which tool? - Linux

This is a discussion on which tool? - Linux ; I'm a newbie to scripting/programming, so I have a basic question. How do I know which languages are best for the task at hand? For scripting, I tend to use either csh/tcsh or Perl, but I know Python, too. For ...

  1. which tool?

    I'm a newbie to scripting/programming, so I have a basic question. How
    do I know which languages are best for the task at hand? For
    scripting, I tend to use either csh/tcsh or Perl, but I know Python,
    too. For the record, I'm a language agnostic. I tend to use what I am
    comfortable with or what my employers want me to use. From my limited
    experience (I worked at a vfx studio for a month as a Junior Sys
    Admin), I feel that csh is good when you want to do one simple task
    well. Anything more complicated is usually best done in Perl or a
    similar scripting language. Any thoughts?

  2. Re: which tool?

    Up spake Chris:
    > I tend to use what I am comfortable with

    That pretty much sums it up. Familiarity gives you a HUGE head start
    when picking a language for a new project, especially if you can
    copy-and-paste code from old projects.

    When asked to do task $foo, you actions should approximate:

    - Look on freshmeat et al for something that does $foo.
    - If you find something, stop.
    - If you find something that nearly does $foo, read it.
    - If you can fix the last little thing, do so. Stop.
    - (Else) implement it in a language you know well.

    Learning new languages is something you do as a hobby, not in order to
    write a new project from the ground up.

    --
    -trent
    Like most computer techie people, I'll happily spend 6 hours trying to

  3. Re: which tool?

    On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:55:12AM -0800, Chris wrote:
    > I'm a newbie to scripting/programming, so I have a basic question. How
    > do I know which languages are best for the task at hand? For
    > scripting, I tend to use either csh/tcsh or Perl, but I know Python,
    > too. For the record, I'm a language agnostic. I tend to use what I am
    > comfortable with or what my employers want me to use. From my limited
    > experience (I worked at a vfx studio for a month as a Junior Sys
    > Admin), I feel that csh is good when you want to do one simple task
    > well. Anything more complicated is usually best done in Perl or a
    > similar scripting language. Any thoughts?

    Which ever tool you feel comfortable with is the right tool to use,
    I use bash, perl, and awk depending on what it is I'm trying to do.

    Cheers

    Joel

+ Reply to Thread