ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please ! - Linux

This is a discussion on ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please ! - Linux ; Hi guys and girls, I decided a wanted to give Linux a bash as an operating system for my server. I was using Windows Server 2003, but I fancied a change (in the hope of more stability and better performance). ...

  1. ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    Hi guys and girls,

    I decided a wanted to give Linux a bash as an operating system for my
    server. I was using Windows Server 2003, but I fancied a change (in
    the hope of more stability and better performance). So, I have
    installed Fedora 3. I would post the Kernel version, but at the moment
    the computer has hung and I need to leave it on so that I can use the
    internet . I think its somewhere in the region of 2.6.99. I will be
    able to find out later.

    I managed to get my PCMCIA wireless card working using NDISWRAPPER
    (after a small fight). I got all my network shares setup using SAMBA.
    I configured IP ROUTING and NAT so that the internet could be routed
    over the wireless network. I set up MySQL and APACHE. Everything was
    running perfect (for once !). I go to use the machine this morning,
    and the machine wasn't accessible. I pinged its IP across the wired,
    and wireless LAN and there was no joy. I looked at the machine itself,
    and it would not respond to mouse or keyboard movement.

    So, I restart the machine (using the button on the front), and it
    freezes on bootup after loading HAL DAEMON. So, another hardware
    restart later, and it loads up. Now I have the error message that
    Mount point 0 does not exist. It continues to boot, and I log in using
    root. I type all the relavent command lines to begin the internet
    sharing and DNS resolution. But, now Fedora won't mount my FAT32
    partition. It is set up in FSTAB to mount automatically, but it now
    doesnt mount (it had done previously). When I tried to open terminal
    to mount it, GNOME stopped responding, and the whole panel crashed.

    Now, whenever I log in, I get about 2mins of use before it just logs
    me out by itself. I tried to log in again and it has just frozen on
    the screen which shows the devices loading (big blue box with Fedora
    Core in the middle). The mouse still moves but it will not respond to
    any key presses.

    Is there any chance anyone out there might know whats going on with
    this stupid operating system? I'm getting very close to crawling back
    to Windows Server as it was a lot easier to configure and was a lot
    more stable (it could stay on for weeks without a hitch).

    Regards,
    Ben Lessani

  2. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    The kernel is 2.6.9-1.667.

  3. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    ben lessani wrote:
    > Hi guys and girls,
    >
    > I decided a wanted to give Linux a bash as an operating system for my
    > server. I was using Windows Server 2003, but I fancied a change (in
    > the hope of more stability and better performance). So, I have
    > installed Fedora 3. I would post the Kernel version, but at the moment
    > the computer has hung and I need to leave it on so that I can use the
    > internet . I think its somewhere in the region of 2.6.99. I will be
    > able to find out later.
    >
    > I managed to get my PCMCIA wireless card working using NDISWRAPPER
    > (after a small fight). I got all my network shares setup using SAMBA.
    > I configured IP ROUTING and NAT so that the internet could be routed
    > over the wireless network. I set up MySQL and APACHE. Everything was
    > running perfect (for once !). I go to use the machine this morning,
    > and the machine wasn't accessible. I pinged its IP across the wired,
    > and wireless LAN and there was no joy. I looked at the machine itself,
    > and it would not respond to mouse or keyboard movement.
    >
    > So, I restart the machine (using the button on the front), and it
    > freezes on bootup after loading HAL DAEMON. So, another hardware
    > restart later, and it loads up. Now I have the error message that
    > Mount point 0 does not exist. It continues to boot, and I log in using
    > root. I type all the relavent command lines to begin the internet
    > sharing and DNS resolution. But, now Fedora won't mount my FAT32
    > partition. It is set up in FSTAB to mount automatically, but it now
    > doesnt mount (it had done previously). When I tried to open terminal
    > to mount it, GNOME stopped responding, and the whole panel crashed.
    >
    > Now, whenever I log in, I get about 2mins of use before it just logs
    > me out by itself. I tried to log in again and it has just frozen on
    > the screen which shows the devices loading (big blue box with Fedora
    > Core in the middle). The mouse still moves but it will not respond to
    > any key presses.
    >
    > Is there any chance anyone out there might know whats going on with
    > this stupid operating system? I'm getting very close to crawling back
    > to Windows Server as it was a lot easier to configure and was a lot
    > more stable (it could stay on for weeks without a hitch).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ben Lessani

    Check the logs:
    less /var/log/messages
    less /var/log/syslog

    I would rather blame instability on faulty hardware then on Linux.
    And if it's not hardware, I would say you messed something up yourself.

    Mihai

  4. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    As well as the general instability, I have found another fault
    (probably my own). I am using IP masquerading to route the internet,
    after I start it, and then start DNS, the system works fine. But as
    soon as I being to access the MySQL database the whole server will
    FREEZE.

    I will check the logs later, but again, the machine has frozen (after
    changing the desktop wallpaper). Then I will post the results on here.

  5. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    There is no syslog, and I'm not sure what to look out for. There isn't
    really any errors that stand out.

  6. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    ben wrote:
    > There is no syslog, and I'm not sure what to look out for. There isn't
    > really any errors that stand out.

    Do you mean you have typed "less /var/log/syslog" in the console and
    you got the error "No such file or directory" ?...
    If so, please try the following:

    dmesg > out.txt
    ps ax >> out.txt
    ifconfig >> out.txt
    mount >> out.txt
    less /etc/fstab >> out.txt

    And post the file out.txt here. If everything freezes so badly, the
    most likely problems are bad hardware (as I said), or inter-process
    communication problems, for example no "/tmp" directory, loopback
    network interface down or something similar. I imagine a corrupted
    filesystem could also have this effect. If you use NFS, a malfunctioning
    NFS server can freeze up your station.
    The file mounting problems you mentioned should be the starting point
    for your search. If the graphical system doesn't allow you to check
    what's wrong, switch to a text-mode console - press Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or
    F2..F6) and run the commands from there. To switch back to X-windows,
    press Ctrl-Alt-F7. It surprises me that you know how to configure NAT
    and DNS, but you don't know how to run a proper diagnostic.

    Mihai

  7. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    ....I've read a lot of tutorials. I've only been using linux for 3 days
    now. I have been searching on google for a fair while about possible
    causes for crashing. I tried a few things and it seems to have smoothed
    out now. I pulled a stick of ram and a wireless card (it was a 2nd
    wireless card in the machine) and it seems to be good (touch wood).

    I had so much instability before it was unreal, phpmyadmin wouldnt even
    perform queries without timing out.

    But now, it seems pretty good. At the moment it is a
    - Fileserver
    - Webserver (MySQL PHP HTML etc.)
    - Gameserver
    - Wireless router
    ....all at the same time. I will report back in a few days to report the
    system stability.

    Ps. how can I change the power settings so that the monitor doesnt turn
    off after a certain amount of time.

  8. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    ben wrote:

    > Ps. how can I change the power settings so that the monitor doesnt turn
    > off after a certain amount of time.

    If you're using Gnome desktop, take a look at
    Preferences/Screensaver from the main menu. There are monitor power
    settings on the Advanced tab.

    -- Ron

  9. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    On 26 Feb 2005 04:05:09 -0800, lessani@gmail.com (ben lessani) wrote:

    >I'm getting very close to crawling back
    >to Windows Server as it was a lot easier to configure and was a lot
    >more stable (it could stay on for weeks without a hitch).

    While you're still knew to linux, you'll be cursing it all the time.
    But once you get the hang of how things are done, you'll wonder why
    anyone would ever use windows as a server.

    Dan

  10. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    I have been shouting at the damn thing for days, since I set it up.
    I've managed to re-install the operating system a good 4/5 times. It
    seems to have lasted one whole night without going down (so I'll see
    how things go).

    At the moment I'm using gnome desktop, and I pretty much leave the
    machine logged on as root. Is there anyway I can just boot the thing up
    into the command line, but still have my ethernet devices etc. working
    the same way they did in gnome ? would it be any more beneficial to
    leave it in command line (performance...stability) ?

    ben

  11. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    Spake Dan:
    > On 26 Feb 2005 04:05:09 -0800, lessani@gmail.com (ben lessani) wrote:
    >
    > >I'm getting very close to crawling back
    > >to Windows Server as it was a lot easier to configure and was a lot
    > >more stable (it could stay on for weeks without a hitch).

    > While you're still new to linux, you'll be cursing it all the time.
    > But once you get the hang of how things are done, you'll wonder why
    > anyone would ever use windows as a server.

    If I may make so bold, the ideal situtation is to find a pal with a
    couple of years (or more) running Linux system(s). In all likelihood an
    old hand would look at the startup messages, say[0] "Oh, you've forgotten
    to winkel the frozzbag!" and your problem would be gone.

    The best place to find Linux help is your local Linux User Group (LUG).
    You can find a fairly comprehensive list at http://www.linux.org/groups/

    In particular, try to get to an InstallFest, where a whole bunch of
    newbies and experts get together in an effort to get Linux up and
    running on as many machines in as short a time as possible.

    [0] Of course, he might say "Oh, you can't use that mobo and disk
    together under Linux!" and you'll have to swap in some different
    hardware. So it goes.

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    CANCER is caused by sloppy programming on God's part.

  12. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 04:05:09 -0800, ben lessani wrote:

    > Is there any chance anyone out there might know whats going on with this
    > stupid operating system? I'm getting very close to crawling back to
    > Windows Server as it was a lot easier to configure and was a lot more
    > stable (it could stay on for weeks without a hitch).

    Here we go with the "I'm not a troll troll again".

    Yes, there are a lot of us out here that know how to make it work... but
    If you can't ask a question without being an asshole you're out of luck.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

  13. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    > [0] Of course, he might say "Oh, you can't use that mobo and disk
    > together under Linux!" and you'll have to swap in some different
    > hardware. So it goes.

    Well, the expert would go those don't play well together. The only way to
    use them successfully (at least to a limited extent) is to do blah blah
    blah.

    Or if they're like me, it'll be something like I'll trade this lesser
    thing for that and get it working for you as well. It's amazing how many
    people will just give you their old systems if you get their new ones
    prettied up. Not that I need anymore 486 door stops.

    ---

    But as for the issue at hand, it sounds like you have a misconfigured X
    environment. As it's about the only thing I've found to crash the system
    consistently. Besides bad win-modem drivers/configurations. You might
    try running the servitude on only the cli and if that fixes your stability
    issues you at least know where to start looking. Second in line would be
    ACPI. Followed by anything VIA.

    Fedora for a server environment just seems odd to me. As it's in theory
    geared towards the desktop user. And lacks many of the server extras of
    the full fledged RHEL package. It's also a test bed of sorts so it's
    bound to be quirky by default.

    Also if you happen to be stricken with via. You might try a few things.
    Upgrading the bios to the latest version. note: may not be easy to come
    by or even the official recommended upgrade for your system.

    Some parts don't play well together. Realtek 8139, Alsa for via82xx, and
    USB on via do not seem to play well together. At least for some things
    like usb printers and usb storage devices. You might find yourself better
    off unconfiguring and rmmod'ing the modules for some of those while you do
    stuff with only one of those to ensure useability/stability. There's also
    some kernel parms that might help. acpi=on apm=off pci=noacpi

    HTH,
    Shadow_7

  14. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 02:33:42 -0800, ben thoughtfully wrote:

    > I have been shouting at the damn thing for days, since I set it up. I've
    > managed to re-install the operating system a good 4/5 times. It seems to
    > have lasted one whole night without going down (so I'll see how things
    > go).
    >
    > At the moment I'm using gnome desktop, and I pretty much leave the machine
    > logged on as root. Is there anyway I can just boot the thing up into the
    > command line, but still have my ethernet devices etc. working the same way
    > they did in gnome ? would it be any more beneficial to leave it in command
    > line (performance...stability) ?
    >
    > ben

    I'm late to this thread so....

    Did you Memtest86 your system memory before installing? It could you
    pulled the wrong stick. Another poster mentioned hardware conflicts.

    Not all Linux distributions work on all systems. You could try another
    distro.

  15. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    @ Ivan. Asshole ? wow this is exciting, I've never been 'flamed'
    before, let me enjoy this moment to the fullest by going crazy. I know
    everything in the world and you know nothing, and something about your
    mum. <- did I do it right ?

    now i've got that out my system.....my system has been on a whole 24
    hours now and the only problem i've had is that the permissions on a
    folder managed to 'change' so after about 16 hours, i no longer had
    write access to the folder (v. strange).

    i now get the "whole mount point 0" does not exist error, which is
    annoying. so i removed the line from fstab which automounts the fat32
    partition. i just mount it manually when the pc boots (as i need to run
    a few commands for ip masquerading anyway).

    i only tried fedora because the only distro i'd played with (literally,
    all i did was play the old school games on it) was redhat. and i
    noticed they discontinued it so i grabbed the unsupported flavour off
    their website, fedora. i didnt really know which distros are good as
    servers etc.

    like i said all seems to be working about now, if i have anymore
    problems, i will be sure to post them.

    ben

    ---------------------------------THREAD
    CLOSED---------------------------------

  16. Re: ridiculous unstability with fedora 3......help me please !

    On 28 Feb 2005 02:33:42 -0800, "ben" wrote:

    >Is there anyway I can just boot the thing up
    >into the command line, but still have my ethernet devices etc. working
    >the same way they did in gnome ?

    Have a look in /etc/inittab. You should see a line something like
    this:

    id:5:initdefault:

    The number 5 is the runlevel. The text in my inittab (Debian) is:

    # Runlevel 0 is halt.
    # Runlevel 1 is single-user.
    # Runlevels 2-5 are multi-user.
    # Runlevel 6 is reboot.

    I think the run level you want for Fedora is 3. This will boot you
    into a multi-user, fully running system, but won't bring up the gnome
    gui. Just change the 5 to a 3 and reboot. (Try and find out first if
    3 is what you want for Fedora).

    You might find WinSCP and Putty useful. Both are for remote access
    from a Windows box. You need to have ssh running on your server.
    Putty will give you a command line, and WinSCP will give you file
    access from a Windows window.

    Dan

+ Reply to Thread