pointed me to
    > (thanks by the way) I now get this error when I try to do 'make xconfig':
    >
    > [root@localhost linux-2.6.9]# make xconfig
    > HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/qconf
    > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lqt
    > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    > make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/qconf] Error 1
    > make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
    >

    > What's up with this?

    yum install qt-devel

    > Andy

    Alexander

    Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.14_FC2smp
    Serendipity 18:16:57 up 6 days, 5:25, load average: 0.13, 0.30, 0.46

  8. Re: Problems with kernel source RPM for Fedora C3

    Alexander Dalloz wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:52:19 -0700 Andrew Falanga wrote:
    >

    >>Thank you. If memory serves, simply installing the src.rpm file in FC-2
    >>was sufficient. In any event, this process seems ok. However, while

    > No, up to FC2 there was a kernel-sourcecode RPM available.
    >

    >>following the instructions in the release notes you pointed me to
    >>(thanks by the way) I now get this error when I try to do 'make xconfig':
    >>
    >>[root@localhost linux-2.6.9]# make xconfig
    >> HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/qconf
    >>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lqt
    >>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    >>make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/qconf] Error 1
    >>make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
    >>

    >>What's up with this?

    > yum install qt-devel

    When I installed FC-3 I installed everything. I figured QT was
    installed with that.

    On a different note, I used make menuconfig and found the ntfs stuff to
    compile as a module. I did this and did make modules_install.
    Apparently I'm still missing something because when I tried to do mount
    -t ntfs /dev/hda3 /mnt I still get ntfs not supported by kernel. Do I
    actually have to compile a new kernel even though all I'm trying to do
    is make a new module?

    Andy

  9. Re: Problems with kernel source RPM for Fedora C3

    Andrew Falanga wrote:

    > On a different note, I used make menuconfig and found the ntfs stuff
    > compile as a module. I did this and did make modules_install.
    > Apparently I'm still missing something because when I tried to do
    > mount
    > -t ntfs /dev/hda3 /mnt I still get ntfs not supported by kernel. Do I
    > actually have to compile a new kernel even though all I'm trying to do
    > is make a new module?

    Check your /lib/modules//kernel/fs/ntfs directory for
    the file ntfs.ko, if you don't have one then try again or visit;

    http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora3.html

  10. Re: Problems with kernel source RPM for Fedora C3

    On 2005-02-27, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:52:19 -0700 Andrew Falanga wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you. If memory serves, simply installing the src.rpm file in FC-2
    >> was sufficient. In any event, this process seems ok. However, while

    > No, up to FC2 there was a kernel-sourcecode RPM available.
    >
    >> following the instructions in the release notes you pointed me to
    >> (thanks by the way) I now get this error when I try to do 'make xconfig':
    >>
    >> [root@localhost linux-2.6.9]# make xconfig
    >> HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/qconf
    >> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lqt
    >> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    >> make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/qconf] Error 1
    >> make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
    >>

    >> What's up with this?

    > yum install qt-devel
    >
    >> Andy

    > Alexander

    Or try

    make menuconfig

    or even

    make config

    (the latter is a plain text version, straight through,
    no backing up to edit prior entries)

+ Reply to Thread