custom Linux COPY /not/ "from scratch" - Linux

This is a discussion on custom Linux COPY /not/ "from scratch" - Linux ; + Ive looked at several of the "make your own Linux" pages without really finding what Im looking for... what I most want to do is just COPY my existing system to a reloadable CD form, rather than write a ...

  1. custom Linux COPY /not/ "from scratch"

    +
    Ive looked at several of the "make your own Linux"
    pages without really finding what Im looking for... what
    I most want to do is just COPY my existing system to a
    reloadable CD form, rather than write a new distribution.

    For instance... if I have Suse installed, with a
    certain selection of packages which I always use; Id
    like to save or copy just these installed packages
    (minus my own files) to a CD, so I can reload/reinstall
    it all as a new working system.

    Anybody suggest how to try this ?

  2. Re: custom Linux COPY /not/ "from scratch"

    Up spake stuseven@hotmail.com:
    > I want to just COPY my existing system to a reloadable CD form

    You want something like mondo
    http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

    > For instance... if I have Suse installed, with a
    > certain selection of packages which I always use; Id
    > like to save or copy just these installed packages
    > (minus my own files) to a CD, so I can reload/reinstall
    > it all as a new working system.

    That's different. What you want is called an SOE -- Standard Operating
    Environment. Large companies often build them for the reason you
    describe.

    One of the work experience guys was building one for Fedora a couple of
    weeks ago. I'll ask what he was using.

    --
    -trent
    Simple only equals better for crack addicts and web developers.

+ Reply to Thread