what is file~ ? - Linux

This is a discussion on what is file~ ? - Linux ; So I discovered my .vimrc file the other day. I got really excited and modified it by typing "set number" and saved it in the home directory. Now when I look in directories and see files created or modified by ...

  1. what is file~ ?

    So I discovered my .vimrc file the other day. I got really excited and
    modified it by typing "set number" and saved it in the home directory.
    Now when I look in directories and see files created or modified by
    vim, I see an additional file as follows:

    cedit
    cedit~

    What is the file followed by the tilde (~)?

  2. Re: what is file~ ?

    On 25 Feb 2005 09:43:48 -0800, Chris wrote:
    > So I discovered my .vimrc file the other day. I got really excited and
    > modified it by typing "set number" and saved it in the home directory.
    > Now when I look in directories and see files created or modified by
    > vim, I see an additional file as follows:
    >
    > cedit
    > cedit~
    >
    > What is the file followed by the tilde (~)?

    the original prior to modification.

  3. Re: what is file~ ?

    Up spake Chris:
    > What is the file followed by the tilde (~)?

    By convention, files with the suffix '~' are backup files. Similarly,
    the '.' prefix indicates a hidden file and '#' as both a prefix and a
    suffix indicates an autosave file.

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    In the beginning was the Word and it was written by a baboon.

+ Reply to Thread