Badblocks on NTFS - Linux

This is a discussion on Badblocks on NTFS - Linux ; Hello everybody, can I safely use badblocks to check surface integrity with -n (non-destructive read-write) on a NTFS partition without losing data? Thanks...

  1. Badblocks on NTFS

    Hello everybody,
    can I safely use badblocks to check surface integrity with -n
    (non-destructive read-write) on a NTFS partition without losing data?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Badblocks on NTFS

    Ghost wrote:
    > Hello everybody,
    > can I safely use badblocks to check surface integrity with -n
    > (non-destructive read-write) on a NTFS partition without losing data?
    >
    > Thanks

    Lucky you! I can't even mount NTFS partitions at all! You can use
    Knoppix for that, though, and I don't think you'll lose data.
    Feeling terribly unlucky,
    Poly-p man

  3. Re: Badblocks on NTFS

    >> Hello everybody,
    >> can I safely use badblocks to check surface integrity with -n
    >> (non-destructive read-write) on a NTFS partition without losing data?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Lucky you! I can't even mount NTFS partitions at all! You can use
    > Knoppix for that, though, and I don't think you'll lose data.
    > Feeling terribly unlucky,
    > Poly-p man

    Strange I can mount (read only) ntfs partitions every day without
    problems... in fstab I have

    /dev/hde2 /mnt/winxp ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

    I want to use knoppix to verify a defective ntfs partition at surface level,
    but I have to be sure I will not lose data.

    Thanks
    Davide

+ Reply to Thread