Networking Windows? - Linux

This is a discussion on Networking Windows? - Linux ; I was just doing a small networking job for a friend, when they said they wanted to access the internet from a laptop running FC2/WINXPhome (while in FC), through a computer running WIN98FE's modem (56k). So I got windows to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Networking Windows?

  1. Networking Windows?

    I was just doing a small networking job for a friend, when they said
    they wanted to access the internet from a laptop running FC2/WINXPhome
    (while in FC), through a computer running WIN98FE's modem (56k). So I
    got windows to windows working. It worked perfectly; transferring huge
    files quickly. So I got to Linux to do anything, and not much happened.
    The eth0, which I made sure had the right hardware/software settings,
    could not read the IP address. I quickly looked up on the i-net, and
    found several different people with similar problems. I tryed every
    amb-related thing and everything cifs, and none of it worked. Please
    help me, it makes me look silly!
    Thanks ahead,
    Poly-poly man


  2. Re: Networking Windows?

    pyrophobicman@gmail.com wrote:
    > I was just doing a small networking job for a friend
    > The eth0, which I made sure had the right hardware/software settings,
    > could not read the IP address.


    I am not sure what exactly you are trying to do.

    The first stage in networking is to configure the computers in such a manner
    that they can "ping" each other.

    You will need to configure the Windows machine and the Linux machine with
    compatible IP addresses (eg 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2)

    If you want to use Windows as the internet gateway machine, you will need to
    install and configure appropriate internet gateway software on the Windows
    machine.

    A more ideal solution would be to attach a modem to the Linux machine, and use
    that as a gateway.

    You have got some learning to do, whichever solution you decide on.

    I recommend that you post again once the two machines are pinging each other.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    Quinton
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 422 6580

    Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donottypethisbit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/


  3. Re: Networking Windows?


    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > I am not sure what exactly you are trying to do.


    I am trying to get any network at all, so that I can the i-net.

    > The first stage in networking is to configure the computers in such a

    manner
    > that they can "ping" each other.


    I just got that working; I am so happy!

    > You will need to configure the Windows machine and the Linux machine

    with
    > compatible IP addresses (eg 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2)


    I realized that the IP on the Win98FE was not static, and I quickly
    fixed.

    > If you want to use Windows as the internet gateway machine, you will

    need to
    > install and configure appropriate internet gateway software on the

    Windows
    > machine.


    Could you please tell me more about this software, like an example?

    > A more ideal solution would be to attach a modem to the Linux

    machine, and
    > use that as a gateway.


    The laptop, to my hatred, has a built-in winmodem. That is not a
    feasible
    option.

    > You have got some learning to do, whichever solution you decide on.

    I am a complete newbie at networking, only some experience.

    One other thing, though. After pinging, no other part of the network
    worked,
    much like before this process. How do I get a file or internet transfer
    going?

    Thanks very much,
    poly-p man


  4. Re: Networking Windows?

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:51:08 -0800, pyrophobicman wrote:

    > I was just doing a small networking job for a friend, when they said
    > they wanted to access the internet from a laptop running FC2/WINXPhome
    > (while in FC), through a computer running WIN98FE's modem (56k). So I
    > got windows to windows working. It worked perfectly; transferring huge
    > files quickly. So I got to Linux to do anything, and not much happened.
    > The eth0, which I made sure had the right hardware/software settings,
    > could not read the IP address. I quickly looked up on the i-net, and
    > found several different people with similar problems. I tryed every
    > amb-related thing and everything cifs, and none of it worked. Please
    > help me, it makes me look silly!
    > Thanks ahead,
    > Poly-poly man


    You need to work on satisfying the following requirements:-

    1. The local area network needs to be working properly (Windows file
    sharing and/or SaMBa are not required).

    2. The Windows machine needs to be routing packets on behalf of other
    machines on the LAN. To do this, you probably want some software that
    provides NAT (Network Address Translation - look it up).

    3. The Linux client needs to have its default gateway set to the IP
    address of the gateway machine. Also, if your gateway doesn't provide a
    DNS service for name resolution, you should enter the ISP's DNS server
    addresses in /etc/resolv.conf.

    Cheers,
    Minderbinder.


  5. Re: Networking Windows?

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:41:40 -0800, Poly-poly Man thoughtfully wrote:

    >
    > Mark Hobley wrote:
    >> I am not sure what exactly you are trying to do.

    >
    > I am trying to get any network at all, so that I can the i-net.
    >
    >> The first stage in networking is to configure the computers in such a

    > manner
    >> that they can "ping" each other.

    >
    > I just got that working; I am so happy!
    >
    >> You will need to configure the Windows machine and the Linux machine

    > with
    >> compatible IP addresses (eg 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2)

    >
    > I realized that the IP on the Win98FE was not static, and I quickly fixed.
    >
    >> If you want to use Windows as the internet gateway machine, you will

    > need to
    >> install and configure appropriate internet gateway software on the

    > Windows
    >> machine.

    >
    > Could you please tell me more about this software, like an example?
    >
    >> A more ideal solution would be to attach a modem to the Linux

    > machine, and
    >> use that as a gateway.

    >
    > The laptop, to my hatred, has a built-in winmodem. That is not a feasible
    > option.
    >
    >> You have got some learning to do, whichever solution you decide on.

    > I am a complete newbie at networking, only some experience.
    >
    > One other thing, though. After pinging, no other part of the network
    > worked,
    > much like before this process. How do I get a file or internet transfer
    > going?
    >
    > Thanks very much,
    > poly-p man



    From your other post is sounds like you got the win to win to i-net
    working. I would take the Windows ip address from the win/fc box that
    connects to the winmodem box and use that as the IP Address for FC
    pointing to the winmodem box as the gateway.

    $ sudo ifconfig eth0 addr 192.168.0.x # ip addr from windows side

    $ ping 192.168.0.1 # assuming that is the winmodem box address

    $ sudo route add gw 192.168.0.1 # assuming good ping

    After good pings to 192.168.0.1 then you can setup samba.



  6. Re: Networking Windows?

    Minderbinder wrote:

    > 2. The Windows machine needs to be routing packets on behalf of other
    > machines on the LAN. To do this, you probably want some software that
    > provides NAT (Network Address Translation - look it up).


    There is a package that is supplied with Windows called "Internet Connection
    Sharing".

    You can use this if you want or there are plenty of freeware routing packages
    available.

    It has been a few years since I have used a Windows router, so I can't
    remember which one I used.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    Quinton
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 422 6580

    Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donottypethisbit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/


  7. Re: Networking Windows?


    >
    > There is a package that is supplied with Windows called "Internet

    Connection
    > Sharing".


    Note the "Win98FE" in my original post. ICS was not around back then.

    > You can use this if you want or there are plenty of freeware routing

    packages
    > available.

    I tryed a couple, but I didn't find results, even in Freesco. On UBCD,
    ubcd.sourceforge.net though, I saw a dos boot disk called "Bart's N/W
    Boot Disk" I was able to do a file transfer on this.

    Another person posted about static IP addresses. I had a lot of fun
    with this. Every OS except Windows worked with Static. With the DHCP in
    windows, though, it claims that it cannot find the IP address. It still
    works, and knows both sides of the network's IPs. Weird.

    This was perfect for transferring files from the 98FE to the laptop's
    linux; he could use Knoppix. Then something hit. (long, semi
    interesting story coming up!)

    This laptop had a dvd reader. No writer at all. He wanted these two
    large files from the linux on the laptop to the 98FE. After one attempt
    myself, I realized that you can't write to ntfs partitions from
    Knoppix. After a couple of days and several unsuccesful attempts, I
    thought of one thing: a FAT partition just for going backwards. BOY WAS
    THAT FUN! I managed to use QTParted to free up enogh space for this. At
    that point, I had to boot back into windows (because QTParted doesn't
    support new partitions.) Using Disk manager (under XP), I was able to
    created a totally stable FAT32 partition. I then (tryed to) boot into
    linux to copy the files. As soon as the hd started up, I was faced with
    a GRUB bash. After a little of internet searching, I found info on
    booting to Windows, but not linux. On knoppix, I found that the Evil
    Dictator (bill) screwed up the partition table completely. the EXT2
    partition that was hda2 became hda4. After much fun with knoppix and
    GRUB bash, I got it all back. And my friend became a shepherd. The end!

    Poly-p man


  8. Re: Networking Windows?

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 15:58:27 -0800, Poly-poly Man wrote:

    >> There is a package that is supplied with Windows called "Internet

    > Connection
    >> Sharing".

    >
    > Note the "Win98FE" in my original post. ICS was not around back then.


    I actually thought FE was a typo and you really meant 98SE (where ICS was
    introduced). The original release was called Windows 98 - you're
    confusing people by calling it "98FE".


+ Reply to Thread